Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 4:49:06 AM EDT
source:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-atheists-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

*If* the quote was correct, he's talking about a LOT less than a mustard seed....
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
source:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-atheists-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

*If* the quote was correct, he's talking about a LOT less than a mustard seed....
View Quote

Dupe, but he's just quoting long standing Catholic doctrine.

We believe our way is the absolute best way to get to heaven. God can also have other ways of His own choosing what with being God and all, and He doesn't necessarily need to share them with us unless he feels like it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the quote for those interested.

“You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
As I told a co-worker the other day, it's OK if you don't believe in God and Jesus, they still believe in you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I already had this up on my other window so I might as well post it:

John 3:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)
16 “For God so loved the world, [a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

Billions of bibles in the world, I don't know why anyone wouldn't just go to the source.  What is funny is at the Council of Trent they declared anathema (curse) on anyone who believes they are saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus.   But over the past century they've been getting all wishy washy.  Fortunately for them only they are allowed to interpret their own doctrines, so if it looks like a contradiction that they declared there is no salvation outside of their Holy Roman Apostolic Orthodox Catholic Church...but then say stuff like this, or that those who never heard the gospel may be saved, or that Protestants who are anathema are nowadays "separated breathren", don't worry, no contradiction, it would only be a contradiction if they saw it that way, and they don't and can't because they are the infallible church.  See how that works.

Now to back away before anyone calls me a hypocrite for believing the bible is God's infallible Word and contains no real contradictions! Haza!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top