Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most banks do not exchange currency.

Take some Euros and go to your local bank. They will not give you dollars.
View Quote

Yep, I never change dollars. Use ATM card.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What country?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

...snip

What country?

Tanzania.  

He had a photo op with the President (both our and theirs) and he refuses to show me either because I'll give him a hard time.

He's a damned hard worker and ended up there after getting his MBA.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just a few years ago, yes. US Dollars were king.

If true, this is disturbing. Did the banks offer a reason for refusing the exchange?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad told me at one time, the Italians would fall over themselves for USD's.

Just a few years ago, yes. US Dollars were king.

If true, this is disturbing. Did the banks offer a reason for refusing the exchange?

It's been much much longer than a few years ago...  Hell, when I was there in 2009, 1.50 USD = 1 E, and had been that way for a little while already.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This may come as a surprise, but most foreign banks won't do currency exchanges.   Ran into this problem in both Germany and Belguim a LONG time ago.  You have to go to a designated central bank.

Same in the states. I cannot exchange Canadian dollars at my bank without calling ahead for example.

We now return you to the usual "Chicken Little"  SOP.
View Quote

Also this.

OP, why didn't he just use an ATM?  Works perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are funny. Of all the fiat currencies ours is the strongest. It's more they want you using their rip off exchange centers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your fiat currency is more worthless than their fiat currency.
View Quote

It's quickly becoming that.............
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks Obama!
View Quote

Ya.....Thanks to that POS of a President!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
i went into my local bank, a Chase one and tried to break a hundred dollar bill. Was told i needed an account to do so, and to swipe my card for ID. WTF???? Ask thme how come and the reply was" it policy". even though i had an account, i just turned and walked out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh FUCK
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would just like to think OP for sharing pics of his trip to Italy in his avatar.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Italy is like a fancy Mexico... (I'm Italian BTW). Everyone is pretty much out to screw you over.. They have gotten so good at milking Americans that it is just part of everyday life. When exchange rates suck the banks and shops will tell you to fuck off and die with your USD. They do exchange currency, they just don't want to right now.. As and visitor WTF are you going to do.

My parents are in Palermo right now and say its gotten worse. Restaurants havering different menus for English vs Italian with different prices is bad.. My was born in Italy and is not all that happy with what it has become.
View Quote

You're not Italian, your sicilian :) Italy ends south of Florence ;)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Swiss People laugh at your banks shenanigans ;)

We do have currencies bureau here, and all they do is exchange currencies. And there are lots of them
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
OMG Italy makes the world go round. OH WAIT other than wine no one gives a fuck
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like this has been covered.  your money still works in the EU..
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
The Italians know the USD is being devalued via QE 1-4. Thanks for nothing Osama Bin Ber Nank.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Italy is like a fancy Mexico... (I'm Italian BTW). Everyone is pretty much out to screw you over.. They have gotten so good at milking Americans that it is just part of everyday life. When exchange rates suck the banks and shops will tell you to fuck off and die with your USD. They do exchange currency, they just don't want to right now.. As and visitor WTF are you going to do.

My parents are in Palermo right now and say its gotten worse. Restaurants havering different menus for English vs Italian with different prices is bad.. My was born in Italy and is not all that happy with what it has become.

Dats racist.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not a Jeep guy at all, but that's not a fucking Jeep. I said the same thing about the GTO and I'm not a muscle car guy either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not a Jeep guy at all, but that's not a fucking Jeep. I said the same thing about the GTO and I'm not a muscle car guy either.

The new "GTO" is just a Grand Prix with a rear wheel drive conversion. Decent car but doesn't deserve the badge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Your fiat currency is more worthless than their fiat currency.
View Quote
But I thought that was the home of Fiat ?

What gives ??

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Swiss People laugh at your banks shenanigans ;)

We do have currencies bureau here, and all they do is exchange currencies. And there are lots of them
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Italians know the USD is being devalued via QE 1-4. Thanks for nothing Osama Bin Ber Nank.
View Quote

they were one cunts hair from not being able to borrow sovereign debt at a reasonable rate.   You backed them and the greeks...  bailing them out is impossible, the EU would split north to south (and eastern former soviets) done in one shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've never known banks to take walk-in currency there. However, I do know there are Italian government tourist kiosks that will do exchanges for spot value. Greece was the same way when I went.
View Quote
It's because of counterfeits.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Italians treat other Italians like shit.

You think they would treat you any better than they treat themselves?

Dude, I have some elephant balls in Catania to sell you!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
No one uses banks to exchange currency anymore. If I ran a bank I wouldn't see that as a profitable business model.

These days everyone uses ATM's. The exchange rate is much better.

I guess I am part of a new generation. I have never taken cash out of a bank; always an ATM.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Africa begins at the Po.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Another one for ATMs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This may come as a surprise, but most foreign banks won't do currency exchanges.   Ran into this problem in both Germany and Belguim a LONG time ago.  You have to go to a designated central bank.

Same in the states. I cannot exchange Canadian dollars at my bank without calling ahead for example.

We now return you to the usual "Chicken Little"  SOP.
View Quote

What I was thinking. It's funny to watch all these members trip over themselves preaching doom.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I lived in Germany from 2000-2009. I never had a problem exchanging USD for EUR in any bank I walked into.

