Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2013 7:27:33 PM EDT
I really do. She's amazing at communication. She emails me almost every day, to chat about various life things. Sometimes it's insignificant stuff, along the lines of 'it was hot today'. Other times it's advice or updates on my siblings. I don't think she will ever know how much it means to me. I was very homesick when i first moved away. She and I used to spend so much time together, and then I moved over two hours away and was only able to visit once a month. But she's kept that gap closed with her regular letters of love, encouragement and fun.

I really got lucky with my mom. I think in my entire life I've heard her swear once. It was at me, and I deserved it I picked up a lot of things from her I didn't even realize until the skills were needed later in life. Life hasn't been easy for her, but she has always made sure her children felt loved.

I'm getting a little choked up over here.

For those of you who have a good mother, make sure you appreciate her. My mother is turning 57 next Friday, and I plan on making it a special day for her.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You can tell the measure of a person by how they treat their mother.

Funny how similar your mom and mine sound.  I guess those traits are universal in moms.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I really do. She's amazing at communication. She emails me almost every day, to chat about various life things. Sometimes it's insignificant stuff, along the lines of 'it was hot today'. Other times it's advice or updates on my siblings. I don't think she will ever know how much it means to me. I was very homesick when i first moved away. She and I used to spend so much time together, and then I moved over two hours away and was only able to visit once a month. But she's kept that gap closed with her regular letters of love, encouragement and fun.

I really got lucky with my mom. I think in my entire life I've heard her swear once. It was at me, and I deserved it I picked up a lot of things from her I didn't even realize until the skills were needed later in life. Life hasn't been easy for her, but she has always made sure her children felt loved.

For those of you who have a good mother, make sure you appreciate her. My mother is turning 57 next Friday, and I plan on making it a special day for her.
View Quote

You are very lucky.

My own mother abandoned me when I was 9.

Good thing I had a solid dad.(RIP pops)
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you picked a winner!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are very lucky.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are very lucky.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
How old is you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My mom is a real POS, I wish everyday I had a mother like that. You're a lucky gal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How old is you?
View Quote

I'm 25.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My mom passed 10 years ago in February....   I was dealing with that ok until my little one was born 2 years ago.   I would give just about anything to see the two of them together.  I especially wish I could have seen the look I know mom would have had when I brought Ms. Priss out of the delivery room.  

XCR - enjoy your time with her!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a girl thing.  I have a great mom too but we talk maybe every week or two.  Not her fault, I just don't need to chat everyday.  My sisters on the other hand, EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope you tell her how you feel as often as possible. My mom and I used to have marathon chat sessions when I visited from college. I miss those the most.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
After seeing how bad some people had it growing up, as far as family, I feel really lucky with my parents and family in general.  We're all pretty close, and when I hear about people who don't even speak to certain members of their immediate family, it boggles my mind.  I understand it, given some circumstances.  But I can't really put myself in their shoes.  Not being close, at least with immediate family, would be too out of the norm for me.

I used to live a 12-hour's drive away from my parents and sister.  2 years.  I wouldn't call my parents every day, but when I worked night shift (couple times a week) and was driving home at 6AM, I knew that my parents were sitting at the table, reading the paper, drinking coffee, every morning, so I would call and talk to them on my 40 minute drive home.  It was nice.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hope you tell her how you feel as often as possible. My mom and I used to have marathon chat sessions when I visited from college. I miss those the most.
View Quote

I try to. Mom's love language is service. She likes doing things for us. So usually 'i love you' outright is a little awkward for us.

For her birthday, I'm baking her an epic carrot cake (her favorite), cooking her dinner, and i have a really pretty photo of the two of us framed to give her.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know you know thus but you are lucky to have her. I also think she is lucky to have you. *HUGS* to you both!!!  What are the big plans for next Friday?  -nvm I should have read the entire page before posting lol-
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome update XCR.

I love my mother very much as well. She was a great mother and taught me many of the skills I use on a daily basis. I cook, I clean, I do laundry and iron and fold (although I frequently skip the last two parts!) and take care of my household. My dad taught me to be handy with tools and not to be afraid to take things apart and try to fix them. They're both still alive and still together. They're getting past their mid 60s and I'm deathly afraid of the day when they pass on. I hope it won't be for at least a couple more decades.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]
XCR, that is so awesome.  My Mom passed away when I was 33 and she was 60. I miss her so much everyday, but like you, as I've aged many things she said to me, or sayings have "come to me" and only made me appreciate her even more. Its a great post,  and needs repeating......anyone that still has their Mom, cherish them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I try to. Mom's love language is service. She likes doing things for us. So usually 'i love you' outright is a little awkward for us.

