Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 9:03:09 AM EDT
I don't want metal cans and all the plastic ones I have seen are terrible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer..... No....   good thing I don't live in Kalifornia...   I just use the 5 Gal race type fuel jugz now...

I have these in 5 gal and 2.5 Gal
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
no. They all pretty much suck now.

The 1st gen push-down types were terrible, especially for the weed whacker.
The 2nd gen handle/lever types are actually really awesome if you remove the lock mechanism. These are probably better than the old school, so they had to take them away.
The 3rd gen (current) twist/unlock and then push is back to horrible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Canada

They have socialized medicine, but real fuel cans
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 2nd gen handle/lever types are actually really awesome if you remove the lock mechanism. These are probably better than the old school, so they had to take them away.
View Quote

The push back types are just pure crap. They leak and spill all over the place.  How is that saving the environment?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Pre-ban is awesome. Take entire cap off to fill. To pour open upper can and pull out flex spout. Never spilled a drop.

Fast forward to last summer. Bought a can to move some fuel around. Out of the 4 gallon can I think ONE gallon made it on my
Jeep. The rest was on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen more fuel spilled with these new gen models then in my entire life otherwise.

How in the tuk did these products pass R&D?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I still have some five gallon plastic containers from around 1990.  The spout works great.

KMA EPA
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Canada

View Quote

Can I order them?

I don't live that far from Canada. I was actually considering driving up there to buy a toilet too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
the EPA f***** up the gas cans. what I do now is buy water jugs- you can still find a water jug that they haven't managed to screw up. I use them for gas and diesel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a video on youtube about how to turn the anti-spill ones into standard cans.

Remove some crap from the nozzle, then drill a hole in the back, and install a tire valve step for the vent.  Remove the valve core from the center and just put the dust cap over the end.

It's all outlined in the video.

All in all, in the future I will need to buy some new containers.  These old containers I have lying around aren't getting any newer.  Had to make a few cork caps for the nozzles because the plastic ones have been long lost.  And the caps for the vent holes are cracked and glued/duct taped.

They still work though.  Only use them for snow blower and lawn mower.  They don't get transported except to/from gas station.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#11]
go to Cabelas @ Polaris and pick up the racing gas cans they have
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
They also sell "repair" kits to convert the nozzles
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There is a video on youtube about how to turn the anti-spill ones into standard cans.

View Quote

Remove some crap from the nozzle, then drill a hole in the back, and install a tire valve step for the vent.  Remove the valve core from the center and just put the dust cap over the end.

All in all, in the future I will need to buy some new containers.  These old containers I have lying around aren't getting any newer.  Had to make a few cork caps for the nozzles because the plastic ones have been long lost.  And the caps for the vent holes are cracked and glued/duct taped.

They still work though.  Only use them for snow blower and lawn mower.  They don't get transported except to/from gas station.

came in to post this. A video was going round sometime back on how to cut all the crap off the can and make it usable.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done this to one. It's better, but not great.

If memory serves me, someone in the survival forum scored 13 or so MFCs for like $100 bucks a couple months ago. Made me jealous to the point of illness.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can I order them?

I don't live that far from Canada. I was actually considering driving up there to buy a toilet too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Canada

Can I order them?

You'd be amazed what you can find on Amazon and Ebay good sir.

Edit: to be fair, you could just google the model and type.  It's not like smuggling heroine through the zoo using chimps.  I was just kidding.  It sucks you have to throw money at another economy though.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
http://ezpourspout.com

great replacement... here in CA we have to get the water spouts to repair our water cans....

only thing that sucks is that they dont have the ability to stuff the spout back into the can and properly "cap" the can like you could years ago...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#17]
That's classified.

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't make a gas can or a coffee decanter that can place liquid from one vessel to another without getting the contents all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]
i had the exact same problem.  I recently got Eagle UI-50-FS Red Galvanized Steel

It was the best thing i could find and $40-45 on amazon.

It had good reviews as well, but i haven't given it enough use yet myself.

Seeings as OP doesn't want metal its out for him though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They also sell "repair" kits to convert the nozzles
View Quote
They work nice as they're "water spouts."