When we flew back in 2009 I had about 100 Euros to travel on. We were flying Lufthansa and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of drinking money for the long flight. Joke was on me, They didn't charge us for the beer on the flight. Go Germans.

Anyway when I got the FT Campbell, I took my leftover Euros to the Bank Of America on post to exchange them for dollars. They told me I needed an account. I said no problem I had an account with the BofA on post in Germany. They said it's not the same as BofA in the US. They said I would have to open an account there and I would get the dollar value deposited into my account in a week or so. I said I can't exchange them for dollars on the spot? and they said they couldn't be sure they weren't counterfeit. I told her that Euros are a hell of a lot harder to counterfeit than Dollars. She looked at them like they were monopoly money. I walked out. I needed the money as I hadn't gotten a new job yet and the move was costly. Especially being without our household goods for another month.

When I got a job on post at the Hospital I met a soldier there that was Belgian. He was getting out of the US army soon and going back to Belgium. He gladly bought my Euros from me for a little better than market rate.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Blame it on the Californians?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Africa begins at the Po.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Africa begins at the Po.

Never said where in Italy my family was from.

It's a small town about 20 miles inland from Naples called Panne. Today its only a few thousand people, when my Dad left when he was 12 it was about 200 people.

I will agree that pretty much once you come down from the mountians in the north, its pretty much just varying shades of North Africa....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]
#1 - local banks around the city are NOT for currency exchange.  You'll have no more luck converting dollars to Euros at the counter than you would converting the few extra Euros you fund in your luggage at your local bank.

#2 - with more automation such as barcode scanning and getting an electric total and knowing the cash regsiter will be counted at the end of the day it's hard for the euro equivalent of a Walgreens to accept anything but Euros...because the drawer will be off at the end of the day.

If you want to test the buying power of a dollar offer it to your cab driver or your restaurant
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the Russians and Chinese dump our bonds on the open market (pissed over Syria?) our currency will collapse within that hour.

I wouldn't hold excessive Federal Reserve Notes right now either.  

No. Just... no.

Yep.

Sorry.

I don't like it , but I'm not going to lie to myself about it either.

You are free to contiue with your disbelief.  

Go start your own thread. http://images2.teenspot.com/boards/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

I don't think I will.
I think I will stay here and make fun of your warped state of disbelief.

How do you think our unbacked currency being devalued to near zero by our "investors" will not effect you?

The Russians and Chinese have a WMD you've never considered.
It takes no ICBM to deliver it, and we sold it to them.  SMART!    

What else do you not believe is real?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Tanzania.  

He had a photo op with the President (both our and theirs) and he refuses to show me either because I'll give him a hard time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip

What country?

Tanzania.  

Wow we worked with a company called Fuel Group out of South Africa there on some PEPFAR and capacity building subjects.  Lots and lots of barter as well as lots of "gifting" to the right people to get things done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If the Russians and Chinese dump our bonds on the open market (pissed over Syria?) our currency will collapse within that hour.

View Quote

They'd be slitting their own throats.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bank of America has never given me a problem with major currencies.  

Flame suit on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bank of America has never given me a problem with major currencies.  

Flame suit on.

Currency exchange is a member only service at my credit union.
That's pretty understandable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

By crashing the Petro-Dollar market they would then be able to set fuel prices globally.

Think about them apples.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol@loons
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  At work we used to give the guys cash before traveling internationally.  Wells Fargo was good about withdrawing in a foreign currency if you gave them a couple of days notice, but with the bad exchange rate, it isn't much more expensive to pay the fees at a local ATM.  It's also much more convenient.  I think I paid about $3 for the last 50 Euro I withdrew.  It was worth that compared to calling ahead to Wells Fargo and making a trip to the bank.z
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#39]
They probably didn't have any Euros to give him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Nobody in Europe gives a damn about USDs. After spending a little over two weeks over there this spring, I noticed that no one over there gets excited over dollars. You might as well have Czech korinas or Hugarian forints. They will gladly exchange at the currenty exchange, but nowhere takes dollars anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Bari is an itty bitty town.

Neat, but small and insular.

No surprise here.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Look at what happened to Ghadaffi when he refused to deal with USD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Wow we worked with a company called Fuel Group out of South Africa there on some PEPFAR and capacity building subjects.  Lots and lots of barter as well as lots of "gifting" to the right people to get things done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip

What country?

Tanzania.  

He's having a very similar experience.
You now have to account for all products that come into the country and have them cataloged for inspection or they will be taken for "inspection" (meaning that stuff is gone, but might be sold back if you express enough interest).  
Because they are in that mess, I told him he forgot to grease a wheel somewhere.  Someone is trying to make up for his usual take.  
They got the President to sort it out for a time, but that lasts about as long as aftershave... or so I'm told.
He's a terribly smart guy.  If anyone can get that project done, it'll be him.  I just wouldn't trade jobs with him.  The pay is excellent for him though.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's got more to do with US banking regulations than the value of the currency. We're trying to make everyone in the world comply, and report, and the European banks are just opting out of doing business with US citizen customers. More than likely, if an Italian citizen showed up to do the exchange, they'd do it happily. A US citizen is starting to carry along a huge load of issues, for doing business, so the international community is refusing to do business with us.
View Quote

In kind we should stop buying their stuff and they will collapse just before us but this time there will be no Joe US citizen taxpayer to rebuild them and defend them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top