Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2013 8:47:08 AM EDT
I have my 9th test of the semester (2nd in this class) in my Fundamentals of Nursing class, in about 15min from now.  

Any advice ARFCOM?

ETA: I have not opened my book since last Tuesday.

Update 10/28:  score 37/42 = 88%
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
When in doubt, answer with FBHO or SIIHPAPP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't care enough to study....
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe I'm so smart I don't need to.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
BS or Associates?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I rarely ever studied in college, and did just fine...not every one needs or even has to study for exams.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BS or Associates?
View Quote

ADN (associates degree in nursing)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The answer is always to assess lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have my 9th test of the semester (2nd in this class) in my Fundamentals of Nursing class, in about 15min from now.  

Any advice ARFCOM?

ETA: I have not opened my book since last Tuesday.
View Quote

Remember to always be "therapeutic" in you voice and "empathize" with everyone.  And repeat what some just told you to ensure you're an "active listener."
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The answer is always to assess lol
View Quote

And then notify md
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Always think abc (airway, breathing, circulation) and know maslows hierarchy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's always ABC.  Except of course when it's CAB.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
ABC and Potassium.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except when it's MARCH.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS or Associates?

Good luck getting into a hospital, things have changed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS or Associates?

This, esp w/no exp, My daughter graduated about 6mths ago took forever to land any gig, finally a crappy nursing home, she quit after 2 mths, starting new gig in Nov, hope your job market is better than ours or you have hook ups in hospitals. Best of luck, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I rarely ever studied in college, and did just fine...not every one needs or even has to study for exams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

YOU have not attended nursing school.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was the case, you sure as hell wouldn't come to GD for advice.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have that attitude when you get out of school. Veteran nurses will eat you alive. You don't know shit. I don't care I you were an emt, medic, or anesthesiologist.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Red, right, return!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS or Associates?

Job is already lined up in a hospital
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Test is done, I feel good.

I did not ace it, but I'm very confident I passed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This, esp w/no exp, My daughter graduated about 6mths ago took forever to land any gig, finally a crappy nursing home, she quit after 2 mths, starting new gig in Nov, hope your job market is better than ours or you have hook ups in hospitals. Best of luck, YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS or Associates?

I currently work in an ER and have a job lined up there when I'm done with school.
That and the director for the ortho floor says she will hire me as well ( I have worked for her before)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife is in nursing school (going for a RN-BSN).  From what she's told me, it's hard as hell, and she's brilliant.

Mainly the long lists of stuff to memorize that are challenging.  The procedural stuff she's done has been easy to pick up.  She's looking forward to clinicals.
If you don't study daily, you won't last long, at least not in the harder classes.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I currently work in an ER and have a job lined up there when I'm done with school.

That and the director for the ortho floor says she will hire me as well ( I have worked for her before)
View Quote

What do you do in the ER now?  Going back for a higher level cert/degree?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

low rent school or just an easy major?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't think nursing school was academically challenging. Time consuming and jumping through all the moving hoops... that was a pain.
I studied before each test for 2-3 hours.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#27]
OP what state are you in... I have heard about some states that want nothing but experienced nurses or those with a bsn or both.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#28]
My title is Emergency Care Tech, basically I'm a glorified CNA that can start IV's
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Michigan.  Most places here want you to have a BSN, some will hire an ADN if you sign a contract stating you agree to go back and get your BSN within a certain time frame.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally I study several hours per week, did not have time last week to study for everything.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My wife is in nursing school (going for a RN-BSN).  From what she's told me, it's hard as hell, and she's brilliant.
Mainly the long lists of stuff to memorize that are challenging.  The procedural stuff she's done has been easy to pick up.  She's looking forward to clinicals.

If you don't study daily, you won't last long, at least not in the harder classes.

View Quote

It is also the amount of coursework crammed into a BSN (as well as other allied health professional bachelors). Once in-program you are taking the equivalent to 23-26 credits a semester. I had 7 finals in one week.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS or Associates?

i've been in medical sales for 12 years and sadly they're kinda right - for the hospitals they're labeled as nurse assistant or get a LTC work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I failed fundamentals .... So now I'm just twice as good at them! Haha. I had your attitude about classes that semester. Didn't study. Came it hungover and unprepared. Didn't do any of the homework. Slept in class.

