Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2013 2:24:56 PM EDT
Just got back from 2.5 weeks in Italy.  My old man flew out to meet us there.

While in Bari, he decided to get some more Euro's, and went into a bank.  They said they wouldn't take USD's.  We went into the three largest chain banks in the city, and all the same response : NO.

My dad told me at one time, the Italians would fall over themselves for USD's.

Sign of the times?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
So then.

It has begun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh FUCK
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So then.

It has begun.

View Quote

Nay

'tis nearly finished
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Your fiat currency is more worthless than their fiat currency.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
hmmm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My dad told me at one time, the Italians would fall over themselves for USD's.
View Quote

Just a few years ago, yes. US Dollars were king.

If true, this is disturbing. Did the banks offer a reason for refusing the exchange?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never known banks to take walk-in currency there. However, I do know there are Italian government tourist kiosks that will do exchanges for spot value. Greece was the same way when I went.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Look what Fiat did to the Jeep!

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If the Russians and Chinese dump our bonds on the open market (pissed over Syria?) our currency will collapse within that hour.

I wouldn't hold excessive Federal Reserve Notes right now either.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
As fucked as the USD is, the euro is probably worse. Strange.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
It's got more to do with US banking regulations than the value of the currency. We're trying to make everyone in the world comply, and report, and the European banks are just opting out of doing business with US citizen customers. More than likely, if an Italian citizen showed up to do the exchange, they'd do it happily. A US citizen is starting to carry along a huge load of issues, for doing business, so the international community is refusing to do business with us.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If the Russians and Chinese dump our bonds on the open market (pissed over Syria?) our currency will collapse within that hour.

View Quote

No. Just... no.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
This may come as a surprise, but most foreign banks won't do currency exchanges.   Ran into this problem in both Germany and Belguim a LONG time ago.  You have to go to a designated central bank.

Same in the states. I cannot exchange Canadian dollars at my bank without calling ahead for example.

We now return you to the usual "Chicken Little"  SOP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#14]
transfer everything into bitcoins now!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nay

'tis nearly finished
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So then.

It has begun.

Nay

'tis nearly finished

Now this is not the beginning. It is not even the beginning of the beginning. But it is, perhaps, the beginning of the end.

We used to have a bust of a guy who said something like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet they'd take a transfer from a US account.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Italy is like a fancy Mexico... (I'm Italian BTW). Everyone is pretty much out to screw you over.. They have gotten so good at milking Americans that it is just part of everyday life. When exchange rates suck the banks and shops will tell you to fuck off and die with your USD. They do exchange currency, they just don't want to right now.. As and visitor WTF are you going to do.

My parents are in Palermo right now and say its gotten worse. Restaurants havering different menus for English vs Italian with different prices is bad.. My was born in Italy and is not all that happy with what it has become.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
do you look like a mobster?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No. Just... no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just... no.

Yep.

Sorry.

I don't like it , but I'm not going to lie to myself about it either.

You are free to contiue with your disbelief.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yep.

Sorry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Just... no.

Yep.

Sorry.

Go start your own thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
It's strating.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I am heavy into Oil, Land, and ehhhh, sporting equipment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Um, how many banks do you know of here that will service non bank customers?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Merka!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
OMG!

OMG!!

OMG!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Have we started bombing Italy yet?

Refusing USD is an act of terrorism
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]
My friends just got back yesterday from a 2 week stay in Italy and had no problem transferring from the USD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I would just like to think OP for sharing pics of his trip to Italy in his avatar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rearry???

"10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come." Revelation 18:10
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I have never tried a direct exchange for cash but a few months ago they had no problems with Travelers Checks in US currency and I bought from a jeweler in Pompeii with USD.  More than likely it involves counterfeiting issue.

To the idiots talking about bond dumping...LoL
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I'm not a Jeep guy at all, but that's not a fucking Jeep. I said the same thing about the GTO and I'm not a muscle car guy either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Italy is like a fancy Mexico... (I'm Italian BTW). Everyone is pretty much out to screw you over.. They have gotten so good at milking Americans that it is just part of everyday life. When exchange rates suck the banks and shops will tell you to fuck off and die with your USD. They do exchange currency, they just don't want to right now.. As and visitor WTF are you going to do.

My parents are in Palermo right now and say its gotten worse. Restaurants havering different menus for English vs Italian with different prices is bad.. My was born in Italy and is not all that happy with what it has become.
View Quote
Sounds like Hawaii--out to screw whitey.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Most banks do not exchange currency.

Take some Euros and go to your local bank. They will not give you dollars.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably harder for them to do tax evasion with dollars.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bank of America has never given me a problem with major currencies.  

Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Traveling abroad tips....OP, ATM's are your friend. use them.

I was just in Australia & Japan these past 3 weeks... i was also Italy,spain,greece last summer. i have NEVER had a problem getting my funds when traveling abroad. Granted i never went to major bank..but WTH would i need to? its 2013!

edit: My BOFA will exchange any currency i bring them. In fact I exchanged 10,000yen for roughly $95 bucks today..grnated it took the lady forever to figure out the exchange rate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I grew up 10 miles from the Canadian border and had tons of trouble finding a bank that would exchange Canadian dollars for USD the few times when I did it 5-10 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Flame suit on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on.

If you have an account and it's on the local side, they will do the exchange.  

If you walk into a foreign bank with a wad of any colorful paper and tell them to exchange it, you get the boot unless you have a relationship with them and an account.

SOP.

Changing currency is a PITA for your local bank and the brick and mortar want no part of it (you aren't exactly The royal bank of The Duchy of Fenwick's biggest return customer list).  It's not like they are advertising changes for a premium.  On a fake $100.00 and they just lost the profit from the next 800 exchanges.  Not worth it for them.

Any of the given normal exchanges that charge a markup and thus accept the risk LOVE to change American money.  

Even then, most smart US travelers are using credit cards and taking advantage of lower exchange rates on ATM transfers anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Flame suit on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on.

My local Credit Union has no problems doing it. Going from USD to Euro I will have to call ahead.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Flame suit on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame suit on.

Same with Wells Fargo, as a matter of fact, Wells Fargo have foreign exchange billboard up in all the branches I visit.
The only issue I had was, a few years ago, I was trying to get Krones (currency of Norway) in one of the wells Fargo branch near my house, but was re-directed to the main branch, because they do not have enough Krones at my branch.
In my experience, US banks have no problem exchanging foreign currency to US currency.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Who uses banks?

I always got a better exchange rate from merchants or locals when ever traveling over seas.

Everyone wanted USD.
View Quote

Clever! but.. Im not so sure they still "want" our USD. Our dollar isnt worth shit!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you walk into a foreign bank with a wad of any colorful paper and tell them to exchange it, you get the boot unless you have a relationship with them and an account.

SOP.

Changing currency is a PITA for your local bank and the brick and mortar want to part of it.  It's not like they are advertising changes for a premium.  On a fake $100.00 and they just lost the profit from the next 800 exchanges.  Not worth it for them.

Any of the given normal exchanges that charge a markup and thus accept the risk LOVE to change American money.  

Even then, most smart US travelers are using credit cards and taking advantage of lower exchange rates on ATM transfers anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame suit on.

SOP.

Changing currency is a PITA for your local bank and the brick and mortar want to part of it.  It's not like they are advertising changes for a premium.  On a fake $100.00 and they just lost the profit from the next 800 exchanges.  Not worth it for them.

No I was just going after the BOA hate.  I order cash here mostly and then get out of ATM there for cash discount.  AMEX for everything else for no transaction fee.  In the less civilized parts of the world (Africa and South America) I did all of my business in USD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Go to the Gypsy bank in Italy --- I promise they will take your money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#45]
All you people saying your bank will do it.

His dad did not have an account with a bank in Italy.

Now go to a local bank where you do not have an account and try it. They will not do it, just like in Italy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No I was just going after the BOA hate.  I order cash here mostly and then get out of ATM there for cash discount.  AMEX for everything else for no transaction fee.  In the less civilized parts of the world (Africa and South America) I did all of my business in USD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on.

SOP.

BOA.  Hate away.  I was really just trying to explain to the doom and gloom crowd why it works on our side and doesn't over there unless it's a branch of your global bank.

My college roommate is in Africa working on something right now.  He has to use a mix of currencies and barter.  It's a nightmare to get anything to him physically.  

I don't envy any of you guys working over there longer than it takes me to fly over it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks Obama!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Most banks don't readily exchange currency from foreign currency anymore, I don't think this anything new.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All you people saying your bank will do it.

His dad did not have an account with a bank in Italy.

Now go to a local bank where you do not have an account and try it. They will not do it, just like in Italy.

View Quote

I have no Wells Fargo account and have exchanged there, but get what you're getting at and agree, was just being slightly obtuse and stoking the fires at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

BOA.  Hate away.  I was really just trying to explain to the doom and gloom crowd why it works on our side and doesn't over there unless it's a branch of your global bank.

My college roommate is in Africa working on something right now.  He has to use a mix of currencies and barter.  It's a nightmare to get anything to him physically.  

I don't envy any of you guys working over there longer than it takes me to fly over it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame suit on.

SOP.

What country?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top