Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2013 4:46:48 AM EDT
It worked like a charm in Lebanon in the '80s.  In fact, the New Jersey wiped out the Syrian command structure in Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They are all museums or razor blades now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think we should waste a RC Model airplane on those fuckers.  When I see two snakes fighting each other, I watch the outcome and kill the winner. America should apply the same principle in Syria
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
In this day and age, where the Pentagon is discussing shelving a Nimitz class to avoid paying for the mid-life refueling, reactivating an Iowa class is beyond absurd.

That said, this is ARFcom, where battleships rule all naval discussions. So I would be happy to kick in $100 to a fund dedicated to reactivating an Iowa class.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh...a sub with cruise missiles can bring just as much pain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The navy would have to dig pretty deep to find anyone who would know how to lock and load one of those.  
View Quote

Or to even find ammo it was all demiled years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Too many anti-ship missiles around today that weren't around in th 80s
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The navy would have to dig pretty deep to find anyone who would know how to lock and load one of those.  
View Quote

Steven Segal knows how.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The Iowa class are just so damn intimidating.... Would love to see them sail again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Allow me to round out this discussion of antiquated weapons of war that arfcom jizzes itself for with the following statement:

We should still use Skyraiders for CAS.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Allow me to round out this discussion of antiquated weapons of war that arfcom jizzes itself for with the following statement:

View Quote

And bring back the M-14
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And bring back the M-14
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And bring back the M-14

Gatling guns firing 45-70 rounds would be pretty bad ass as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The British had a very bad experience with Battle Ships off that coast.  Ask the crews of HMS Camperdown and HMS Victoria.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Those motherfuckers aren't even worthy of having the US dispatch an aluminum jon boat full of duck hunters off the coast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The British had a very bad experience with Battle Ships off that coast.  Ask the crews of HMS Camperdown and HMS Victoria.  
View Quote

That was off of Libya where the two battleships reenacted the Battle of Lepanto.  Opps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]
We have seen in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan that the US Military and some of our closest allies have the military might and courage to handle the game. As soon as you leave the outcome up to the U.N. or the politicians its a FUBAR. If were not going to get into the game with an attitude of total victory as was done in per say WW2 then why bother. We won in Iraq only to hastily leave and let it go south. Afghanistan is going the same way. I would not want Nobama to have my back in a bar fight much less more in a war. It needs to be given to the Generals with a time frame and the check book and leave it at that. Also the Syrian command structure was more chased inland than wiped out. But good point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember that, the religious factions that had been fighting for 2000 years all agreed to a cease fire as soon as they heard the USS New Jersey was in the Mediterranean Sea.

She fired 288 rounds of the big guns at Syrian positions in Lebanon and made a direct hit on the building of the commanding Syrian General and his top brass.

That finished them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#18]
In before Dport.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That was off of Libya where the two battleships reenacted the Battle of Lepanto.  Opps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tripoli is also a port in the North end of Lebanon, just South of the Syrian border.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Meh...a sub with cruise missiles can bring just as much pain.
View Quote

But not nearly as much fun or as intimidating.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In before Dport.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tripoli is also a port in the North end of Lebanon, just South of the Syrian border.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is also a Tripoli in Iowa

Coincidence?  I think not...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I don't think we should waste a RC Model airplane on those fuckers.  When I see two snakes fighting each other, I watch the outcome and kill the winner. America should apply the same principle in Syria
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It worked like a charm in Lebanon in the '80s.  In fact, the New Jersey wiped out the Syrian command structure in Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hdxgdi.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/fcte2g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/21cwiyu.jpg

View Quote

What is the difference between Beirut and Damascus?
Think hard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those motherfuckers aren't even worthy of having the US dispatch an aluminum jon boat full of duck hunters off the coast.
View Quote

I think the Duck Commander guys are already booked for a while; even if we did send them, we would have to dig deep to find some good 3.5inch 12 gauge loads.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Nobody knows how to work those ships anymore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am pretty sure the training manuals are still available to be reprinted
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We have seen in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan that the US Military and some of our closest allies have the military might and courage to handle the game. As soon as you leave the outcome up to the U.N. or the politicians its a FUBAR. If were not going to get into the game with an attitude of total victory as was done in per say WW2 then why bother. We won in Iraq only to hastily leave and let it go south. Afghanistan is going the same way. I would not want Nobama to have my back in a bar fight much less more in a war. It needs to be given to the Generals with a time frame and the check book and leave it at that. Also the Syrian command structure was more chased inland than wiped out. But good point.
View Quote

What is the objective in this war??? Do you really want to put hard-line Islamists in charge of that country?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And bring back the M-14
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And bring back the M-14

um, they have, and the 1911. Where have you been?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am one of those bring back the battleships guys. Is there any modern bomb delivery that can touch the bang for the buck (pun intended) of a 16" gun? Most cities are within the range of that things guns. Besides that fucking thing screams "AMERICA FUCK YEAH!"
View Quote