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
The plastic water containers look pretty good.  Is there any difference other than color and a functional spout?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Also, what was the impetus for this? This was 'for the children' maybe?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

great replacement... here in CA we have to get the water spouts to repair our water cans....

only thing that sucks is that they dont have the ability to stuff the spout back into the can and properly "cap" the can like you could years ago...
View Quote

I've got several EZ pour spouts...they work well.

Put an EZ pour spout on the red sceptre cans they sell now and you have the best option that is currently sold.  I finally found some preban sceptres.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Youtube "how to fix a new gas can" and watch the old guy un-fuck one. Takes 5 minutes and a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a plastic one from Walmart that the nozzle had to be pushed and twisted. I tried it once then broke it and took out spring. Now it sits in flow position and works just like the old ones without a carb.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#26]
This comes up often enough to make me wonder if the EPA is who is asking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Take your pick.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, thanks for asking this. I thought I was having a short bus moment when most of my gas ended up on the ground next to the mower.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#29]
fuck carb compliant cans to hell
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Man, I just buy old school jerry cans.

You can also buy these from Amazon for $40... they're supposed to only be used for 'water', but sure look good for fuel too!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I go to flea markets and keep my eyes peeled for older cans. I picked up 4 more last summer, pretty much a lifetime supply now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I could just shoot the EPA "engineer" who came up with the new stupid cans...absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#33]

This works pretty well but the cans are still pretty thin.  The valve stems will swell too.  If you can't get some old jerry cans or preban sceptres, get these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200473764_200473764

and put some EZ pour spouts on them.  They have nice thick walls, almost as thick as the MFCs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I could just shoot the EPA "engineer" who came up with the new stupid cans...absolutely ridiculous.
View Quote

Yeah, it's really, really stupid.  Of course the people making these decisions don't have use for gas cans because they have people pump their gas.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for having "illegal" cans?  Even in CA?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Sportsmanscontainer.com
Best gas can you can get. They can't call it a fuel can but that is what it is. I have used them for years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sportsmanscontainer.com
Best gas can you can get. They can't call it a fuel can but that is what it is. I have used them for years.
View Quote

Those look just like the racing fuel jugs.  They do work well.  I prefer the ones that are square/rectangle because they store more compactly and kinda "stack" if you need em to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Drill a 1/2 hole and insert.  I got a few from ebay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

These are better than the valve stem method.  They come with the EZ pour spouts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
lots of good info here

tagged
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This comes up often enough to make me wonder if the EPA is who is asking.
View Quote

Lets save the paranoia for weapons and raw milk
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't know they were banning good gas cans a few years back and left one at my Arizona house for the renter to use and then sold the house and contents to him.

I bought new cans with spouts that wouldn't work until someone posted the ezpourspout.com site here.  I have converted all my new cans to pre-ban status.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I have a bunch of those from ebay, also.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man, I just buy old school jerry cans.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/images/11010%205%20Gallon%20Metal%20Gas%20Can.jpg

You can also buy these from Amazon for $40... they're supposed to only be used for 'water', but sure look good for fuel too!
View Quote

Those (the Amazon ones) don't look any different than the $28.00 ones I got from Sportsmans Guide?  Are they?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i had the exact same problem.  I recently got Eagle UI-50-FS Red Galvanized Steel

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3400/b2351/products/465/images/814/51gqCQjrciL._SY450___54382.1364848236.1280.1280.jpg

It was the best thing i could find and $40-45 on amazon.

It had good reviews as well, but i haven't given it enough use yet myself.

Seeings as OP doesn't want metal its out for him though.
View Quote

I have one of those, it's a good can
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I have found petroleum waste containers work well and are properly vented. Do not misuse this product.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#47]
If you don't give a shit if it's red or blue in color, just get some of these:  Scepter 5 gallon can at Amazon

If the blue color bothers you, get a sharpie and write GAS in big letters on the sides.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Canada

View Quote

I'd be willing to entertain the trade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The third gens work just fine if you rip out the guts and gorilla-glue the sliding parts together.  Add a tire valve vent, and you're in bidness!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought 6 of those...they work great!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top