Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 10:00:44 PM EDT
Started a thread a couple days ago about trading in my Mustang for a Focus or something fuel efficient for a daily driver and got many conflicting opinions.

Going to try going about it a different way, I'll try to get all the details in my original post.

Bought a Mustang on impulse in January and I love the car. Has a few mods that were already done to it. 4.10's, CAI, engine tune, Borla exhaust, headers, short shifter, basically the Drag Pack Kit and exhaust

Daily commute is 65 miles round trip and I get between 18 and 20mpg combined economy, costing me around $350 to $400 a month in gas.

Mustang is not paid for, monthly payment is $350

I also have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee that is worth around $1500

I'm trying to decide if I should sell the Jeep and trade the Mustang in for a simple NEW 2013 model of a fuel efficient car, Focus, Fiesta, Civic, etc... or if I should ditch the Jeep, keep the Mustang and get a "beater" fuel saver for cheap but not so cheap that it's a maintenance hog that negates the fuel savings. I just hate the idea of driving a cheap gas saver 90% of the time while making payments on a Mustang that sits most of the time. Whatever decision I make I will have to force myself to keep it for a long time for it to save me anything in the long run.

Sorry for basically posting the same thread but I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in the other one that I got conflicting advice anyway if you will indulge me one more time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Random Thoughts...

Think about it this way. I assume you like the Mustang.

So say you sold it,  and bought something that gets twice the gas mileage [ok not likely,but bear with me]....

So now you are driving a piece of underpowered Crap, and you still spend $200 a month for gas instead of $400...

In truth, it would be very hard to get a vehicle with even 50% better gas milage, so say your gas bill went to $300 a month...

I have done the math. Unless you drive a LOT EVERY DAY, having a second car that gets even 100% more gas mileage, by the time you make the payment, AND the ADDITIONAL insurance payment, it is not usually worth the trouble...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm driving my Wrangler (14mpg) daily around 60 miles.   FBHO and his save bambi policies.   I'll think about using a low mileage car when he's out.   Burn baby, burn....  

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell the Mustang and buy a new V6 Mustang. You get a fun to drive car with over 300 HP
and 30 MPG on the highway.I just bought a new Honda Fit and kept my truck. The Fit is still new with less than 500 miles on it and I'am getting 34 MPG
combined city highway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My truck gets 15mpg, my daily drive is about 85 miles.

If i bought a prius and got 50mpg, that would more that triple my gas miliage.

I figure I would say atleast $225 per month..  maybe alot more.

Thats real money and i cant afford to ignore it any longer.

Yould buy a case of ammo each moth with all that extra cash.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell the heep, and buy a 01/02 TDI VW for around 5k....    50 MPG pays for itself quickly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If its possible move closer to work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Random Thoughts...

Think about it this way. I assume you like the Mustang.

So say you sold it,  and bought something that gets twice the gas mileage [ok not likely,but bear with me]....

So now you are driving a piece of underpowered Crap, and you still spend $200 a month for gas instead of $400...

In truth, it would be very hard to get a vehicle with even 50% better gas milage, so say your gas bill went to $300 a month...

I have done the math. Unless you drive a LOT EVERY DAY, having a second car that gets even 100% more gas mileage, by the time you make the payment, AND the ADDITIONAL insurance payment, it is not usually worth the trouble...
View Quote

Good points. I would rather keep the Mustang for sure and the Jeep. The finance manager that comes into the shop all the time suggested getting a little cheap older Honda or something for a year to keep paying down on the Mustang and try to sell it outright, then get a nicer car if I still wanted to. Definitely doesn't seem like enough savings to be worth getting a new car right now, I guess constantly filling up stresses me out.....getting a little heavy on the skinny pedal makes me feel better, vicious cycle isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jesus man, you seem to go through a lot of cars. No offense.

