Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:36:07 PM EDT
buddy went sea fishing and brought me a big slab of halibut. never cooked this fish before. need some cooking advise. what say the hive?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]

I highly recommend cooking it in parchment paper.  It keeps it nice and moist.  I use different toppings, but this looks like a great recipe I found on Youtube.  Bon apetit!

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

buddy went sea fishing and brought me a big slab of halibut. never cooked this fish before. need some cooking advise. what say the hive?
View Quote

Halibut lends itself to damn near any good fish recipe from 'beer battered & deep fried' for fish and chips - to broiled in butter, citrus, and white wine - to poached with fish cream sauce. It's great grilled on alder wood and charcoal too.

Just use solid technique in whatever method you choose....it's too great a fish to fuck it up by using bad methodology.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for working up an appetite at work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Blandest, most nearly tasteless fish I've ever had in my life.

I don't desire it again.

By comparison,  catfish, mullet, whiting, cod...any of those...I'm more than happy to eat them fried

without any seasonings whatsoever except for a pinch of salt.

They have lots of flavor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't desire it again.

By comparison,  catfish, mullet, whiting, cod...any of those...I'm more than happy to eat them fried

View Quote

^This guy is insane^

Marinade it in a dry white wine, rosemary and lemon juice/zest then bake it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
best fish in the world , portion and flash freeze as best you can ,and experiment i would try a scampi  baking dish thing with butter fresh garlic and dry wine ftw
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrap it in foil with some butter and lemon pepper and throw it on the grill.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate fish but loved the Halibut my nephew brought back from Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Pick any good fish recipe and it will be great.

How is your fish cut?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't desire it again.

View Quote

hey, a man gave me a fish. i'm gonna eat for a day. i'm typically a salmon or trout guy, but hey diner will be fish tomorrow night.it's all good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Beer batter deep fried chunks
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't desire it again.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Panko deep fried is my favorite way, seems to be a favorite in Alaska too. I recently did some like that with Halibut I caught in Alaska last month and it was delicious.  My second favorite way is to grill it with some olive oil and herbs. Be careful to not overcook it since it's not a fatty fish.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a deep fried halibut restaurant in Anchorage that I've never been to, even though I grew up around it.  It doesn't have a bad rep, my family & friends just never went:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure how this will work with Halibut, but you can give it a try... it's easy, and cleanup is silly simple!

this recipe works great with steal head and the likes

Get a 8x12 ish flat baking tray deal (small cookie sheet?)
Cover in aluminum foil
Put fish skin side down in tray
Get some peper and go over  the whole top! I like a lot, you can use less if you are a wimp.
Now preheat your oven to 350deg.
While that is warming up, take an entire stick of butter, and melt it in the microwave in a dish. While it's still hot, pour two tablespoons of molasses into the hot butter. Stir till blended as best you can.
now take that buttery molassesy concoction and pour it all over the fish! Coat the entire top! It will pool around the fish as it runs off if you didn't puss out, and not use a whole stick of butter.

Pop that tray in the oven and let cook for 15 minutes.

As soon as the buzzer beeps, grab some brown sugar, open the over and sprinkle the suger over the fish. You can also take a spoon  and reapply some butter from your butter pool at this time.

Close oven, and switch to broil for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar starts to slightly bubble on fish. IF IT STARTS SMOKING OR TURNS BLACK, TURN IT OFF DUH!

now take your fish out, and let sit for a couple minutes.

To serve, take a butter knife, and run it between the skin, and fish. the fish will separate from the skin, as the skin is now firmly stuck to the tinfoil

Eat your damn fish......

And the best part!!!!!

Cleanup!    Take foil off tray, and throw in trash, wipe off tray, done!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I highly recommend cooking it in parchment paper.  It keeps it nice and moist.  I use different toppings, but this looks like a great recipe I found on Youtube.  Bon apetit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTuUf-MO_T0
View Quote

That looks fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure how this will work with Halibut, but you can give it a try... it's easy, and cleanup is silly simple!

this recipe works great with steal head and the likes

Get a 8x12 ish flat baking tray deal (small cookie sheet?)
Cover in aluminum foil
Put fish skin side down in tray
Get some peper and go over  the whole top! I like a lot, you can use less if you are a wimp.
Now preheat your oven to 350deg.
While that is warming up, take an entire stick of butter, and melt it in the microwave in a dish. While it's still hot, pour two tablespoons of molasses into the hot butter. Stir till blended as best you can.
now take that buttery molassesy concoction and pour it all over the fish! Coat the entire top! It will pool around the fish as it runs off if you didn't puss out, and not use a whole stick of butter.

Pop that tray in the oven and let cook for 15 minutes.

As soon as the buzzer beeps, grab some brown sugar, open the over and sprinkle the suger over the fish. You can also take a spoon  and reapply some butter from your butter pool at this time.

Close oven, and switch to broil for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar starts to slightly bubble on fish. IF IT STARTS SMOKING OR TURNS BLACK, TURN IT OFF DUH!

now take your fish out, and let sit for a couple minutes.

To serve, take a butter knife, and run it between the skin, and fish. the fish will separate from the skin, as the skin is now firmly stuck to the tinfoil

Eat your damn fish......

And the best part!!!!!

Cleanup!    Take foil off tray, and throw in trash, wipe off tray, done!
View Quote

damn that sounds good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Pan seared with nice dry rub is the only way to do halibut IMO. If you want to deep fry or poach in butter........well go with cod, tilapia or something cheaper. Halibut is too damn expensive around here, probably not the case for you guys in the NW or west coast. I also think halibut is greatly overrated, but that's a whole different story.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Halibut Olympia. I will PM the recipe to you tomorrow. Im drinking and playing tanks right now. You will thank me later.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top