Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
only problem i have with this....leave the kids at home and practice you're speech....don't look like a cheeseball reading off a paper with some hack floating around you with a camera
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clerk should have started counting. Not finished by quitting time. Told him to come back tomorrow.
View Quote

Better yet, she should have said, "This is going to take me 7 or 8  hours because I'll need to count it twice and can only count it with a second employee observing and I won't be able to issue you a receipt until I'm done counting.  There isn't a second employee available to dedicate to this until tomorrow morning and they only work four hours, so we'll finish this in a few days."
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Where I used to live, you could pick up your sticker for the taxes on your vehicle from either the grocery store or the tax office.  If you used the grocery store, you could use a check. The tax office was cash only.  

One year, they didn't bother sending me the paperwork I needed, so I had to use the tax office.  I go in there, and see the cash only sign.  I'm pissed because this is on my lunch hour, and now besides this shit, I also have to go to the bank.  So I'm driving to the bank, pissed off about the whole deal, and while standing in line, I decide to get the money I need for the tax in Susan B Anthony dollars.  I tell the teller  what I want, and she kinda smiles, then goes back to the safe and gets me the coins.  

I go back to the tax office along with my coins, and pay for my sticker.  The woman gives me one of these when I produce my coins.  Then I get another one from the supervisor when she sees what I've done.  I get my sticker and leave.  

The next year, they have changed their policy, and now take checks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://ww.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2013/09/forks_twp_man_pays_7140_tax_bi.html

Robert Fernandes, a father of three, moved to Forks Township [PA] a year ago from Warren County [NJ], seeking lower property taxes for a larger home that could also house his elderly parents. Fernandes commutes to work as an IT manager for a company in Bedminster Township, N.J., while his wife home-schools the children, ages 7, 4 and 1.

Fernandes says he got a great deal on a short sale when he bought his home, but his annual property taxes total nearly $10,000. Reached by phone Tuesday, Fernandes said he doesn’t want to pay $7,143 in school taxes.

Just another immigrant from NJ moving into Free America and gradually turning it into West Jersey.  If you didn't do your research about the taxes on the home you bought, that's your problem.

What kind of house in PA warrants over $10k in property taxes?

That's literally a million dollar home here...and the tax rates where I am are considered ridiculous (at like 1.1%)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, this is local to me, and I have no sympathy for this guy.

http://ww.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2013/09/forks_twp_man_pays_7140_tax_bi.html

Robert Fernandes, a father of three, moved to Forks Township [PA] a year ago from Warren County [NJ], seeking lower property taxes for a larger home that could also house his elderly parents. Fernandes commutes to work as an IT manager for a company in Bedminster Township, N.J., while his wife home-schools the children, ages 7, 4 and 1.

Fernandes says he got a great deal on a short sale when he bought his home, but his annual property taxes total nearly $10,000. Reached by phone Tuesday, Fernandes said he doesn’t want to pay $7,143 in school taxes.

Just another immigrant from NJ moving into Free America and gradually turning it into West Jersey.  If you didn't do your research about the taxes on the home you bought, that's your problem.

That's literally a million dollar home here...and the tax rates where I am are considered ridiculous (at like 1.1%)

My house values at around $375k here in Loudoun County and my property taxes are well over $5k/year.  $10k in property taxes would be an ~$750k home.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted.  I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?

No on both.
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

From your link... Yes. He was not dealing with a private org. He was paying taxes, and by there standard as I read it, must accept..

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck property taxes and fuck paying for other people's kids to go to school.
View Quote

It would blow your mind about how much "other people's XYZ" you pay for, even without all the welfare crap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Should have left the kids at home. The Clerk didn't set the Tax rate, he's blaming the wrong individual.
View Quote

True ,what's your point?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, I was just looking at EXACTLY that situation the other day in my RE search.  

Propertly listed as 280k assessment, taxes are 7k,  asking price is 168k.  

Now if I could get a guarantee of being taxed on an assessed value of 168k, I could swing it.  I cannot justify paying 7k taxes on a 280k assessment.  

Sounds like he didn't think like me; the taxman isn't going to give up his $7k for much of any reason.  They've already spent it budget wise.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy looks like one of the douche bag pick-up artists you see at clubs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the majority of you are missing the man's point. He isn't against property taxes for public services, he's pissed about having to pay over 7000 dollars to school other people's children. All 3 of his kids are homeschooled which means, little if any of that money is going to educating his children. If his property taxes are 10k a year and the school portion is 7100, that's a huge fucking problem right there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PA breaks the taxes into 3 separate bills....then has a 1% Income Tax for the school system here (on top of State/Federal taxes).   They've got an admittedly small "Occupational Privilege tax" ($30ish...have to check the last pay stub) once a year to help pay for emergency services in the area where you work.    

The largest bill is the School Tax.    

Here are the Millage rates for my Township:
0.00383000  (County)
0.00046812  (Municipal)
0.01286463   (School)
(total) 0.01716275

They recently changed the way they appraise the houses....the appraised value it close to the real value (used to be about half, but the Millage rates were about double...I'm a recent homeowner, so still learning).

