Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sitting outside should never be an option for any of these old birds.  See my statement way up thread about the Memphis Belle.  When I saw her many (more than 40) years ago she was full of decades worth of bird nest and bird crap .  I wish she could have stayed in Memphis and been properly restored but at least she is in a much better home now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sad for loss of life, RIP, as well as loss of
another warbird...they ain't making no more
of 'em.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really wish they would just stop flying all these old birds while we still have a few to look at.  
View Quote

Not sure if serious. For every airworthy warbird out there, there's about a dozen or more static (non-flying) versions out there.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious. For every airworthy warbird out there, there's about a dozen or more static (non-flying) versions out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really wish they would just stop flying all these old birds while we still have a few to look at.  

That's good to know... Simply one of the most beautiful aircraft ever.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn.

That plane was one of five that flew over Kyle Field on Saturday as the National Anthem ended.

As I watched them putter and bounce about overhead, I could not help but wonder...you get the picture.

I wonder if this will impact any future flyovers of antique(is that the correct term) aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I double-checked, and in the case of the Mustang, flying examples actually outnumber static (non-flying) examples.

But for most other warbirds, this isn't the case. For some planes, there are only one or two flying examples, and the rest are all static:

There's only one flying B-29 left in the world, but there are 29 static versions on display.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Sad loss.

Any idea of what the cause was ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Actually, I double-checked, and in the case of the Mustang, flying examples actually outnumber static (non-flying) examples.

But for most other warbirds, this isn't the case. For some planes, there are only one or two flying examples, and the rest are all static:

There's only one flying B-29 left in the world, but there are 29 static versions on display.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many flying Mustangs?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The pilot was friend's with a member here... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1548335_Lost_a_friend_today.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:22:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's good to know that after we've destroyed all the flying warbirds, we'll still have some to look at.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well it's good to know that after we've destroyed all the flying warbirds, we'll still have some to look at.
View Quote

Seeing a warbird sitting in a museum is like watching the tigers at a crappy zoo.  Sure you can see the beauty that these creatures have but you just don't get to appreciate them for their innate abilities.

A person would be missing something if they never got to hear the roar of a Rolls Royce Merlin passing overhead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Pilot was a friends brother in law.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I say fly them until there is only 1 flight worthy model left, then just take it out for ground turns.

We lost the last flying HE-111 many years ago and IMHO, it should not have happened.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

World wide last I counted about 112
Only 25 O-2A's
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I want my grandchildrens grandchildren to be able to see these planes up close.  When I was a little kid my father and I went to see what was left of the Memphis Bell in Memphis.  It was a sad sight and this was in the early 1960's.  My father taught me how to fly our Cessna 182 when I was only 8 y/o just for the record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Want to know how I know you're not a pilot?  

And instead of "wishing" to deprive owners of their property, how about you cash in the farm, buy them all up and open a museum?

I want my grandchildrens grandchildren to be able to see these planes up close.  When I was a little kid my father and I went to see what was left of the Memphis Bell in Memphis.  It was a sad sight and this was in the early 1960's.  My father taught me how to fly our Cessna 182 when I was only 8 y/o just for the record.

There are plenty in museums already
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regarding the debate over flying around in irreplaceable vintage aircraft,  why can't we simply build modern copies?  Is that a stupid question?  

So the pleasure of flying a vintage plane outweighs the tragedy of destroying one.  Would it still if there was an exact clone copy available?  Honest questions...
View Quote

Almost all of them already are.  Minus some castings and the data plate.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I say fly them until there is only 1 flight worthy model left, then just take it out for ground turns.

We lost the last flying HE-111 many years ago and IMHO, it should not have happened.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=4ae77738-4cd1-451f-8cc6-ce96256729f8

View Quote

How in your opinion? NTSB report stated:

"A loss of engine power for reasons undetermined, and the pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control. Contributing factors were the unsuitable terrain on which to make a forced landing, low airspeed, the fence, automobile, and the school bus wash barn."

What was the avoidable event?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Regarding the debate over flying around in irreplaceable vintage aircraft,  why can't we simply build modern copies?  Is that a stupid question?  
So the pleasure of flying a vintage plane outweighs the tragedy of destroying one.  Would it still if there was an exact clone copy available?  Honest questions...
View Quote

Not a stupid question.
It only costs money.
Google up Everett ME-262, that should answer your question about cost.

As far as the P-51 goes, there are plenty in museums across the world.
If the .gov and .mil would allow it, there are still quite a few that could be recovered and made operational again.

