Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2013 5:34:05 AM EDT
I thought I would share some of these photos again, I posted these years ago but I had them in Photobucket and arfcom eats photobucket bandwidth like candy.  

Anyways these are photos taken by the father of a family friend.    He was there when dachau was liberated and he took photos throughout the war, his daughter told me he was in some sort of recon, and by the literal stacks and stacks of negatives I have of his, I believe her.    I still have not had the time to go through and preserve all of his negatives and prints, I may donate them to a museum one day for better keeping.  

Anyways I doubt many people have ever seen these photos, they are just a slice of what I scanned years ago, most of not all of these are after the war.    But he has photos of combat and nazi officials that committed suicide in their office with their family and dachau.    They are horrible photos, and sadly he took his own life years after the war, the things he saw tore him up inside.  

here he is

there was a funny note with this photo, I don't have it in front of me but it was in regards to the Air Force coming through and finally giving them "air conditioning"

I always found this photo striking

I wish there was a way to find this kid today

more added

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool
View Quote

None of which viewable on government computers....

Whatever site they were hosted on must have been deemed to be too interesting.

Tagged for home.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tagged for home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool

Tagged for home.

hosted on imageshack.    I can maybe switch them over to arfcom
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
MOAR!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazing, thank you for taking the time to share those with us!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was pretty cool where they decided to park their planes
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#9]
More please!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Very cool, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Great stuff!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more if you get the chance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Did they use the road as a runway?

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Those are great photos.  Thank you for sharing them!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was wondering how they managed to get a B17 under the Eiffel Tower!

Or how they got it out.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
great pics, I would love to see many more.  These images will be lost to history without people dedicated to making them available.  Thank you
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
great pics, I would love to see many more.  These images will be lost to history without people dedicated to making them available.  Thank you
View Quote

I have hundreds of his negatives, I just wish I had more time to go through them all.     I might just have to take day and scan them all in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/2811/a57m.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for posting those pics, those were neat to see.  Especially the B-17 under the Eiffel Tower.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but it doesn't look like it has a chin turret.  Might be an F model.

As for the kid, what pictures were taken around that picture?  Any that might help identify the area where the picture was taken?  A more approximate date?
Time to place a call for some of our German Arfcommers, and enlist their help.  If you could find out where it was taken, I'd lay odds that he could be found, or find out who he was.

Here's a list of media sites in Germany.  Some have English website versions, others don't. Kidon Media Links  If you could find out where the picture was taken, a nearby media outlet could probably be located, and the story and pic sent along to them.  If they post/print it, you might get lucky and have somebody recognize him.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The kid looks a little like Dondi.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting those pics, those were neat to see.  Especially the B-17 under the Eiffel Tower.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but it doesn't look like it has a chin turret.  Might be an F model.

As for the kid, what pictures were taken around that picture?  Any that might help identify the area where the picture was taken?  A more approximate date?
Time to place a call for some of our German Arfcommers, and enlist their help.  If you could find out where it was taken, I'd lay odds that he could be found, or find out who he was.

Here's a list of media sites in Germany.  Some have English website versions, others don't. Kidon Media Links  If you could find out where the picture was taken, a nearby media outlet could probably be located, and the story and pic sent along to them.  If they post/print it, you might get lucky and have somebody recognize him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/2811/a57m.jpg

I think that photo was taken in france, its hard to pin point a year and place with these negatives, most were in a box scattered and loose.    A lot are badly damaged too from water and time.  

when I go home tonight I'll see what else I can dig up
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very cool, thanks for posting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I cropped this one so you guys can see the plane better, granted its not the best quality.

if you open it in another window you can enlarge it a bit
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have hundreds of his negatives, I just wish I had more time to go through them all.     I might just have to take day and scan them all in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll be totally worth it if you do.  

I'm sorry for the tragic end of the photographer, but the lesson that war is hell should be told as a constant reminder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Holy Cow! I had no idea they had rednecks in France. Look at the sign for Nice its shot to shit!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/2524/tb7e.jpg

Holy Cow! I had no idea they had rednecks in France. Look at the sign for Nice its shot to shit!
View Quote

Very same thing I thought!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

was probably our guys
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Some of the pictures look damned professional.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#32]
It's nice to see photos taken during that era by a guy who knew what he was doing with a camera.  Most times the snapshots Ive seen are often hard to see whats in the pic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's nice to see photos taken during that era by a guy who knew what he was doing with a camera.  Most times the snapshots Ive seen are often hard to see whats in the pic.
View Quote

there are a lot of good quality photos, but sadly most are very damaged by poor storage.    If I had the time I could rebuild a lot of them in photoshop and at lest restore them digitally (I'm a photographer)
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Great pics.  I hope you find time to post some more of them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#35]
My grandmothers brother's B-29 crew that was kamakazied over Kobe, Japan on March 17, 1945.

Two crew members parachuted out, but had their heads lopped off by the Japanese sword.  

He's in the middle of the back row.  Lt. Robert Copeland, co-pilot, Lewiston, Idaho.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Funny how that NICE sign is shot to hell and gone.

Looks like it was in the south on a dirt road for a few years.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#37]
The fourth photo is Hitler's mountain home, the Berghof.  For whatever reason, the US Air Force decided to bomb the shit out of the Berghof and surrounding complex in the last few days of the war.  The only major personality that was there was Goering and since everyone hid out in the massive tunnel complex under the area, I don't think there were even any casualties.  It was war so it was inevitable to be bombed, but it would have been an awesome site to preserve for after the war.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My grandmothers brother's B-29 crew that was kamakazied over Kobe, Japan on March 17, 1945.

Two crew members parachuted out, but had their heads lopped off by the Japanese sword.  

He's in the middle of the back row.  Lt. Robert Copeland, co-pilot, Lewiston, Idaho.  

http://<a href=http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx266/bonesarelli/image_zpse17ff526.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#39]
cool
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I cropped this one so you guys can see the plane better, granted its not the best quality.

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/6922/syll.jpg

View Quote

at first I thought it was a B-17, but it was sitting too high

now that I get a closer look, it is a B-17, so it must be sitting on an elevated surface or something..
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

More please!
View Quote
Yes, I need another fix.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm subscribed for more. Thank you so much for sharing. I also have some original WWII photos taken by a man in a medical unit, who duplicated the photos for GI's to buy and trade for. I can't remember the photographer's name, but I'll add it when it comes to me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

was probably our guys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

was probably our guys

Certainly.

NICE?  FUCKING NICE?  Ain't no NICE in this!  I COULD BE HOME DRINKING BEER AND BANGING CHICKS! blamblamblamblamblam
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#44]
They're all wonderful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if this guy was issued more than one bullet?

Also, my favorite WTF WWII pic.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Very, very cool. I would love to see more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#49]
more

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/6922/syll.jpg

View Quote

The B-17 in the background is in the markings of 96th Bomb Group, 8th AF. And they look to be B-17F's due to no chin turret. Also looks like a P-51 in there too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top