View Quote

You have no idea, this Jeep is the 5th Cherokee I have owned, I have plans for it if I keep it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If its possible move closer to work.
View Quote

This is the plan as soon as possible. Probably not going to be able to until Spring but that is when I plan on looking hard for a house just a couple miles away from work, that may be the solution right there.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sell the heep, and buy a 01/02 TDI VW for around 5k....    50 MPG pays for itself quickly.
View Quote

This would be a good choice.

You really aren't going to save much buying another new car.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AND you Retain your fun car / play toy / date car.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the '01 Jetta TDI.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
CX5 Mazda Skyactive... or wait for the Diesel version.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I drove a Chevy Cruze diesel yesterday and came away VERY impressed. It is very european in it's feel. It's solid and has quality materiels inside and out. If someone put you in it blindfolded you would wear you were in a german car that cost a lot more. The one we looked at was fully loaded with every option and it stickered at $27,500

My wife and I have had a deisel cars since 2004. It is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a diesel Vw, it would start in the summer, winter forget about it unless you had it plugged in, and once running and too work, plugged in again. Trying to get some warmth inside, forget about that too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Sell mustang, and buy a used fuel efficient car, maybe a 2011 or 2010 with low miles, the reason I say used is because those cheap little cars don't hold value worth a crap. Beyond that I used to own a focus and it was worthless even with good tires every time it snowed so at least this way you could use the Cherokee unless you plan to call in sick every time it snows.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Started a thread a couple days ago about trading in my Mustang for a Focus or something fuel efficient for a daily driver and got many conflicting opinions.

Going to try going about it a different way, I'll try to get all the details in my original post.

Bought a Mustang on impulse in January and I love the car. Has a few mods that were already done to it. 4.10's, CAI, engine tune, Borla exhaust, headers, short shifter, basically the Drag Pack Kit and exhaust

Daily commute is 65 miles round trip and I get between 18 and 20mpg combined economy, costing me around $350 to $400 a month in gas.

Mustang is not paid for, monthly payment is $350

I also have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee that is worth around $1500

I'm trying to decide if I should sell the Jeep and trade the Mustang in for a simple NEW 2013 model of a fuel efficient car, Focus, Fiesta, Civic, etc... or if I should ditch the Jeep, keep the Mustang and get a "beater" fuel saver for cheap but not so cheap that it's a maintenance hog that negates the fuel savings. I just hate the idea of driving a cheap gas saver 90% of the time while making payments on a Mustang that sits most of the time. Whatever decision I make I will have to force myself to keep it for a long time for it to save me anything in the long run.

Sorry for basically posting the same thread but I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in the other one that I got conflicting advice anyway if you will indulge me one more time.
View Quote

Drop the mustang, get a decent new fuel efficient car (albeit one that is pleasurable to drive).

The end.  You don't want to drive a cheap economy shitbox (unless you are willing to up the amount to around ~7-8k to get a not so old corolla/civic) even if you can keep the mustang, you will hate your commute even more.  Perhaps down the line you can get another performance vehicle, but now is not the time.

You could also sell the jeep and use that to get a less expensive used car that is more efficient than the mustang (while keeping it), if you were so inclined.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:49:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I ditched my Mustang and bought a Scion Xb (stick) YEARS ago - the car payment was covered by what I saved in gas. While it lacks torque, I do enjoy winding it out and still getting 30+mpg.
You could buy a project car to build to replace the 'Stang and still save money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
2014 Mazda 6. Very good gas mileage and still a fun car.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Bicycle
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a new 2012 Mazda 3 this year with the 2.0l skyactiv.  Its not a bad ride.  I average 33mpg and have gotten 41 on the highway.  It's comfortable, has a little pep and the bose stereo is nice. Handles and rides kinda sporty also.  I like filling it up for $42 every 2 weeks. I got the top model with all the goodies for 18k. I bought it in feburary as a new left over model.  New base models with steel wheels were more.  

My advice would be wait till the end of the year and get a new left over with some rebates.  You can get alot more car for your money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top