Does someone get mad when an owner of a vintage Ferrari or Indy car wraps one up during an exhibition (or real) race?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#22]
There are more than a few non-flyable ones on static display in museums. I say keep flying the ones you can!

Sad about the loss of life but the aircraft I'm sure will be salvaged and I'm sure rebuilt. They are too valuable to leave one that should be an easy recovery. Have you seen the lengths that people go to to find, recover and restore these planes?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I tend to agree sadly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree sadly.

There's still so many of them out there today.

Buy one if you want.  http://www.globalplanesearch.com/usa/warbirds/combat/north_american/p_51_mustang.htm?sort=price

List of almost 300 P51's still in existence:  mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/?survivors/98877677/complete_survivors

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"A loss of engine power for reasons undetermined, and the pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control. Contributing factors were the unsuitable terrain on which to make a forced landing, low airspeed, the fence, automobile, and the school bus wash barn."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=4ae77738-4cd1-451f-8cc6-ce96256729f8

The plane never should have left the tarmac to begin with ?  Im pretty sure that's his point.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#25]
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.”
-William Shedd
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are plenty on static display. Sure, you get to look at them, but do you get to hear that beast of an engine breathe? There is nothing like it. Listen to it go to full power on the runway, screaming into the air?

Those birds were built to fly. Saying we should stop flying them is like saying we should just lock our guns up in a case because we might have an ND someday or we might get an overcharged round and have a KB.

That said, this is sill very sad for all involved.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The plane never should have left the tarmac to begin with ?  Im pretty sure that's his point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's never flown a Warbird then.
Would never fly the last of a breed, but other than that fly em!

They are not safe even in museums. They are lost to storms, fire, and vandalism.
I would rather see them go doing what they were built for. The loss of life is tragic, but they were doing what they loved.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#28]
damn.  Sorry to hear that.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Uh, actually you did. Your words sir were; "I really wish they would just stop flying these old birds..."  

View Quote

The first step in getting out of the hole is to stop digging. Your personal feelings do not come at the expense of someone else's property rights.

Apparently you can't read.

He didn't wish the government would force them to stop flying.  He wished they would stop flying, period.  The owners deciding to stop flying them would achieve that end.  

Maybe YOU should stop digging.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The first step in getting out of the hole is to stop digging. Your personal feelings do not come at the expense of someone else's property rights.

He didn't wish the government would force them to stop flying.  He wished they would stop flying, period.  The owners deciding to stop flying them would achieve that end.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, actually you did. Your words sir were; "I really wish they would just stop flying these old birds..."  

If the EPA outlaws 100ll the .gov WILL outlaw flying these planes
Keep digging
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Blue skies for eternity. Life always catches up with you.   Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If the EPA outlaws 100ll the .gov WILL outlaw flying these planes
Keep digging
View Quote

Until there is a replacement for 100LL, there is no need to worry about that happening.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I wasn't saying they should force anyone to stop flying them.  Simply that I hate seeing them lost year after year!   Sheesh lighten up people!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep and stop driving old cars and stop sailing old boats and stop shooting old guns.

I wasn't saying they should force anyone to stop flying them.  Simply that I hate seeing them lost year after year!   Sheesh lighten up people!
I gotta agree on this. Don't stop flying them entirely but cut back....These planes are pushing close to 70 + years old and you have no idea what kind of shape they are in before they are restored.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I gotta agree on this. Don't stop flying them entirely but cut back....These planes are pushing close to 70 + years old and you have no idea what kind of shape they are in before they are restored.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep and stop driving old cars and stop sailing old boats and stop shooting old guns.

Many are not "restored".
"Rebuilt" is a better term.
The condition of the airframe is very well known.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.”
-William Shedd
View Quote

Well stated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

BULLSHIT!  

If you have ever been involved in a restoration of one of those beautiful birds you might know what you are talking about.  It's not like a car,  Slap some bondo and paint on it and patch a wire or two.

You sure as shit know the condition of an aircraft before you restore it,  because you tear the thing down to the spars and ribs while you do it.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, most old warbirds that are crashed are also immediately snatched up for rebuild projects.  The P-51 that crashed while landing and killed the pilot at Oshkosh a few years back was hauled directly to a rebuild facility.  I imagine that this Mustang will be fished out of the water and will fly again in the future.

