Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2002 9:03:15 AM EDT
I went to Wal-Mart Friday afternoon, to pick up a couple of boxes of 9mm for burning off Saturday at the range.  I ask for the ammo, and the guy says "is this for a handgun, or a long gun?"

I responded "yes"

He says "which one"

I respond "none of your business"

At this point, his "supervisor" shows up, and asks what the problem is.

The clerk says "He won't tell me what the ammo is for"

Supervisor: "Sir, are these bullets for a handgun or a long gun?"

Response "They work well in either."

Supervisor "sir I have to know"

Response "Why?"

Supervisor "Because, if it is for a handgun, I need to verify that you are over 21."

Now I'm stumped, because I am 33, bald, had two days growth on my face AND my 8 yr old son with me.  I can hardly pass for 28-30, let alone <21.

Response " I can assure you that I am over 21, would you like to see my Driver's license?"(which was already in hand because my wallet was out.)

Supervisor "Sir, I need to know what you intend to do with this ammo"

Response "no you don't, and short of me bringing in the weapon, how will you know for certain anyway?"

Supervisor " Sir, do you want the ammo or not?"

"No, I do not.  Come on Andy (my son), we'll go get some ammo at Dick's Sporting goods, we can stop by toys r us on the way!"

With that, I left.

I truly do not see that it was any of their business, so they will have no more of mine.
[:(!]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What a bunch of Dicks!

I'd of gone higher up the chain with my bitchin' and even after they caved, I'd have gone else where.

JM.02
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
THIS IS RADIO FREE AMERICA AND FOR ALL YOU GUYS BEHIND ENEMY LINE THIS IS YOUR SONG!

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
F*ck Walmart, f*ck em with a big ole stick!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't know about Ohio, but in NY it is illegal to buy handgun ammo without a pistol permit.  They are likely covering their asses.  I know local gun shops will ask shady looking characters, not implying you are shading looking in the least, to see their pistol permit or they produce the carbine.  Its a liability issue, especially with the number of gangs prolifirating in upstate, NY.
View Quote

No permits are needed in ohio for handguns, You just have to be 21 and pass NICS. On a Bright note, I read in the Dayton Business Journal, that K-mart is considering closing all 8 dayton area stores!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you blame Walmart?  They must be bitter.  Didn't they have to pay out $50 or $70 million dollars in that case of the guy who shot his wife after buying a gun at Wallie World?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
And so you felt compelled to give the poor sales clerk a hard time for just doing his job?

I am sure you made a great impression on them about gun owners and shooters.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Gun?? Wot gun???? I jus set em in tha steel pipe an wack em weeth mah hammer! BANG BANG BANG hoo boy! Som taimes we jus toss em ina big ol fiar! Boy oh boys! Check out these heer scar on me leg! BANG BANG BANG BANG hoo boy!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Supervisor "Sir, I need to know what you intend to do with this ammo"
View Quote

Response "It depends, how far is the closest school?"
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Was it .22 LR?? They have to check and you didn't say. GCA 68 requires them checking. They were just complying with the law.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can you blame Walmart?  They must be bitter.  Didn't they have to pay out $50 or $70 million dollars in that case of the guy who shot his wife after buying a gun at Wallie World?
View Quote

It's been quite some time (here at least) that you could buy a handgun at walmart.

either way I don't think it's their business what I do with their product once I purchase it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]
yet again another RIDICULES "law/Idea"  Like a Gang banger is going to tell the truth, well sir "it's for my S&W 9mm that I plan on shooting up the mall with"  ...This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.....what a JOKE!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And so you felt compelled to give the poor sales clerk a hard time for just doing his job?
View Quote

I gave him a hard time for being a dumbass. I gave the supervisor a hard time for enforcing such a policy that would invade our personal rights.
Besides, They were both dirty nasty legs anyway!![}:D]

Quoted:

View Quote

What impression is that? that we believe in our rights and freedoms? Or that we don't like being told what rights we are allowed to exercise?

When is the last time you heard someone say "Boy! Those gun people sure are nice about giving up their freedoms?"

I suppose you feel that we would be much more effective as a group if we just quietly sat down and let people take them away?

If nothing else, I hope that the clerk went home and thought about it and tried to come up with a  rational explanation for such a nonsensical policy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Was it .22 LR?? They have to check and you didn't say. GCA 68 requires them checking. They were just complying with the law.
View Quote

it was 9mm why? I'm not familiar with GCA 68.  I buy ammo from other places, and am never confronted with this.

