BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2002 7:02:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
In the PA deadly force laws, there's stuff about citizens using deadly force when assisting police officers.

I assume they can ask us to help. After all, the PA constitution talks about citizens bearing arms in defesnse of "themselves and the State"
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
But, they (the city) had better assume the liabilities, given the ability to demand.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They have something similar here in Orygun. It came to light several years ago when sheriff's deputies were trying to clear a road of some logging protesters. There were some other people there - I think they may have been woodcutters, or fishermen; but I don't really remember other than they were not there in support of the protesters.

The law apparently was written years ago (late 1800's? early 1900's?) as part of an anti-riot act and allowed police to summon the aid of bystanders.

In this particular case, the ones summoned refused; if memory serves me, because they didn't feel able physically and did not have training to help the officers.  Those who refused were cited and released. I saw later in the paper that the case against them was eventually dropped in a hail of public criticism.

I haven't ever followed up on this so I assume the law is still on the books, but I don't know that for a fact. Anyway, the deputies would have saved a lot of time and hassle if they had just used the logger's cat to clear the road.

NMSight
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My guess is every state has a similar law.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top