Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2013 6:56:24 AM EDT
worth a shit?

Woot has one today for $65. It won't be my everyday, just a backup and to wear hunting, etc.

Discuss.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure theyare worth it, as I don't own one.
That being said, when I see them on shopNBC.com it seems like it is all marketing.
"They are using the such-and-such movement" get it for your collection now type of stuff.
Most that I see is just too big, ugly or gaudy for my tastes, and it doesn't matter what they cost.
If any particular one floats your boat, and the price is OK with you, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
i won't wear one, as you can get better quality for the same or a little more money. currently i'm wearing an Orient Mako that i scored for $100 on amazon. I also find invictas to be terribly ugly, and poor knockoffs. most of them are entirely too big also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, they're ugly, tasteless, and meh in every way.  Don't wear a watch like a real man, or man up and grab something tasteful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
For $65- it will tell time.
Just don't go thinking it's some great deal or anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two.  Great watches.  Many choices, shop amazon.

It beats having to lug around a sun dial.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one.  It was OK.  Go with something else though, like a Casio G-Shock or a Seiko
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Crap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, they're ugly, tasteless, and meh in every way.  Don't wear a watch like a real man, or man up and grab something tasteful.
View Quote

Owner is a giant douche nozzle.  I have no respect for the brand.  Get a nice Seiko.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Don't hate:

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an invicta Submariner clone. I bought it for $90. Good watch and the repair dept is really easy to deal with also. I have had mine for 5 years and wear it on occasion. My EDW is a Citizen's Calibre. I would like to get an omega sea master as my next one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Such.  Fucking.  Garbage.

The "Russian Diver" is the pinnacle of Invicta bullshit garbage.  They have some schlocky bullshit story about how they have history with the Russians.  It's fucking bullshit.  That watch is garbage and has absolutely nothing to do with Russia or diving.  

If you want a Zlatoust, get one.  If you want a Vostok, get one.  Either one of them is actually waterproof to the point that you can more than shower with it, designed in Russia, and made in Russia.  Neither has anything to do with Invicta either in the past or the present.

Invicta makes fashion watches and sells them with a maximum of hyperbole and weasel words.  They invent whole new classes of weasel words in an industry that already had a critical mass of sneaky language.  "Flame Fusion".  "Swiss Technica Ebauche".  Invictaese for "top dollar trash".
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The original price is $595 and it has a prestigious sounding name. They are selling it for 90% off so it has to be awesome, right?

Lets admit something right now, if that statement was made about anything but a watch GD would flame you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
There are a few decent ones, most are meh. I own a few that I picked up over the years. A couple I still wear from time to time.

I've become a fan of the Sottomarino line of watches carried by Precision Time, and we've had a few threads on here about some screaming deals including a ceramic cased watch with sapphire crystal, and a stainless steel/sapphire crystal dive style watch with tritium vials.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Real men don't wear watches?

Hmmmm every Ranger, SEAL, Green Beret, Marine grunt, SoF guy, or infantryman I've ever known wears a watch.  

Guess they're all pussies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The "Russian Diver" is the pinnacle of Invicta bullshit garbage.  They have some schlocky bullshit story about how they have history with the Russians.  It's fucking bullshit.  That watch is garbage and has absolutely nothing to do with Russia or diving.  

If you want a Zlatoust, get one.  If you want a Vostok, get one.  Either one of them is actually waterproof to the point that you can more than shower with it, designed in Russia, and made in Russia.  Neither has anything to do with Invicta either in the past or the present.

Invicta makes fashion watches and sells them with a maximum of hyperbole and weasel words.  They invent whole new classes of weasel words in an industry that already had a critical mass of sneaky language.  "Flame Fusion".  "Swiss Technica Ebauche".  Invictaese for "top dollar trash".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I almost bought one.  Almost, until I saw this:

I like it mo' bettah....and no battery!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Invicta watches are for people that want a watch that looks like a high end watch, but don't want to pay more than $100.00 for a watch.  They are beginner watches for people learning about the watch hobby.  

Invicta used to be a legitimate Swiss watch company with it's roots going back to the 1800's.  Like many other Swiss watch companies, the quartz watch devastated the company and they sold the name.  

They have done some very nice charitable work, including sending free watches to Soldiers serving overseas.  

In the end, they are on par, IMO, with Timex and other "Mall Watches".  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.bluedial.com/images/Items/BM8475-00X.jpg

View Quote

Citizen sells watches.  Invicta sells stories.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

An infinitely better watch... You made the right choice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you approve!  

What the hell is a Flieger dial?

I know nothing about watches except if they look cool or not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Invicta = The Vulcan-Hesse of watches.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fuck?
Try being on time, like a real man.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see why Invicta has a big market share, they've got a shit ton of styles and are relatively cheap.

They're all over the interwebs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As long as you approve!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you approve!  

Here's my Flieger..

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As long as you approve!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you approve!  

Here's my ecodrive:

I like 'em just fine.  

Flieger is german for "flyer", or pilot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#25]
The $65 dollar watch probably has a retail price of $87,000.00.