Maybe I shoulda asked them if they had any of the birdman  sights for the side of my pistol!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, like they already have a good impression of us.  Just two politically correct morons.  Do they ask you what you are going to do with that set of kitchen knives you just bought?

Why should we care anymore what they think of us?  They have already shown their contempt of us by having dickhead policies and by the name calling by the supposed intellectuals.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#23]
"What kind of gun?  Guns?!  I HATE guns!  I just really like ammo.  Oh...and ummm....heh-heh...on a related note...where's the tampon department?"
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]
[b]What are you expecting? Professionalism? Think about it. How old was the guy? The usual guy in the sporting goods section at the local walmart here in Industry, CA is a lazy POS that doesn't know the first thing about guns.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I want to preface this with the statement that I do not like what Walmart does to the smaller retailers in the areas that they invade and so I don't shop them, but...Walmart does support shooting by stocking firearms and ammo.  There are plenty of stores that don't do that.  I'm sure the questions are their way of establishing plausible deniability with lawyers.  I agree, it's none of their business, but they probably don't like it any better than you do.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#27]
The only ammo I buy at Wal-Mart is .22.  When the clerk rings up the sale, the cash register displays text that says something like "HANDGUN?"  The clerk invariably asks if the ammo is for a hand gun.  I always reply, "No, this is .22 'long rifle' ammo.  It's for a rifle."  And the clerk always smiles and says, "Sorry.  I have to ask."  I walk away with a smile knowing that the majority of that box will be fired in a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I always answer "It is for a sub-machine gun!!!"
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I never heard about it?  You got a link or anything?  Why was it Wally worlds fault?  no background check or something?
View Quote

It was $16 million.  Wal-Mart sold the guy the gun even though he admitted on the yellow form that he was "subject to a court order restraining [him] from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner."

You can read all about it on Sarah Brady's site:

http://www.gunlawsuits.org/docket/casestatus.asp?RecordNo=52

Just make sure you shower afterward.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Like I said in a similar post, I buy a few boxes of 223 everytime I go to Walmart...

..It's for the (my future) children!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up a few of the 100 rnd white boxs today.  The lady didn't even ask, just hit the button.  I said, hey aren't you going to ask me and she said "That dumb questions always comes up for every box."   I would have said "YES" to the question, meaning it could work in a pistol or rifle.  Uzi actually.

Anyway, next time say something and then ask where the ski masks are located.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[b]What are you expecting? Professionalism? Think about it. How old was the guy? The usual guy in the sporting goods section at the local walmart here in Industry, CA is a lazy POS that doesn't know the first thing about guns.[/b]
View Quote

actually, the cashier was probably 24-25ish, the supervisor was 40 or so.

I'm old school, in that any job you do, if you're getting paid to do it, should be done professionally.  

I'm sure Wal-mart will not even notice my absence, but I will not shop there anymore. I will write them a letter though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Anyway, next time say something and then ask where the ski masks are located.

View Quote

Alternatively... "Can you tell me which aisle the anti-depressants are in"?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Say NO, not for handgun, and the transaction continues.

Say YES, they just ask for a license, check you r age on it, and continue- they write down nothing and have no record of who you were.

You probably just ran into some anti-gunners that day.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#36]
At our Wallly world, you have to go to Customer service to get the ammo for handguns.  It's silly!  You have to ask for it at sporting goods and buy it at CS???!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#37]
First, let me say that I just decided to run down to WallyWorld Mart and buy some more ammo.

Second, I always make it a point to politely give the teller some shit.  Look closely at the teller, with that dorky blue vest and name tag just waiting to have some other name stamped on it.  Does this person strike you as the one responsible for making store policy?

When at Radio Shack or anywhere else and they ask your phone and adress, tell them 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. , 555-1234.  If they press harder, then give them shit and make 'em smell it too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Wally World has, quite simply, gone straight to Hell in a bucket with a lid on it since Sam Walton left us...

Besides, GCA '68 DOES make it illegal to sell pistol ammo (or ammo to be used in a pistol) to an individual under 21 - but it's illegal to sell booze to someone under 21, and I haven't been carded since I was 14.  Hell, I don't even get asked ANYWHERE how old I am when I buy ammo - but the permanent 1700 shadow and the smell of spent powder that lingers over me all the time probably helps...  

Airborne did the right thing.  Not only is he OBVIOUSLY 'over 21' in appearance, but it is our sacred duty to harass any 'leg' that presents himself as a target!