After that I had to buckle down and grow up. Dropped out of the fraternity, cut back on women and alcohol. And now I'm an RN (BSN) and I wish I would have studied more in nursing school. Don't study for the test. Study for your patients and your career.

Good luck OP

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Is it bad that I'd only go to nursing school to fuck the crazy nurses?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're too busy for that in school.... You have to wait til they graduate! Then if they're single, they are all horny alcoholics. If I wasn't married, the hospital would be like a real world Match.com.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get yourself a team membership, then read my nurse/gonorrhea/chlamydia thread.

It might not change your mind but it'll make you think.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
They're too busy for that in school.... You have to wait til they graduate! Then if they're single, they are all horny alcoholics. If I wasn't married, the hospital would be like a real world Match.com.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth....  Did I mention my wife's in nursing school?

FML.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Right there with you OP.  My last test of the semester is Thursday.

I have an 89.9 overall and they don't round up at all.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Michigan.  Most places here want you to have a BSN, some will hire an ADN if you sign a contract stating you agree to go back and get your BSN within a certain time frame.
View Quote

Which ADN in Michigan? I'm graduating from Mott in December from nursing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It is also the amount of coursework crammed into a BSN (as well as other allied health professional bachelors). Once in-program you are taking the equivalent to 23-26 credits a semester. I had 7 finals in one week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ADN program I am in is crammed full, hell my life is crammed full.  I have 27 contact hours for classes and clinicals (Mon - Thur), plus I work 36 hours a week (3 - 12hr shifts Fri, Sat & Sun).  It is a 1 hour commute to school and work, one way (both are right by each other) so that's an additional 14 hours of drive time a week.  I have 3 kids and my wife works days (normal 5 8hr shifts = 40 hrs).

That and I'm the one who has to get the kids ready for school/daycare in the mornings.  Some days my wife picks them up (when I'm still in class) and some days I do (when I get out before her).  So then some time in the night I have to have family time, dinner, study and sleep.  

I'm not the first person to be busy and go back to school and I won't be the last person.  If "they" can do it, so can I.

I will post my test grade when I get it back next Monday (10-28-13)
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
What school?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
_deleted_

Decided to answer the question via IM instead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

YOU would be dead wrong.  Have a BSN hanging on the wall, and I'm currently a charge RN in an intensive care unit.  Passed exit exam on first attempt, and took me just over an hour to finish the NCLEX (once again, passed on the first attempt).   What was it again you were saying with such authority??

low rent school or just an easy major?
View Quote

See above.  I attended four different colleges, and maintained a 2.8-3.0 in all course work.  I went to two smaller state schools, University of Georgia, and Mercer University...and never had to apply twice to any program (even RN school).   The entire time I was in nursing school, and the last year or so at UGA, I also worked full time.  

View Quote

Sounds a lot like the program I attended.  75-82 was a "C", 83-91 was a "B", and 92-100 was an "A".  Anything less than 74.9 failed you out of the course.  I ended up with two 82s and a 91 in nursing school, which meant two C's and a B.  Med calculation exams required a score of 90 or better to pass, 89 and below resulted in a failure.  

I didn't think nursing school was academically challenging. Time consuming and jumping through all the moving hoops... that was a pain.  
View Quote

Your experience sounds identical to mine.  I'm not going to say the coursework was easy, it certainly wasn't...but I've always been a very good test taker.  That, and I always had an easy time understanding the fundamental concepts being pushed.  Now, I was never the star student, but I did exactly what I needed to pass.  

View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#44]
You'd be surprised how many say they have a job lined up.  Considering the number of people I see in coffee shops studying nursing, as well as those I talk to who say they're going to nursing school, I predict 50% of the population will be RNs in 10 years.  It's gotten out of hand.  I don't want to disparage those who want to better themselves but some people truly believe that the job market for nurses is wide open - it is not.  

This from a working RN.

