Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 3:49:58 PM EDT
I read this article on CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/id/100911322

"I think you're going to see a real issue of neighbor against neighbor on these very issues."
View Quote

"In Detroit's case, it was in near-third world operating conditions in the richest country in the world," she said. "Finally, the city said enough's enough."
View Quote

What do you think? Coming to a city near you?

ETA: I think because of her position she didn't want to imply anything regarding social breakdown and she meant it more figuratively speaking, but I think there might be some rough times ahead when more and more cities follow suit to Detroit
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That was one reporter giving his take on what another reporter said (substitute talking head, if you choose).

Little substance to the article and no real point to the article either.

What does the article mean with 'neighbor vs. neighbor'?  Could be anything.  It's slackass writing hoping someone finds a controversial way to interpret it thus doing the reporter's real job for him (raising ratings).  His true job should be to dig out a story and present it.  

This is not an example of a reporter doing his true job but just fishing for whatever bites.

ETA: We might see some more municipal bankruptcies but Detroit is definitely a special case.  The city had one main industry that has dwindled and had a rash of poor governance afterwards.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was one reporter giving his take on what another reporter said (substitute talking head, if you choose).

Little substance to the article and no real point to the article either.

What does the article mean with 'neighbor vs. neighbor'?  Could be anything. It's slackass writing hoping someone finds a controversial way to interpret it thus doing the reporter's real job for him (raising ratings).  His true job should be to dig out a story and present it.  

This is not an example of a reporter doing his true job but just fishing for whatever bites.

View Quote

Yes, def. I ETA offered my extended opinion. It just got me thinking, there's always room for a good social breakdown discussion on here
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Reporters/talking heads/TV personalities would have us believe that their purpose in life is to tell the truth, regardless of how that truth is received.

In reality, a reporter's role is to fill 22 minutes of otherwise dead air broken up between the really important parts of the broadcast: advertisements for motor oil, beer and feminine hygiene products.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, def. I ETA offered my extended opinion. It just got me thinking, there's always room for a good social breakdown discussion on here
View Quote

Gotcha.  I took it to mean "city vs. city vying for business and jobs" but it could mean fights over property lines, gang territory wars, civil suits over easements or neighbors complaining about others not cutting their grass or not cleaning up their dog's poop.

ETA:  this is why I consider this article to be just trolling by use of some turns of phrase that the writer is hoping someone will latch onto.

It's not reporting, it's just glorified countrywide trolling.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Reporters/talking heads/TV personalities would have us believe that their purpose in life is to tell the truth, regardless of how that truth is received.

In reality, a reporter's role is to fill 22 minutes of otherwise dead air broken up between the really important parts of the broadcast: advertisements for motor oil, beer and feminine hygiene products.
View Quote

I am a huge fan of all of these, tell me more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top