I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Invicta watches are for people that want a watch that looks like a high end watch, but don't want to pay more than $100.00 for a watch.  They are beginner watches for people learning about the watch hobby.  

Invicta used to be a legitimate Swiss watch company with it's roots going back to the 1800's.  Like many other Swiss watch companies, the quartz watch devastated the company and they sold the name.  

They have done some very nice charitable work, including sending free watches to Soldiers serving overseas.  

In the end, they are on par, IMO, with Timex and other "Mall Watches".  

View Quote

By and large spot on. The do however have a few with Valjoux movements, and I believe made of gold. But yeah, about 99 percent of what they offer are fashion watches based largely upon popular styles. A few have Swiss movements, a few have Swiss parts movement, a good number have Japanese movements, and it seems an increasing number have Chinese movements.

Although, I have to admit, I have a Panerai homage watch that has a Chinese Seagull movement, and so far I've been impressed. Keeps accurate time, and has a 48 hour power reserve.

Bottom line, buy it if you like. For $60 you can't go too wrong.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Invictas are cheap garbage. Their whole line and reputation is a joke.

You can get nice watches without breaking the bank. Heres my three I cycle through:

Seiko Black Monster ($200 on Amazon)

Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk ($450-600 on Amazon)

Tag Hauer Aquaracer (~$2000 on Amazon, I actually dont really like this watch and never wear it)

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#28]
i like mine
im a lefty and its one of the few 'left handed' watches designed to be worn on right hand
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Not at all what you asked about, but fuck it, its Monday.  Here is what I wear, and I love it:

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Get a Seiko 5 and go home.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Invicta is the Taurus of the watch world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't take one for free.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I got one, don't remember the name, it's a big son of a bitch, I like it
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Fancy watches just scream my pecker is this :.. big.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Says the guy walking a big cock...

Compensating much?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#36]
there are two levels of Invicta,  the lower end ones that are about 50-100 bucks with I think chinese or taiwanese movements  and then a higher end line that is anywhere from 200-350 bucks with swiss movements.

I have a couple of the lower end ones I got really really cheap on deal sites just to try. Decent watches but definitely lower end
and keep time fine. when I smash them I don't freak out. wouldn't mind a higher end one but usually buy used Tag's at that price....

I am a lefty and like they make left handed watches. I wear a GShock day to day and and wear a Seiko Black Monster a lot too.  I have huge hands and wrists so most watches look like girls watches on me, the bigger invictas look "normal". Even the Seiko looks kinda small on my arms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]
depends on the watch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#38]
They are a nice starter watch. One of my favorite watches is my Invicta Lefty, this a random picture of it I found online. Real purdy if you ask me
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]

I've got this one.  Happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They are a nice starter watch. One of my favorite watches is my Invicta Lefty, this a random picture of it I found online. Real purdy if you ask me http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f29/303211d1278806113-fs-invicta-lefty-quartz-chrono-sold-4_270128_300000000.jpg
View Quote

That's a sharp watch, if it didnt say Invicta on it people wouldn't hate it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Compensating much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compensating much?

I talk the talk 'cause I rock the cock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Craig Sawyer (top shot expert, fmr. SEAL, and POF spokesman) is/was a spokesman for them
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#43]
There are so many other good "entry level" brands that would be money better spent. Seiko 5's are great for the money, if you want something more.....exotic.....Vostoks are nice. Once you break the $100 mark Orient, Seiko, Sea-Gull, Citizen all have plenty of nice offerings.

Just be careful with watches, if the bug bites you it can get out of control real quick, I've fallen in love with the Nomos Club Dunkel, and I must have one. Problem is the price tag is a little shy of $2,000

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#45]
And hey, if you really want a big russian diver watch, Zlatoust is back in production.  It's not the same as the old ones, but it sure is closer than Invicta.

They're about $200.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And hey, if you really want a big russian diver watch, Zlatoust is back in production.  It's not the same as the old ones, but it sure is closer than Invicta.

http://russian-watches.info/published/publicdata/FORSHOP/attachments/SC/products_pictures/hand_enl.jpg

They're about $200.
View Quote

Ugly! And so are the Invicta "Russian Divers."
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#47]
My first "nice" watch was an Invicta.  It is one of their auto Pro Divers.  I still wear it from time to time, but I now have an Orient, a couple Seikos, a Citizen and a Hamilton.  I most likely won't ever buy another Invicta know that I know better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Invictas are garbage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have an invicta Submariner clone. I bought it for $90. Good watch and the repair dept is really easy to deal with also. I have had mine for 5 years and wear it on occasion. My EDW is a Citizen's Calibre. I would like to get an omega sea master as my next one.
View Quote

Wow, same here actually, got my invicta sub in 2001 I believe. I wear it more than my rolex actually. It's usually the invicta or the calibre.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#50]
If you want a $100 watch that'll take a beating and keep accurate time get a Casio. You can get professional looking Seiko, Citizen, etc. for around $2-300.  If you want something you can be proud of and pass down to your children it's going to cost more.

ETA A couple of people on here have recommended Blue Dial.com as an authorized Citizen dealer and I had good luck with them with a Citizen myself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top