Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I always cross my eyes, start talking to myself, and tell them that I am going to use it for slingshot ammo.  

They usually like that.  Of course in rural PA they already know not to ask too many questions.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy the 1000 round bricks of .22 LR at Walmart all the time... 9mm and 45acp as well. Nobody ever asked me anything.

...except, cash or charge? Cash naturally.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a box of .45acp at galyans once and they didn't ask. i asked if they needed to see my permit and they said no because there are carbines that shoot .45acp
maybe they trusted me because I asked if they needed to see it?

Quoted:
Don't know about Ohio, but in NY it is illegal to buy handgun ammo without a pistol permit.  They are likely covering their asses.  I know local gun shops will ask shady looking characters, not implying you are shading looking in the least, to see their pistol permit or they produce the carbine.  Its a liability issue, especially with the number of gangs prolifirating in upstate, NY.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
This is just stupid.  How many of you bitch out Eric at ammoman.com or Coles Distributing for their policies of getting a copy of you DL on file before they sell it to you?  So why do you bitch out the stupid Walmart clerk for doing the same thing?  When you get carded to get into a bar do you go screaming about your privacy rights?  These are controlled substances and it's only prudent for companies to cover their asses.
I swear to God some people just like to bitch about every STUPID little thing!  So he carded you BIG FUCKING DEAL!  Build a bridge and get over it!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't know about Ohio, but in NY it is illegal to buy handgun ammo without a pistol permit.  They are likely covering their asses.  I know local gun shops will ask shady looking characters, not implying you are shading looking in the least, to see their pistol permit or they produce the carbine.  Its a liability issue, especially with the number of gangs prolifirating in upstate, NY.
View Quote
View Quote

I think Hiram is mistaken on this one.  I've never seen any law that prohibits the sale of pistol ammunition to license holders.  I've purchased 9mm and 45acp ammo in several regions of the state and know first hand at my old gun store that the license was not required.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I seldom go to Wallyworld but I would've told the guy to FCK off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not law that you must possess a ccw in NY for pistol ammo. This is Wmart store policy.

My wife buys ammo for me at times.

Canooger- I'd like a box of that Blazer .45 sir

Clerk- is that for a rifle or pistol ?

Canooger- rifle

Clerk- Ya right

Canooger- Yes sir, I use it in my Thompson.

Other shopper- GASP!

Canooger takes ammo to range and wishes he had a Thompson.

I like guns.

I don't like to lie- Sometimes I just need the practice. (Christians are not perfect just forgiven)
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Try this:the Wal-Mart workers here have a knack for not being able to tell the different .300 ammos apart,.300 Win.Mag etc.Been some Win.Mags put into Weatherby chambers because of this.Course the owner should have caught that.
Also one fellow where I work told me they refused to sell him broadheads for hunting arrows because he didn't have a hunting license!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago I worked at Wal Mart changing Oil/Tires.Part of my job was to come inside and cover the register while the cashier took his/her break or lunch.The only question that is prompted on Ammo purchases in Rifle/Handgun.Thats the end of story.If you say pistol you are prompted to ask for ID.I never asked but some do.Now knowing this I just smile and show ID or say its for a rifle.Not long ago I went thru Tire Lube Express to get some .22 shells from Sporting goods and when ringing up my sale the cashier at the TLE counter asked what I was gonna do with them.I asked her to repeat the question because I didnt understand the question.Not are they for a Handgun or Rifle as the screen asked her to but what are you gonna do with em..This was a  cashier that I didnt know.I looked over her shoulder into the managers office.Yep Dave was there.Dave was the Manager that hired me.He was also the one that turned me onto ARs.When he heard my voice he looked up and smiled.Raised his brows and kinda shruged his shoulders.You know as to say have fun she has no idea who you are.The next thing I did was to kinda go blank in the eyes and start explaining how my wife had left me to move in with my best friend.I also explained how she didnt want the kids so but didnt want me to have them either so she dumped them off on her drug addited parents without even giving me a chance to see them.She then filed an Exparte Order on me and if this wasnt enough I had lost just lost my job so I couldnt afford to get my Prozak filled.Since I hadnt been on my Meds there wasnt any way I was gonna go see the Doc because he would just commit me again and I wasnt going back to stay at that Hospital again.I keep saying I really need to just see my wife.The whole time this is going on the cashiers eyes are just getting bigger and bigger.Dave has got up out of his chair and has a grin from ear to ear.He keeps going into the security room to keep from laughing where she could hear him.The last thing I say to her is you dont need to see my ID do you?I would just as soon pay with cash also so they dont know I was here.She now has the Deer in the headlights look and is trying to deceide what to do when Dave cant take it anymore.He busts out laughing and comes to the counter.I hand her my ID and pay for my ammo.I talked to Dave for awhile and headed for the range.Dave talked to her after I left and explainded to her how ammo sales needed to be handled.I usually dont mess with the cashiers unless they get real stupid with me.They are just doing there job and usually hate it as much as we hate our jobs but Somtimes they go further than they need to and when they do so do I.Kinda cool to see her now though.I usually go to her when Im checking out.Now when I get ammo she just smiles and checks me out.She even asks if Ive seen my X lately.LOL
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
The joys of China-Mart...
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Kid in a local hardware store is working the gun counter and doing the Hollywood flip with a very nice revolver. Another customer and I try to explain why he shouldn't, e.g., the "clockwork", crane, etc. He looks at us like we are spoofing him and keeps doing it. Flip the cylinder open, and flip it closed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was it .22 LR?? They have to check and you didn't say. GCA 68 requires them checking. They were just complying with the law.
View Quote

