Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/8/2013 5:34:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It's legal tender and must be accepted.  I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a guy who tried to pay in sheep.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't pay your property taxes in pennies you're a statist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Should have left the kids at home. The Clerk didn't set the Tax rate, he's blaming the wrong individual.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted. I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?
View Quote

You know how many people claim this when they try to pay parking tickets in pennies? Doesn't work that way...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I dream of doing shit like this.  One day, I'm going to personally drive a truck bed full of pennies to the IRS to pay my taxes.

Then I'll sue them when they don't accept it
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#8]
More people should do the same
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know how many people claim this when they try to pay parking tickets in pennies? Doesn't work that way...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted. I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?

But pennies are money and not the fiat currency the federal reserve notes are.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Article 1 Section 10 United States Constitution.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Anytime a person says "I'm not trying to make your job difficult", he really is.  And as said above he's fucking over the wrong person.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dream of doing shit like this.  One day, I'm going to personally drive a truck bed full of pennies to the IRS to pay my taxes.

Then I'll sue them when they don't accept it
View Quote

The rules aren't for them, just you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Does he really need that many people with cameras, he's probably also a guy that brings his annoying kids to restaurants and on airplanes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy drama queen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Should have used that for the strip club instead.  Would have been epic.

ETA:  And, they would have gladly counted it there!

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't understand the point.

"I'm not here to make your life more difficult, but here's 7k $1 bills."

That's like morons that believe saying "No offense, but" excuses whatever bullshit they're going to say next. It doesn't. You're still an asshole.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted.  I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?
View Quote

No on both.
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]

The guy thinks he is making a huge statement when in reality, all he is doing is making life more difficult for some $12 per hour clerk.

Nice going Captain Freedom.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Guy in jacket with glasses recording is a douche.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guy in jacket with glasses recording is a douche.
View Quote

All parties involved are douches
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

A State didn't print the bills.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
What an asshole.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and Congress delegated its power to create money away under the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't understand the point.

"I'm not here to make your life more difficult, but here's 7k $1 bills."

That's like morons that believe saying "No offense, but" excuses whatever bullshit they're going to say next. It doesn't. You're still an asshole.
View Quote

Is that any different from some government lackey saying "I don't make the laws, but I'm here to take your land by force over tribute you didn't pay"?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Wanna be a BALLER!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Property taxes should be completely outlawed.

The idea that a government can charge you a fee for owning property, every year, is absurd, ludicrous, and ultimately criminal.

It's one of the worst abuses of government that we have become conditioned to accept as normal and ordinary.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The idea that a government can charge you a fee for owning property, every year, is absurd, ludicrous, and ultimately criminal.

It's one of the worst abuses of government that we have become conditioned to accept as normal and ordinary.

View Quote

It's insurance to pay for the public services that protect your property.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Considering the services received they wouldn't be all that bad. The main problem is that you have to fund the attempted education of other people's children. If I didn't have to fund education of people I've never met my property taxes would not cover much more than the volunteer fire department, sheriff, and a few county workers that actually seem to do work.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#29]
"For all debts public and private"
Fuck 'em, lucky they didn't get pennies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Should have wraped that knot in a $100 bill.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#31]
nvm
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#32]
He made a good point.  Often times, we really don't see exactly how much money is going towards property and school taxes.  "It's just part of the mortgage."

Good on him.  It's a ridiculous amount of money with often way too much waste.  This goes for all taxes, not just local school taxes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I totally agree with this guy. Things are out of hand, and you have to start somewhere. People are sick and tired of getting robbed by this government and it's out of control spending. He has good points.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#34]

OK, this is local to me, and I have no sympathy for this guy.

Robert Fernandes, a father of three, moved to Forks Township [PA] a year ago from Warren County [NJ], seeking lower property taxes for a larger home that could also house his elderly parents. Fernandes commutes to work as an IT manager for a company in Bedminster Township, N.J., while his wife home-schools the children, ages 7, 4 and 1.

Fernandes says he got a great deal on a short sale when he bought his home, but his annual property taxes total nearly $10,000. Reached by phone Tuesday, Fernandes said he doesn’t want to pay $7,143 in school taxes.

Just another immigrant from NJ moving into Free America and gradually turning it into West Jersey.  If you didn't do your research about the taxes on the home you bought, that's your problem.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Clerk should have started counting. Not finished by quitting time. Told him to come back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Considering the services received they wouldn't be all that bad. The main problem is that you have to fund the attempted education of other people's children. If I didn't have to fund education of people I've never met my property taxes would not cover much more than the volunteer fire department, sheriff, and a few county workers that actually seem to do work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Get the damn school district taxes out of it and have people pay for their individual children's education. My property tax for the county and city are 267.72. However the taxes from just the local school district are 671.68. I don't have children and being forced to pay for other peoples children and the end of a gun is bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My county (and hospital) gets about 15% of my tax bill. The rest goes to the school district and water authority. I have no kids and have a well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No on both.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

So, If legal tender does not by law have to be accepted, then, does offering payment in full with legal tender and being refused negate the debt?

In other words, he is my money, take it........ response NO..... mkay there is no debt now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Clerk should have started counting. Not finished by quitting time. Told him to come back tomorrow.
View Quote

Six thousand, nine hundred and forty three...
Six thousand, nine hundred and forty four...
Six thousand, nine hundred and forty five...
Six thousand, nine hundred and for......

Oops.  Lost count.

One...
Two...
Three..

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted.  
View Quote

EXACTLY!!!

Call the clerks supervisor......then call the supervisors superior.......and so forth!

Invite the local news reporter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Should have left the kids at home. The Clerk didn't set the Tax rate, he's blaming the wrong individual.
View Quote

This

Paying in one dollar bills is

what a moron
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't own the property.The U.S. GOVERNMENT  owns all property within it's borders.You may hold a deed of trust if you don't own anything on it.All taxes are too high.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That says that states may not mint define their own state level currency except for precious metals which will always have an easily identifiable exchange value at a federal level.  I don't see how what you've quoted is relevant in this case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

OK, this is local to me, and I have no sympathy for this guy.

View Quote

Robert Fernandes, a father of three, moved to Forks Township [PA] a year ago from Warren County [NJ], seeking lower property taxes for a larger home that could also house his elderly parents. Fernandes commutes to work as an IT manager for a company in Bedminster Township, N.J., while his wife home-schools the children, ages 7, 4 and 1.

Fernandes says he got a great deal on a short sale when he bought his home, but his annual property taxes total nearly $10,000. Reached by phone Tuesday, Fernandes said he doesn’t want to pay $7,143 in school taxes.

Just another immigrant from NJ moving into Free America and gradually turning it into West Jersey.  If you didn't do your research about the taxes on the home you bought, that's your problem.

What kind of house in PA warrants over $10k in property taxes?

That's literally a million dollar home here...and the tax rates where I am are considered ridiculous (at like 1.1%)

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#46]
His video was pretty stupid. The fake press conference, having a billion cameras.

He could have made the point without the entourage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Did they not wish to create joinder with the county clerk?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Some people have more free time than others I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Fuck property taxes and fuck paying for other people's kids to go to school.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#50]
They don't have to accept it. Coinage act of 1965 stopped it.  The law says it is legal tender, but nowhere does it say the other party has to accept it. Same law that allows airlines not to accept cash for inflight sales, and allows convenience store to not accept $100 bills.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top