BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2013 8:27:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Protip: Don't sneak into houses and then jump out at people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
God, that's terrible.

Love the photo they found for the kid. Reminds me why I don't take photos like that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Protip: Don't sneak into houses and then jump out at people.
View Quote

+1...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Someone was playing a stupid game and won big time.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been told that it's known among my circle not to fuck with me in this manner lest there be results such as this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
"Despite his sadness Praveen Lal said he feels no anger towards Nerrek Galley."

Wow.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes kids will be kids

I know its GD, but some young people like to have fun and expect to not get shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Very Sad, tragic loss of someone's beautiful daughter. I'm just a little skeptical on why he had the rifle pointed in that direction or how the event unfolded.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Tragedy for all involved.
Prayers to the families.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
You kind of have to wonder about the mindset of people who think it would be a good idea to startle a paranoid gun owner in their own home.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You kind of have to wonder about the mindset of people who think it would be a good idea to startle a paranoid gun owner in their own home.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Break into somebody's house and jump out at them in the middle of the night?  Hmm...
Sorry..but Darwin wins again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Break into somebody's house and jump out at them in the middle of the night?  Hmm...
View Quote

It appears that what "won" here is tragedy.

High spirited teenagers are known to do things like that.

As other replies have noted, a lot more details are needed.

The shooter failed to identify his target before his finger engaged the bang switch - massive fail.  I agree.

Was it a high crime area?  Had there been recent home invasions or break-ins?  Was he primed by some past events to be expecting possible trouble?

Still doesn't excuse his failure, but such details might mitigate my judgment of him somewhat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The shooter failed to identify his target before his finger engaged the bang switch - massive fail.  I agree.

Was it a high crime area?  Had there been recent home invasions or break-ins?  Was he primed by some past events to be expecting possible trouble?

Still doesn't excuse his failure, but such details might mitigate my judgment of him somewhat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see failure on the person hiding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been told that it's known among my circle not to fuck with me in this manner lest there be results such as this.
View Quote

Well aren't you a bad ass bro.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Depends on whether he knew she was in the house or not. If so, he should have identified his target, unless she actually rushed him and made it seem like an attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see failure on the person hiding.

Depends on whether he knew she was in the house or not. If so, he should have identified his target, unless she actually rushed him and made it seem like an attack.

What if he heard a noise in a closet thought no one was home and they jumped out?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it appears to be a failure on the part of the person who got shot.  Sucks, but if you break into someone's house and jump out at them getting shot is a risk you're taking.   If I know where all the authorized people are anyone jumping out at me is attacking me and a threat.  They're probably going to get shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#21]
When I first got out of the navy I was at work on Halloween and we had a Guy come out
of a dark office in a mask trying to scare me I nearly Dropped him on the spot

He was pulling off the mask and saying "No No" I guess he realized my reflexes were faster than my thinking process.

If I would have hit him I probably would have killed him.

It is Never smart to scare people.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope some of you never have family lest they'd all wind up dead from every bump in the night that you might hear.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#24]
What a horrible story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   Tragic but avoidable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Well, to be fair I included the word paranoid because of the evidence. It seems a little suspicious to me that someone could shoot a best friend or family member without identifying them first.

I don't know how dark it was in the room, etc. But the shooter probably should have been a little more careful. Not saying a crime was committed though.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's certainly a tragedy, but the law usually accounts for them, at least.

I think you'd have a reasonable fear for your life if someone lunged at you from a closet, screaming, when you thought your home was secure. That doesn't make the guy feel any better about what he did, but there was no crime committed here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people tend to know it's not a good idea to play a mock attack on someone in their home. Those who don't, likely don't often consider that people might defend themselves. When they encounter someone that can and will, it's outside the norm and gets talked about.

That, or he's a bad ass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I first got out of the navy I was at work on Halloween and we had a Guy come out
of a dark office in a mask trying to scare me I nearly Dropped him on the spot

He was pulling off the mask and saying "No No" I guess he realized my reflexes were faster than my thinking process.