There are almost enough new-build parts out on the market that someone could just about build a P-51 from the ground up using all new parts.  It's getting to be like the Model T market, where new cars can be built from scratch using reproduction parts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
but the aircraft I'm sure will be salvaged and I'm sure rebuilt.
View Quote

This was a high speed impact with water type of crash, not a controlled engine out landing.
Google up the images of the crash, it's not pretty.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

However, most old warbirds that are crashed are also immediately snatched up for rebuild projects. The P-51 that crashed while landing and killed the pilot at Oshkosh a few years back was hauled directly to a rebuild facility.  I imagine that this Mustang will be fished out of the water and will fly again in the future.

There are almost enough new-build parts out on the market that someone could just about build a P-51 from the ground up using all new parts.  It's getting to be like the Model T market, where new cars can be built from scratch using reproduction parts.
View Quote

Gerry Beck?  Precious metal?   If that is the plane you are talking about,  It has not been rebuilt.  It is in a rebuild shop because he owned the rebuild shop it is sitting at.  Last I heard his wife does not want to restore it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This was a high speed impact with water type of crash, not a controlled engine out landing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been looking for pics.  I cannot find them.  I have been curios as to weather it was a controlled or uncontrolled crash.  

The plane was a twin control also as I understand it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I read a couple of reports, they hinted that it was an extensive debris field.  I also heard that someone fishing nearby heard the splash and didn't see anything when they looked-sounds like a rapid descent.  How long does the NTSB usually take to release investigation results? Weeks? Months?  I hope this doesn't turn out to be an elevator trim tab like "Hurricane Hannah" or the Galloping Ghost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have been looking for pics.  I cannot find them.  I have been curios as to weather it was a controlled or uncontrolled crash.  
The plane was a twin control also as I understand it.
View Quote

http://www.khou.com/news/slideshows/Photos-Search-for-historic-P51-WWII-plane-in-Chocolate-Bay--228974351.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y#/news/slideshows/Photos-Search-for-historic-P51-WWII-plane-in-Chocolate-Bay--228974351.html?gallery=y&img=14&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y&c=y

It was built as a North American P-51D-25-NA Mustang
1951: RCAF 9294, Mar 16 1951 -- Aug 14 1959
1958: Jul 21, N6525D, James Defuria / Intercontinental Airways, Canastota NY
1960: N6347T, James Defuria / Intercontinental Airways, Canastota NY
1963: N554T, Ray Alexander, Memphis TN
1966: W.R. Rodgers, Rolling Fork MS
1969: to El Salvador as FAS 404 #2
Modified during FAS service to a TF-51, reported crashed
1974: N36FF, Jack Flaherty, wreck
1975: John Herlihy, Half Moon Bay CA
1975: N4151D, Gordon Plaskett, King City CA
1977: rebuilt using 44-74012, first flight Nov 22, "TF-660"
1981: Ben Bradley, Fort Lauderdale FL
1981: Basil Deuschle, Pompano Beach FL
1983: Don Whittington, Fort Lauderdale FL
1987: Robert Waltrip / Air SRV Inc / Lone Star Flight Museum, Houston TX
1988: Doug Arnold / Warbirds of Great Brittan, Biggin Hill UK - stayed in U.S.
1991: William Hane, flies as 44-84660, TF-660
2008: for sale
2009: Dec - N4151D sold to Lone Star Flight Museum, Galveston TX
Restoration at Ezell Aviation
To be painted as 359th FG "Galveston Gal"
2010: Mar 25 - Reg to Texas Aviation Hall of Fame
2011: Mar 7 - repainted and flown as "Galveston Gal". Work performed: full IRAN inspection, replacement of lower RH longeron, extended vertical stabilizer, main gear re-bushing, replacement of wing fuel cells and a very nice paint job. First flight by Tommy Gregory.
2013: Oct 23 - Galveston Texas: 44-73458 went down into Halls Lake near Chocolate Bay, both Pilot and Passenger did not survive. Condolences to the Lone Star Flight Museum, family and friends of the pilot and passenger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
snip.
View Quote

Thank you.

That definitely looks like an uncontrolled impact.  

Its hard to say but I do believe I recognize some of those parts that are floating.  As far as what they may be.  In the one photo it looks like the mangled fuselage just under the water.  From what I have read the water depth was around 9 or 10 feet where they went in.  

Very sad.  Not so much for the plane.  But the loss of lives.  The plane will be salvaged,  The pilot and passenger are truly the irreplaceable loss here.

RIP fellas.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Doesn't matter to the plane. Where do you think these are being pulled out of 70 years after they crashed? Dollars to donuts a plane with that data plate will fly again. See here for an example.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top