No offense to the OP.  I hope you succeed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how many say they have a job lined up.  Considering the number of people I see in coffee shops studying nursing, as well as those I talk to who say they're going to nursing school, I predict 50% of the population will be RNs in 10 years.  It's gotten out of hand.  I don't want to disparage those who want to better themselves but some people truly believe that the job market for nurses is wide open - it is not.  

This from a working RN.

No offense to the OP.  I hope you succeed.
View Quote

QFT. A lot of places are cutting the "expensive" RN, and since you are only in Fundamentals, you have a while before you graduate. We all hope it gets better, but Obama (FBHO) has a few years left. Even as a FNP, I found as a new grad the market wasn't perfect, though it was far superior to the RN market.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a skills practical in about 2 hours in my PTA program.  I fucking hate these things.  I have quite a few stories from past graduates about their classmates who were experts, excelling in the program, but do to the pressure of being under the spotlight of a practical, and making a minor mistake, got removed from the program.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  

Sounds a lot like the program I attended.  75-82 was a "C", 83-91 was a "B", and 92-100 was an "A".  Anything less than 74.9 failed you out of the course.  I ended up with two 82s and a 91 in nursing school, which meant two C's and a B.  Med calculation exams required a score of 90 or better to pass, 89 and below resulted in a failure.  

Your experience sounds identical to mine.  I'm not going to say the coursework was easy, it certainly wasn't...but I've always been a very good test taker.  That, and I always had an easy time understanding the fundamental concepts being pushed.  Now, I was never the star student, but I did exactly what I needed to pass.  

Good luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:  

Good luck!

The program I attend requires a minimum of 80% (C) (regular/non-nursing classes an 80% is a B) in all classes to proceed to the next semester.  If you fail one class, you have to re-apply and wait for the next rotation (a full year).  If you fail again, you are done, no reapplying.

I am by no means a star student, I usually get between 80% and 95% on my tests (usually closer to the 80% mark).  Because of my expierence, I have strong skills when it comes to the practical labs.  There is a lot of work they make you do, but it is easy to understand if you pay attention in class.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I rarely studied and almost never opened a book in nursing school. It did help that I was a medic in the Army prior to nursing school, but most of it is common sense. Pharmacology was the only subject I really tried in.

Graduated with a 3.7 gpa, but remember C=RN.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I just received the score from my other tests last week

Assessment 16/20 = 80%  By the skin of my teeth.

Practical skills (written test) 22/25 = 88%  ehhhh....okay

Pharmacology 22/25 = 88%  I guess.

Still waiting until Monday for the Principles test score (the one I was taking when I originated this thread).

I slacked last week with my studying and it showed in my scores, I am doing much better this week.  
My next test is Thursday, 10-31-13 in Nursing Process (nursing diagnosis and care maps).  It is the one and only test I have in this class and its worth 30pts (which gets added to my final grade for Principles).

Then the next 5 weeks (minus Thanksgiving break) I have 3 tests per week, every other week.  Then finals week, which I have 4 written finals and 2 practical skills finals. That will end my 16 week semester and if I pass all my classes, I get to register for the next semester, take a 3 week breather and then do it all over again with OB, Med-Surg and so on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I just received the score from my other tests last week

Assessment 16/20 = 80%  By the skin of my teeth.

Practical skills (written test) 22/25 = 88%  ehhhh....okay

Pharmacology 22/25 = 88%  I guess.

Still waiting until Monday for the Principles test score (the one I was taking when I originated this thread).

I slacked last week with my studying and it showed in my scores, I am doing much better this week.  

My next test is Thursday, 10-31-13 in Nursing Process (nursing diagnosis and care maps).  It is the one and only test I have in this class and its worth 30pts (which gets added to my final grade for Principles).

Then the next 5 weeks (minus Thanksgiving break) I have 3 tests per week, every other week.  Then finals week, which I have 4 written finals and 2 practical skills finals. That will end my 16 week semester and if I pass all my classes, I get to register for the next semester, take a 3 week breather and then do it all over again with OB, Med-Surg and so on.
View Quote
This part is hard, and for the next month your life needs to be focused on that sheepskin.  

It is well worth it!

My wife makes significantly more than I do now.  She was a housewife who decided she wanted to be a nurse.  Now she is, and my 16 year career is behind her in pay.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top