They have to assure he is over 18 for rifle/shotgun ammo, and over 21 for handgun ammo. If he produced picture ID with his (OVER 21!) DOB on it, they should have sold him the ammo. Sounds like a training problem. The store personnel are not aware of why they have to ask the question. He should have talked to the store manager, and told the store manager to find out the reason for the question. Wal*Mart is [b]NOT[/b] making a database about who has a handgun. They are (when properly followed) utilizing a procedure to comply with GCA'68.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yet again another RIDICULES "law/Idea"  Like a Gang banger is going to tell the truth, well sir "it's for my S&W 9mm that I plan on shooting up the mall with"  ...This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.....what a JOKE!
View Quote

See my post above. If it for a handgun, they will (if needed) confirm you are over 21. IF it is for a rifle, they will (if needed) confirm you are over 18. This is a Federal law. This particular store just needs to be educated on the reason for the question. Once he produced proof he was over 21, they had [b]NO[/b] legitimate need to know what the ammo is for.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The question is moot if you're over 21.

They don't need to know if you're old enough.
View Quote

Under [b]FEDERAL LAW  (GCA'68)[/b] yes they do.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it .22 LR?? They have to check and you didn't say. GCA 68 requires them checking. They were just complying with the law.
View Quote

it was 9mm why? I'm not familiar with GCA 68.  I buy ammo from other places, and am never confronted with this.

Maybe I shoulda asked them if they had any of the birdman  sights for the side of my pistol!!
View Quote

The registers at Wal*Mart have pop up questions for "controlled" items. You have to be 18 to buy rifle/shotgun ammo under GCA'68. You have to be 18 to buy tobacco products, as well. You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo under GCA'68. You also have to be 21 to buy alcohol products. The register prompts the cashier to ID people who need to be carded. Most stores don't even ask on ammo if you are obviously old enough. The main problem at your store seems to be a training problem. They did not know the reason for the register prompt. Once you produced ID, they should have simply pushed "YES" on their register and sold you the ammo.....

Which store exactly was it? A store number helps, if you have it. But the location/address is enough. I [b]WILL[/b] follow up with Corporate, if you don't want to do it yourself.....

Scott
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have already shown their contempt of us by having dickhead policies and by the name calling by the supposed intellectuals.
View Quote

The dickhead plicy is [b]FEDERAL LAW!!!!![/b]

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I purchased some .22 LRH at Walmart recently.  They asked me the pistol or rifle question.  Does it really matter what you say?  I told them it would fit either and I had both.  They asked which and I said I guessed I would use this 550 round pack in my pistol.  That was it.  Could they refuse to sell it?

Turbo5 [50]
View Quote

Legally, they would have to refuse to sell it to someone under the legal age as established by Federal law. Other than that, they wouldn't.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I buy the 1000 round bricks of .22 LR at Walmart all the time... 9mm and 45acp as well. Nobody ever asked me anything.