Do you know how expensive it would be to operate a battleship? To reactivate a battleship? To train a crew of 2000? Factor that into your calculations about bang for your buck, not just the cost of 16 inch shells vs. the cost of 2000 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#33]
don't take the NJ just yet....... I want to go to this

http://www.camdenwaterfront.com/events/beer-festival-battleship-nj

Enjoy beer tastings from 19 of NJ's craft brewers in the tented fantail area of the ship. Music, food, and tour the ship. We'll also offer a VIP ticket for a limited number of adults for private sampling of special beers and meet the brewers at 12:30 pm.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFMFT

This is the only way to handle these sand eating, mother fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think the Duck Commander guys are already booked for a while; even if we did send them, we would have to dig deep to find some good 3.5inch 12 gauge loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe DHS bought some Black Cloud with that last big purchase.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, plenty still do, they just dont move as fast as they used to.  And remember, we took Iowa farm boys and shoved them through a few weeks or a few months training and sent them to war.  Kids today are a bit smarter, and the knowledge base (and the salty dog ass kicking) is still out there.  

My father would jump at the chance.  It might kill him, but he would die a very fucking happy man, surrounded by gray paint, diesel fumes, bearing grease and knee knockers.  

Hell, I'd kill for a chance to man the Marine 5 inch mount, even if it meant the biggest shit job in the gun crew.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#37]

We need a nuclear powered battleship with rail guns that shoot rocket assisted GPS guided shells.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What is the objective in this war??? Do you really want to put hard-line Islamists in charge of that country?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just this morning I saw on the news that the  "Good Guys"  had taken a Christian town. And that is good how? Syria is 70% Muslim now, if we take out Assad and Islamists take over it won't go well for anyone who isn't the right flavor of Muslim let alone Christian.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Didn't we send a bunch of B2's over there?  With a payload of 80 Jdams each (or 16 nuclear bombs ), that should be more than enough to make Assad scared.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

They are all museums or razor blades now.
View Quote
NONE of them are razor blades.

Four Iowas BBs were built.  All four are museums.

Although highly unlikely,  the reactivation of the BBs is at least feasible.  It won't happen.  It would be expensive and time consuming

and in many cases, we'd have to make the tools needed to make the specialized tools needed to make parts and supplies for the BBs.

The only thing standing in favor of reactivation of the BBs, if we should ever decide that it has to happen, is that the entire fleet of

battleships is intact and in good condition.

But honestly,  their role has been superseded by modern weapons technology.

They are museums, on display for you to appreciate.  That is REALLY the best possible use for them at this point in time.

Be sure to vist any of them any time you're anywhere near one of them.  Pay for your ticket and help keep them maintained and open for public viewing.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The ammo isn't difficult to make.   Artillery shells are not high tech.
The 16" solid target practice rounds still exist.  Why demil a chunk of iron that weighs 2600 pounds and nobody has

a gun for anymore?  

No idea what they did with the stocks of HE rounds.   My guess is that there were still plenty in the inventory.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We should still use Spads for CAS.
View Quote

FIFY  

the mehican cartels bought all the old HE shells at a Texas gun show,,,,,

BTW: fuck being that guy on the cathead; if that boolit falls over, yer on shore leave forever,,,
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Id rather pay a Million a pop for precision guided missiles that hit their target ever time than a life time of medical and VA benie's for about 3000 men per Battleship.  Not to mention subs have a lot more hide and find me protection than an 80 year old ship with big guns.  Cruise missiles work, and work off a platforms that we actually need and currently use, not some ARFCOM jerk off fest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#44]
There is an awful lot of Syria that is not in range of those 16" guns, so you will probably be firing cruise missles anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And bring back the M1 Garand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And bring back the M1 Garand

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The 16" solid target practice rounds still exist.  Why demil a chunk of iron that weighs 2600 pounds and nobody has

a gun for anymore?  

No idea what they did with the stocks of HE rounds.   My guess is that there were still plenty in the inventory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a gun for anymore?  

I thought I read somewhere that they demilled all the powder bags as well.  Not like it's hard to make but fuck if I can get 8lbs of Varget much less what a 16" gun can shoot up

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#47]
If they want to resolve this quickly, simply use a drone and take him out. Then never set one single boot on the ground- just let the power vacuum work itself out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Think hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think hard.

About 55 miles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saw that recently.....the only high point of my taking my two Daughters to a One Direction concert (I waited around for the concert to get over.....didn't go in).    

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#50]
If we wanted Assad to be afraid of a US strike we would have done it already, like Reagan in Libya.

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

And bring back the M-14
View Quote

And M-113's with detachable glider wings towed into combat by A-10's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top