Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the zoomies in the Gulf war kept a lot of us ground pounders alive with their non stop pounding of those little rat bastards.  As for me.  Jealous?  Hell yes.  But like my old man told me before I signed up, "Its an experience you'd pay a million bucks for, but not a dime to do again"  He was right.

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Actually although the AF did kill more Marines in the Gulf than the Iraqis did, I really don't blame them for that, blue on blue is a reality of war.  Mistakes happen and those were the result of mistakes.  What I cannot forgive is there current insistence of not breaking 10,000 AGL in order to prevent small arms, LADA damage to their aircrafts.  Sorry I can forgive mistakes, but not putting the aircrafts and crews safety about ground troops that they are there to support is just wrong.
View Quote

Last I heard, that was imposed from outside, just like 'no ground forces in Kosovo', and several other 'no blood, no matter what the cost' regulations...
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
All this shit makes me laugh.....  

I'm a gunner on HH60G Pavehawks doing Combat Search and Rescue.  We fly 25 to 50 feet off the ground and one of our biggest threats is RPG's and ground fire.  

I know my job, I know what I do, the dangers, and the perks.  So, if you guys want to bitch about how I live that's fine.... Really, I don't mind.  As long as you know that while you're sleeping in your muddy hole I'm curled up on my bed under some warm blankets with my head on a pillow.  

However, This spring when we're all over in Iraq and a call comes down that there's some Rangers in downtown Baghdad that need picked up guess what?  I'm going to get out of bed, slip on my boot, load up the mini-gun, and come get your asses.  

So, whatever........... talk all the shit you want.  I'll see ya in Baghdad... Suckers!

P.S. don't take this the wrong way.. it's all in good fun.  freakin' legs!

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last I heard, that was imposed from outside, just like 'no ground forces in Kosovo', and several other 'no blood, no matter what the cost' regulations...
View Quote

Nope, it was an AF reg.  Both Navy and Marine Air came way below the 10,000 AGL, and so did a few AF crews because they knew it was necessary to do.  The 10,000 AGL was put into effect to keep them above LADA, small arms and above the max ord of the TFs mortars.

What bother guys like me in the fire support community is the AF over concern with not crossing GTLs, or even getting close to them, when ground forces are shooting that is why we get paid to deconflict the fires.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
P.S.

I can offer no defense for the whiners (in any service)...

There's a certain segment of people who oddly enough make it into the services, then express this odd dumbfounded thought: 'Uh, you mean that I gotta go to war?'

I've met a few 'I'm in it for the free education' ROTC cadets and enlistees myself... I can just immagine the gripes these guys would develop sitting in a tent in Afganhistan. Not legitimate, but they'd do it...

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus, fellas.  Of course the air force is going to live better.  They've got to draw more technically proficient folks in order to make the rubble bounce around the legs.  Naturally they're going to get some more delicate personalities.  Some folks in the AF suck it up with the rest of the troopies, particularly the cops and the spec-ops guys.  Many of the other airman are basically in a corporate environment.  How else are you going to retain an E-5 who could be earning 60k on the outside?  The system seems to work pretty well.  Ask the Taliban,  the Yugos, the Iraqis, the Panamanians...

'Course, it can be a kind of a pussy atmosphere, which is why I went in the Army Guard instead of the Air Guard after my hitch.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Its not just the ground pounder that laugh at the Air Force. Back in my Navy days we used to say that the first people off of a sinking ship are the women, the children, and the air force! ;-)
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which do you mean? Those Army Aviators that picked up the USAF F-16 pilot in the Gulf War, or the Marine Corps Aviators that picked up the F-16 pilot in Bosnia?[:D]

Ross
View Quote

Yes the AF cant possiably have an SAR. Right?

All you can come up with? 2 rescues? Shit even a pig flys once in awhile!! For every 1 the marines and army do I bet the AF does 8 to 10.
View Quote

"All you can come up with?"  You sound like a third grader on the playground.  No, that's not all I can come up with, but I'll explain it so even an Air Force corporate associate can understand it:  A smiley at the end means it's a joke.  Some of us are just picking on the Air Force for the same reason we always pick on the Air force.  It's fun!

If you want to discuss numbers, you're going to have a pretty hard time beating all the saves that the Army has done on the battlefield under fire, and in the peacetime world under MAST (which the USAF also participates under).  You aren't going to beat those numbers by a long shot.

Relax before you hae a stroke!  You're taking it too personally, and people have figured out how to push your buttons and make you sqwak.  All the services are going to rag on each other, and you'll have to admit the Air Force is fair game just as well as the others.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 From the look of things, I would not be surprised to find out that RipMeyer and AeroE were two of the individuals responsible for the pictures
View Quote

Suck a Dick!!! Ya Kook!!

I have [b]NEVER DEFENDED[/b] the actions of the people that complained/took pictures. I have defended the AF in saying that they are not at all like the way you paint the entire AF. I have defended peoples right to bitch. But NEVER did defend the 2 guys who took the pictures.

Once again  [b]Suck a Dick!!! [/b]
View Quote

Come on Rip, you were doing better for a while there. Learn to support your position without resorting to insults. Besides, requesting homosexual acts doesn't bolster the USAFs case. Who was the other zoomie who wanted me to lick his nuts? Really doesn't help.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So you hate the Air Force. Where the fuck did you serve?  I happen to be one of the million guys in the Air Force that is not complaining.  I happen to have served in the desert, in the tropics and Korea.  I also spent the cold war years freezing my ass off on a northern tier base.

I have spent more time outdoors than a dozen Army pukes and is worse weather.  Nothing sickens me more than another low I.Q. grunt trying to prove his low I.Q. job is hard.  My dog lives outside just fine,,it cant fix a plane worth a crap though...........

Blow me Army puke,,,,,,,
View Quote

What is it with you zoomies requesting oral sex from other guys? Don't ask, don't tell!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top