If I would have hit him I probably would have killed him.

It is Never smart to scare people.

View Quote

If it wasn't Halloween, don't you think it would have been more likely that your cognition wouldn't have kicked in as quickly?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Cute girl hides in closet and surprises same aged male ...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm just a little skeptical on why he had the rifle pointed in that direction or how the event unfolded.

View Quote

It doesn't say he shot her with a rifle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#32]
At first I thought this was a PSL, and liked the wood - but I see the 45 degree cut on the rear of the receiver, and vaguely recall a Saiga import for the civilian market in a hunting caliber that had nice wood on it.

Can anyone ID it?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just a little skeptical on why he had the rifle pointed in that direction or how the event unfolded.

True. The photo shows him with one, which I'm sure isn't intended to color your subconscious notion of him or gun owners in general :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Her family even recognizes it as an accident but the cops still gotta try to pin something on the shooter.     Hope there is more to the story on his arrest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

At first I thought this was a PSL, and liked the wood - but I see the 45 degree cut on the rear of the receiver, and vaguely recall a Saiga import for the civilian market in a hunting caliber that had nice wood on it.

Can anyone ID it?

http://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/nerrek-d-galley-1-his-facebook.jpg?w=420&h=315
View Quote
Vepr 54R.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Well that sucks for everyone involved.

Tons of details missing but if I think I'm home alone and I hear noises in my closet and someone jumps out and rushes me screaming....They might just get shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Having a flashlight mounted on your handgun helps a lot.
View Quote

Yes, BUT remember this is NOT your PRIMARY search light.    It's ONLY for confirmation before you shoot.

If you use this as your primary you'll be pointing your firearm at everything you're searching for - whether or not it's a target you want to destroy.  This can lead to accidental discharges - or get yourself shot at as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

You're absolutely right, and you know what?

I "assumed" he did.

Another lesson in being damn careful with media stories.

I should know better.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can anyone ID it?

http://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/nerrek-d-galley-1-his-facebook.jpg?w=420&h=315
View Quote

I want to say Valmet something or other??
Just a SWAG; I don't know.

Nevermind. Beat by VEPR experts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Galley was arrested for charges unrelated to the shooting, but not unrelated to firearms. Satur said that Galley allegedly allowed Lal’s 15-year-old brother to possess a handgun with his parents’ permission, which is a felony in Colorado. He is being held on high bail because, according to the arresting officer Billy Sawyer, he “has no ties to the community with a permanent residence,” as he “has been in Colorado for a very short time and his family lives in Utah.”
View Quote

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/08/eighteen-year-old-honor-student-shot-by-family-friend-in-extremely-tragic-prank/
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]
More details are needed but if he didn't expect anybody in the house and someone jumped out of a closet at him, it lies solely on the person who got shot.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Good fucking grief. Some people are not responsible enough for owning a gun.

When we went into buildings we had it drilled in our fucking heads to still positively identify the target before shooting.

If you can train soldiers to do that in a combat zone with enemy combatants. Then, there is no excuse a civilian cant do that when he/she should be smart enough to think there might be family home.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Very Sad, tragic loss of someone's beautiful daughter. I'm just a little skeptical on why he had the rifle pointed in that direction or how the event unfolded.
View Quote

I didn't see a rifle mentioned in the article. I saw a picture of the guy holding a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When we went into buildings we had it drilled in our fucking heads to still positively identify the target before shooting.

If you can train soldiers to do that in a combat zone with enemy combatants. Then, there is no excuse a civilian cant do that when he/she should be smart enough to think there might be family home.
View Quote

What if they thought no one should be there?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Article says the charges are unrelated to the shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Her family even recognizes it as an accident but the cops still gotta try to pin something on the shooter.     Hope there is more to the story on his arrest.

Article says the charges are unrelated to the shooting.

Magazines? it is Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top