...except, cash or charge? Cash naturally.
View Quote

What kind are the 1000 round bricks? And how much? Biggest  I  usually find are the 550 rounders from like IIRC Federal.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is just stupid.  How many of you bitch out Eric at ammoman.com or Coles Distributing for their policies of getting a copy of you DL on file before they sell it to you?  So why do you bitch out the stupid Walmart clerk for doing the same thing?  When you get carded to get into a bar do you go screaming about your privacy rights?  These are controlled substances and it's only prudent for companies to cover their asses.
I swear to God some people just like to bitch about every STUPID little thing!  So he carded you BIG FUCKING DEAL!  Build a bridge and get over it!
View Quote

Excellent point. Glad someone realizes what the question is for. (However, I continue to believe that the staff at that store need further training about the reason for the question.....)

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Years ago I worked at Wal Mart changing Oil/Tires.Part of my job was to come inside and cover the register while the cashier took his/her break or lunch.The only question that is prompted on Ammo purchases in Rifle/Handgun.Thats the end of story.If you say pistol you are prompted to ask for ID.I never asked but some do.Now knowing this I just smile and show ID or say its for a rifle.Not long ago I went thru Tire Lube Express to get some .22 shells from Sporting goods and when ringing up my sale the cashier at the TLE counter asked what I was gonna do with them.I asked her to repeat the question because I didnt understand the question.Not are they for a Handgun or Rifle as the screen asked her to but what are you gonna do with em..This was a  cashier that I didnt know.I looked over her shoulder into the managers office.Yep Dave was there.Dave was the Manager that hired me.He was also the one that turned me onto ARs.When he heard my voice he looked up and smiled.Raised his brows and kinda shruged his shoulders.You know as to say have fun she has no idea who you are.The next thing I did was to kinda go blank in the eyes and start explaining how my wife had left me to move in with my best friend.I also explained how she didnt want the kids so but didnt want me to have them either so she dumped them off on her drug addited parents without even giving me a chance to see them.She then filed an Exparte Order on me and if this wasnt enough I had lost just lost my job so I couldnt afford to get my Prozak filled.Since I hadnt been on my Meds there wasnt any way I was gonna go see the Doc because he would just commit me again and I wasnt going back to stay at that Hospital again.I keep saying I really need to just see my wife.The whole time this is going on the cashiers eyes are just getting bigger and bigger.Dave has got up out of his chair and has a grin from ear to ear.He keeps going into the security room to keep from laughing where she could hear him.The last thing I say to her is you dont need to see my ID do you?I would just as soon pay with cash also so they dont know I was here.She now has the Deer in the headlights look and is trying to deceide what to do when Dave cant take it anymore.He busts out laughing and comes to the counter.I hand her my ID and pay for my ammo.I talked to Dave for awhile and headed for the range.Dave talked to her after I left and explainded to her how ammo sales needed to be handled.I usually dont mess with the cashiers unless they get real stupid with me.They are just doing there job and usually hate it as much as we hate our jobs but Somtimes they go further than they need to and when they do so do I.Kinda cool to see her now though.I usually go to her when Im checking out.Now when I get ammo she just smiles and checks me out.She even asks if Ive seen my X lately.LOL
View Quote

Now that is funny!!!!!

Scott

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, don't you guys have anything better to do than hassle a minimum wage clerk?

All they are doing is mindlessly following the instructions on the cash register - just like when it reads BEER from the UPC code and prompts "OVER 21?". (I thought that analogy might help for some of you)

Friday night I bought 5 boxes of their $10.97 100 count Winchester 9mm.  At each box I was asked - pistol or rifle?  I just said "rifle" and away I went.  No supervisor, no hassles.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. There is no conspiracy here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't bitch at Eric or any other ammo Distributer for this, but I also don't buy from them, because they require ID. Because I'm NOT 21yrs old yet.. And in order to order ammo online even if for a RIFLE you have to be 21, which is so pathetic I can hardly stand it. lol

As for Wal Mart.. I"ve been buying ammo there since I was 17.. I've never shot anyone with it, like all the stupid morons would like to think I *would* that's why the made these laws.. Right now I can legally own a pistol (Vermont Constitution says so) but I can't buy ammo for it? f#ck that!  

