Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 6:03:57 AM EDT
I was thinking about enlisting in the MIL and whats holding me back is that my eye sight has gotten bad from years of staring into computer screens on and off work. Would I be better off going for an eye correction surgery (LASIK, PRK(sp) ) before enlisting and getting a waiver or joining and getting the correction then? I'm hoping someone has had some personal dealings with it that could answer, and thank you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm active duty Navy, so I can't speak for other branches, but as long as your vision is correctable with glasses, no waiver is needed.  You'll get an awesome pair of BCG's in boot camp and can wear contacts once you're out of boot.  I just got Lasik surgery, paid for with the Navy's dime- I went from worse than 20/400 to 20/15 and am extremely satisfied.  There is a program that provides the surgery to those who qualify, obviously officers, pilots and such have priority, but as long as you have a year remaining in your contract at the time of surgery you can apply.  I don't know if other branches have a similar program.

Color blindness or uncorrectable vision issues may limit your rate (job) choices.  I say enlist and let the .mil pick up the tab.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I was army same story here.   Got prk Thanks to the service.   I would  definitely say wait.   They might limit or stop with sequester but I doubt it they already have the docs and equipment it doesn't cost the. Gov much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top