So, for a $300k house in the Parkland School District...you're looking at about $5150 in total taxes with the bulk being school taxes.

There's a movement (with bipartisan support) in the Pennsylvania State Legislature to eliminate the School tax.    That is set by the elected school boards locally.     They would increase the sales tax a bit (including making some types of currently exempt items...food, clothing), increase the income tax a bit and it would wind up 'revenue neutral'...but naturally the school systems are up in arms as 'we can't budget that way' because the state will tell them what they get...

I'd love to see that, as there are a lot of out of state visitors that shop here (NJ, MD, NY, etc. etc.)...that would help pay for our schools....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the majority of you are missing the man's point. He isn't against property taxes for public services, he's pissed about having to pay over 7000 dollars to school other people's children. All 3 of his kids are homeschooled which means, little if any of that money is going to educating his children. If his property taxes are 10k a year and the school portion is 7100, that's a huge fucking problem right there.
View Quote

It's pretty normal though.  I pay $6500 in property taxes and $5000 of that is for school.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The way to deal with out an out of control school board, who wants millions to piss away is to have a referendum, and replace the entire school board.

That's what we did a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Should have left the kids at home. The Clerk didn't set the Tax rate, he's blaming the wrong individual.
View Quote

The clerk is a part of the system as much as anyone. She's to blame as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that area of PA, for a "million dollar home", you are going to be paying about 20K in taxes per year.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Unless that guy owns a 100+ million dollar home... $7000 a year in property taxes is offensively excessive!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I just wish that taxes were a bill we had to pay at the end of the year.  If people didn't have it automatically taken out of this paycheck every month, and had to write the governement a check....we wouldn't have some of the bullshit going on now...

Also...I want a donut now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The guy looks like one of the douche bag pick-up artists you see at clubs.
View Quote

This and the clerk made him look like an ass.  Once she offered to give him a cash receipt, without counting the money, he should have been on his way. This guy is a punk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]

I live in the Easton area.  I go to the same place to pay my property taxes.

He's actually at the wrong desk.  The lady that takes care of property taxes is down the right hand side of the hallway on the left.....

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

WTF !? He is trying to turn it into West Jersey by raising awareness of how ridiculously high the property taxes are!?

How the fuck does that make him what you describe? Seems to me like he's a guy who wants to REVERSE That trend of PA becoming West Jersey. WTF!?

I understand the animosity people have towards "outsiders" who want to change things... but typically people complain about people moving in trying to make things *MORE* expensive. This guy is fighting for the opposite.

That being said, he *SHOULD* have researched how much his property taxes would be. I did with my own home...

I pay only about $400/yr
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck it, kill em all
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No shit, I was just looking at EXACTLY that situation the other day in my RE search.  

Now if I could get a guarantee of being taxed on an assessed value of 168k, I could swing it.  I cannot justify paying 7k taxes on a 280k assessment.  

Sounds like he didn't think like me; the taxman isn't going to give up his $7k for much of any reason.  They've already spent it budget wise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought my home expecting to pay around $900 a year, based on previous years taxes before I bought it.

Turned out my local tax collectors actually automatically adjusted the assessment downward! Which meant I ended up only paying $400

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I just wish that taxes were a bill we had to pay at the end of the year.  If people didn't have it automatically taken out of this paycheck every month, and had to write the governement a check....we wouldn't have some of the bullshit going on now...

View Quote
I pay my property taxes like this every year.....

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#27]
The more I think about it, the more I think that in most places, annually the cost for a kid to go through K-12 is more than the cost to send them to college.

Those finger paintings better be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Paid a parking pass on campus with 400 Pennies one time

Bastards
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Have to wonder how many school board meetings this guy showed up at if he objects to paying school taxes
He chose to live wherever he does and most likely knew about what the tax burden would be for making that choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking taxes in general.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They don't have to accept it. Coinage act of 1965 stopped it.  The law says it is legal tender, but nowhere does it say the other party has to accept it. Same law that allows airlines not to accept cash for inflight sales, and allows convenience store to not accept $100 bills.
View Quote

If they accept cash from anyone in payment for the taxes they have to accept his.  He was there to make a point about paying school taxes when his kids are home schooled.  Sometimes extreme actions like his are necessary to draw attention to unfair government requirements.  The more people who video these happenings the more likely it will be seen by others.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's legal tender and must be accepted.  I wonder if this excuses him from having to pay?

No on both.
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

You pay property tax to the government of the region levying it, not a private business as is referenced in that FAQ.

I'm still curious why fines can't be paid in pennies. What is the limit; would nickels, quarters, $5 bills be OK? Is it the total number of bills/coins being exchanged at one time?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#33]
My home was appraised a couple years ago for only about $100K, yet my property taxes (most of which are school taxes) are close to $4K a year now. They were about $1200 when I had the house built 20 years ago. This is a very rural area I'm in too.

School taxes just keep climbing year after year. I'm afraid when I retire, even with no mortgage I may not be able to afford the taxes.