Enough complaining from me [soapbox].. but not being 21 yet this sort of thing IS a BIG deal.. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't bitch at Eric or any other ammo Distributer for this, but I also don't buy from them, because they require ID. Because I'm NOT 21yrs old yet.. And in order to order ammo online even if for a RIFLE you have to be 21, which is so pathetic I can hardly stand it. lol

As for Wal Mart.. I"ve been buying ammo there since I was 17.. I've never shot anyone with it, like all the stupid morons would like to think I *would* that's why the made these laws.. Right now I can legally own a pistol (Vermont Constitution says so) but I can't buy ammo for it? f#ck that!  

Enough complaining from me [soapbox].. but not being 21 yet this sort of thing IS a BIG deal.. [:)]
View Quote

Eric doesn't require your license, he sends it Adult Signature Required if you don't send him one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I got it! maybe if we keep complaining and acting like fucking idiots, Wal-crap will stop selling guns and ammo altogether!!!!  Then we can pay more everywhere else we go.  I don't agree with policy- but just buy yer cheap ammo and get the hell out of there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

it was 9mm why? I'm not familiar with GCA 68.  I buy ammo from other places, and am never confronted with this.

Maybe I shoulda asked them if they had any of the birdman  sights for the side of my pistol!!
View Quote

The registers at Wal*Mart have pop up questions for "controlled" items. You have to be 18 to buy rifle/shotgun ammo under GCA'68. You have to be 18 to buy tobacco products, as well. You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo under GCA'68. You also have to be 21 to buy alcohol products. The register prompts the cashier to ID people who need to be carded. Most stores don't even ask on ammo if you are obviously old enough. The main problem at your store seems to be a training problem. They did not know the reason for the register prompt. Once you produced ID, they should have simply pushed "YES" on their register and sold you the ammo.....

Which store exactly was it? A store number helps, if you have it. But the location/address is enough. I [b]WILL[/b] follow up with Corporate, if you don't want to do it yourself.....

Scott
View Quote

I could swing by tomorrow and see what the actual store # and address is, but for now I can say that it id on Wilmington pike, just south of I-675.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Man,
I had no idea this post would turn into a call to arms!

I may have been a little over-reactive on this kid, but I do feel that once I established my age, It didn't matter what I planned on shooting it out of. Prior to the supervisor's explanation, I truely did not know why they needed to know, afterwords, I gave them my age, which should have been enough.  

No, I do not yell at a bartender for asking for my ID. However, if same said bartender started asking what I intend to do with the drink, or dictated how I was to drink it, Hell yes, I'd tell him it was none of his business.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
FlGreg,
     Nope I usually dont have anything better to do.Sundays are allways set aside to go hassle Wally World zombies.LOL.Really the problem as I see it is its a simple prompt on the screen.Its either Yes/No and can I see your ID if need be.Anything that they they add other than Rifle/Pistol in the question just adds to the stupidity of the whole mess.A simple analogy for you.For me Pistol=I smile,Show my ID,Pay and leave the store.Rifle=Smile,Pay and leave the store.What ya want it for/What ya gonna do with it=Gonna have some fun,put on a show and make em wonder what they got there self into.You can bet one thing thou.They know what to ask next time.

Cleatus,
      Piss on em!Let um stop selling ammo and guns!Wont slow down my shootin one bit.I havent bought a gun from them since I quit working there years ago.Ammo is just a somtimes deal for me there anyway.I allways buy my guns from my local dealer anyway.Keeps him and me happy that way.I pay more from my Local Dealer somtimes.Somtimes I get them cheaper from him.Either way when your bitchen that there isnt anybody around but WallyMart to buy guns from I dont want to hear it.Now if they stop selling guns/ammo youll never hear a word from me because it wont affect me a bit.Id rather spend alittle more thru a dealer than help build another damn WallyMart
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

I think Hiram is mistaken on this one.  I've never seen any law that prohibits the sale of pistol ammunition to license holders.  I've purchased 9mm and 45acp ammo in several regions of the state and know first hand at my old gun store that the license was not required.
View Quote

AFAIK there is no current provision under NYS law concerning pistol/rifle ammo.  AFAIK there was a regulation many years ago but it was repealed.  

NYC does have ammo regulations and perhaps those nitwits in the cities of Albany and Rochester might have some local law to that effect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top