For her birthday, I'm baking her an epic carrot cake (her favorite), cooking her dinner, and i have a really pretty photo of the two of us framed to give her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy birthday to mom

Can we get the carrot cake recipe too?

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice tribute.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This post really makes me feel good.  My mother has been dead for almost 5 years now.  I miss her so.

Just tell you mother that you love her.  And please tell from me that she has a good daughter
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Happy birthday to mom

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy birthday to mom

Let's see if this link will work

Mom loves carrot cake with pineapple, raisins and walnuts, so i just make sure to add the raisins. If you want raisins, soak them in hot water while you're making the cake. Then add to the batter. You want them plumped up a little so they aren't dry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
My mom just turned 60 on the 24th, I made her a cake too. It came out of a box, but still .
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My mom just turned 60 on the 24th, I made her a cake too. It came out of a box, but still .
View Quote

It's the thought that counts
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
W0O2!  Link works for me. Thanks XCR!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
W0O2!  Link works for me. Thanks XCR!
View Quote

Don't come crying to me after gaining three pounds. It's goooooood.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Ever tried soaking the raisins in gin?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my mom!  I was lucky enough to get adopted by one of the best moms in the world...........Even if she cant cook a damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Whew...you scared me Terra. When I saw the thread title I thought I missed Mothers Day again.

It's a blessing to have a good mother. She's lucky to have a daughter that appreciates her. A lot of sons and daughters don't.

I love my mom very much too. Put up with my ass. I have admire her for that. lol! Always was kind of jealous of a couple of my friends that had moms that were cool enough they wanted to have frequent contact with.

My moms great and all but if I had daily contact, I'd have the muzzle of my XCR in my mouth. She's kind of a less extreme version of the mom on "Everybody Loves Raymond".
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I told my mom and dad how much I love them last night at their 50th wedding Anniversary party..
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
My mom lives about 5000 miles away.  I see her once or twice a year.  I do call her every Saturday, and chat with her.  She is getting a bit forgetful, so a 15 minute conversation is usually the same five minute one three times over.   By the end of the call, she thinks it is great that I can always guess where she went for lunch the other day.  

My Mom has always been awesome.   I will miss her a lot one day.   The florist in her village and I are on a first name basis.   :)
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I love me mom too.

Haven't spoken in a couple months.  That's just how we does it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
uh hellooooo...

Pics
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the best thread on arfcom tonight I'm gonna celebrate with more wine! I have a great mom too, she always tries to reach out even when I get super busy with life.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was gonna soak em in rum
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm 25.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old is you?

I'm 25.

[jest]
Hey there, good-lookin'
[/jest]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Funny how similar your mom and mine sound.  I guess those traits are universal in moms.
View Quote

Not really.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm already beer soaked.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#36]
My mother is an alcoholic that ruined my parents marriage and caused a great deal of trauma during my adolescent years.

With that said, I love her and even though we live more than 2000 miles away, I call her every day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My mom is a real POS, I wish everyday I had a mother like that. You're a lucky gal.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Me too.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make doubly sure  your Arfcom-related drawings aren't anywhere near when you're wrapping up her prezzie. Don't want one to get mixed in and give poor mom a heart attack.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2    Nothing like having your pilled out mother leave you a voice mail every few weeks screaming about how everyone's out to get her and how horrible of a kid you are for not being on here side. You're extremely lucky OP, treasure it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#42]
She emails me almost every day
View Quote

Probably the best thing the WWW and Internet have done is to get people writing to each other.

You are fortunate to still have your mom; I lost mine about 12 years ago. Let her know you love her.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. I don't usually keep gin around. What kind of gin?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the kind of gin that's made out of gin, but I could be wrong here
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm already beer soaked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm already beer soaked.

It's times like this where your avatar is perfect
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hendricks! or Plymouth!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Threads like this make me miss my mom all the more. She passed in 07.  Dad passed in 05.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like you have a great mother.

Can she draw as well as you can?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have a great mother.

Can she draw as well as you can?
View Quote

She has artistic ability, but never really spent much time on it. She has a lovely voice, though, and plays the piano.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Good post XCR!

We need to take advantage of the time we have with our parents.... my Mother passed a few yrs ago,  try to go see Dad whenever possible
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top