Then I see FSA people living rent/tax free shitting out babies for more government checks. Makes you wonder why people even try to work or buy a home these days.

My wife I are thinking about just selling and renting a house or trailer...its just getting to where its no longer worth it.

Something has to be done with these out of control school taxes. I think a sales tax would be more fair, rather than putting all the burden on the property owner.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Have to wonder how many school board meetings this guy showed up at if he objects to paying school taxes

He chose to live wherever he does and most likely knew about what the tax burden would be for making that choice.
View Quote
You can't run away from people wanting free shit anymore. My place is in a rural area with fairly low taxes. We (the entire community)  had a legal battle with the closest town literally miles away because they wanted to annex us and tax us more. We all have our own wells, sewage systems, and the Sheriff is all we need to catch the occasional dumbass stealing shit for meth money. Those groveling leeches can do something productive if they want a higher level of services.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
only problem i have with this....leave the kids at home and practice you're speech....don't look like a cheeseball reading off a paper with some hack floating around you with a camera
View Quote

Why? Teach by example. How else are we supposed to stress to children that life costs a lot of money, even when you aren't buying things?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#36]
asshole.  Point could have been made in 5 minutes.  The system is as complex as it is because society is complex.  Fucking loser, you want a society, then you will pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Some people have more free time than others I suppose.
View Quote

At some point in your life, there may be an issue that you hold dear, where you'll be wronged or you feel you'll be wronged, and you'll probably find the time to get 'satisfaction', so to speak.

I can only hope you'll post about it on arfcom so that some random poster can imply you are wasting your time on it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#38]
The guy is a fucking jackass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can't run away from people wanting free shit anymore. My place is in a rural area with fairly low taxes. We (the entire community)  had a legal battle with the closest town literally miles away because they wanted to annex us and tax us more. We all have our own wells, sewage systems, and the Sheriff is all we need to catch the occasional dumbass stealing shit for meth money. Those groveling leeches can do something productive if they want a higher level of services.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thread is about school taxes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

After annexation we would have had to fund the town schools.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#41]
7K?  Big ass house!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anytime a person says "I'm not trying to make your job difficult", he really is.  And as said above he's fucking over the wrong person.
View Quote

'Just following orders' is a bullshit excuse.
You either support the system, or you don't.  If you're cool being a tax collector, don't be surprised when we don't think you're blameless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Think it's bad for residential? Our business pays more in school tax then most houses are worth in that  area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You either support the system, or you don't.  If you're cool being a tax collector, don't be surprised when we don't think you're blameless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anytime a person says "I'm not trying to make your job difficult", he really is.  And as said above he's fucking over the wrong person.

that can also be applied to police

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Paid a parking pass on campus with 400 Pennies one time

Bastards
View Quote

Four dollars?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My home was appraised a couple years ago for only about $100K, yet my property taxes (most of which are school taxes) are close to $4K a year now. They were about $1200 when I had the house built 20 years ago. This is a very rural area I'm in too.

School taxes just keep climbing year after year. I'm afraid when I retire, even with no mortgage I may not be able to afford the taxes.

Then I see FSA people living rent/tax free shitting out babies for more government checks. Makes you wonder why people even try to work or buy a home these days.

My wife I are thinking about just selling and renting a house or trailer...its just getting to where its no longer worth it.

Something has to be done with these out of control school taxes. I think a sales tax would be more fair, rather than putting all the burden on the property owner.  
View Quote

We are getting closer to forcing HB/SB76 on the FSA. Just a few more Senators need to sign on and we can end the School boards power to tax and take homes.

When you have up to 10K seniors a year losing their homes because they can no longer pay their school taxes we have a big problem.  I'd much rather see parents foot the bill for their crotch fruit attending school, but, we know that is not going to happen. How FSA Parents can justify home owners being responsible for footing the bill is pathetic. If the "society is responsible for the education of our children" argument is going to be thrown in our faces, then, make everybody pay via increased sales tax (1% increase proposed), and a slightly higher state income tax. Fuck freeloading parents riding on the backs of property owners. And better yet, fuck school districts with the power to tax take homes. That ship has sailed and the current system can no longer fund schools. It is a sinking ship in most school districts. Time to fix it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
7K?  Big ass house!
View Quote

You live in Texas you should be used to the butt love that is property taxes.  Just like I am.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Guy at the local university here paid a parking ticket in pennies, at first they wouldn't accept it, he pushed it to the state Board of Regents who forced the university to accept it since it was legal tender.

If I recall he was studying at an engineering building and had his car legally parked, there was a basketball game that night and they ticketed all the cars that were in the lot at gametime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Guy at the local university here paid a parking ticket in pennies, at first they wouldn't accept it, he pushed it to the state Board of Regents who forced the university to accept it since it was legal tender.

If I recall he was studying at an engineering building and had his car legally parked, there was a basketball game that night and they ticketed all the cars that were in the lot at gametime.
View Quote

Fuck that noise.  No way in hell I would have paid that shit.  I would have saved those pennies and put them in a CD, and rolled it over forever.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top