BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2002 7:02:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
In the PA deadly force laws, there's stuff about citizens using deadly force when assisting police officers.

I assume they can ask us to help. After all, the PA constitution talks about citizens bearing arms in defesnse of "themselves and the State"
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
But, they (the city) had better assume the liabilities, given the ability to demand.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They have something similar here in Orygun. It came to light several years ago when sheriff's deputies were trying to clear a road of some logging protesters. There were some other people there - I think they may have been woodcutters, or fishermen; but I don't really remember other than they were not there in support of the protesters.

The law apparently was written years ago (late 1800's? early 1900's?) as part of an anti-riot act and allowed police to summon the aid of bystanders.

In this particular case, the ones summoned refused; if memory serves me, because they didn't feel able physically and did not have training to help the officers.  Those who refused were cited and released. I saw later in the paper that the case against them was eventually dropped in a hail of public criticism.

I haven't ever followed up on this so I assume the law is still on the books, but I don't know that for a fact. Anyway, the deputies would have saved a lot of time and hassle if they had just used the logger's cat to clear the road.

NMSight
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My guess is every state has a similar law.

Jay
Top Top