FFZ
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I purchased some .22 LRH at Walmart recently.  They asked me the pistol or rifle question.  Does it really matter what you say?  I told them it would fit either and I had both.  They asked which and I said I guessed I would use this 550 round pack in my pistol.  That was it.  Could they refuse to sell it?

Turbo5 [50]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe that provision was amended/deleted with the FOPA of 86'.

In most states ammo sales can be made by any retailer cash & carry, no questions ask. (no FFL required.)
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't know what you people are complaining about, my local WalMart does not even sell guns or ammo! They just sell shotgun ammo and BB Gun ammo.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up 2 100rnd 9mm value packs and 2 40rnd .223 value packs yesterday morning.
I saw the question pop up on the clerk's screen, he never asked. I just paid and walked out.

I agree tho, it is a stupid question to ask.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I tell them it's for a machine gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't know about Ohio, but in NY it is illegal to buy handgun ammo without a pistol permit.  They are likely covering their asses.  I know local gun shops will ask shady looking characters, not implying you are shading looking in the least, to see their pistol permit or they produce the carbine.  Its a liability issue, especially with the number of gangs prolifirating in upstate, NY.
View Quote

WTF?

i have personally purchased 9MM ammo on several occasions, with nary a second glance..

as far as gangs go i sure as hell havn't encountered any, unless yore one of those guys that thinks Albany is UPSTATE.

i live in upstate NY, and let me tell you Albany aint it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#45]
About one out of three times I got the question, the rest of the time they didn't even ask.  When they did ask, I'd politely ask them "Why do you want to know?"  I didn't get an answer, but I did get my ammo.  This was when I was buying 1000 rds of .22 every two weeks or so after 911.  I have enough for a lifetime now, so I don't even have to go over there.  The rest of my larger cal ammo I get by mailorder.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#46]
This problem does not just happen at WalMart, or with Ammo....

I have been to Super Target many times, and I bitch them out and will not show them ID at all when they ask for it. Their computers are messed up.

1. We are in a dry county, so they cannot sell alcohol.

2. Even if they could sell alcohol, they still cannot card me for this...

3. I bought Whiskey Sour mix. The store code indicates its designated for the liquor isle, but they don't sell liquor, nor does it contain liquor.

4. The computer flags it and they want to swipe my ID (magnetic strip) to verify I am 21!

5. I tell them where they can go and give them hell!

They finally fixed it last time I was there...

Oh, and when I am at WallyWorld-- I just tell them its not for a pistol or rifle. If they get persistent, I will tell them its for my submachine gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This problem does not just happen at WalMart, or with Ammo....

3. I bought Whiskey Sour mix. The store code indicates its designated for the liquor isle, but they don't sell liquor, nor does it contain liquor.

4. The computer flags it and they want to swipe my ID (magnetic strip) to verify I am 21
View Quote

I've had the same thing happen when buying lighter fluid.  Comes up as a tobacco product & they ask for ID.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#48]
TheRicker had it right.  He offered to show him his ID, thus the answer to the question is moot.

IMHO, the "supervisor" was being a prick, as he could have just looked at the guy's ID and chose whatever answer he felt like.  The fact that he insisted the question be answered is asenine.

Personally, they always just press no when the question pops up and never ask for my ID.  I chose to give Wal-Mart my money but can completely understand those who don't.  I absolutely refuse to even set foot on the property of a K-mart, however.  Even if I just need a place to turn around, I'll bypass their parking lot and keep looking.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#49]
One time I bought a can of spray paint, and they asked if I was 18.  Keeps little taggers from marking things up, I guess.

Back to the ammo thing, I laugh at "either/ or" cartridge policies.  You have to wait three years to buy the same ammo for a handgun that you can buy for a rifle at age 18!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I just love how you seem to expect small-time service from a major corporation. If you really want knowledgable service, you go to a quality gun store, not Wal-Mart, where the average associate is someone working for minimum waiting for a better job, and honestly doesn't really give a sh*t...

Do you also bitch when the clerk at McDonalds doesn't give you any napkins? (i hate that) No, because you have come to expect poor service from them. Doesn't make it right, but expect it in this day and age.

I've worked in the distribution management side of Wal-Mart for 11 years, and sure as hell won't say they have a pro gun attitude, but bottom line is they pump millions of dollars in firearms/ammo sales annually...which is probably some of the best advestisement we can give politicians who can only relate to the mighty $$$.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top