Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 10:37:05 AM EDT
get yer minds outta the gutter boys (and girls)

Thinking of getting a new mattress, what is the best priced/comfort mattress out there.

Am I wrong to assume sealy posturepedic???

Hopefully one of you guys are a mattress salesman.  I would ask for a mattress expert, but then I'd open myself up for smartass responses[:d]

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The best mattress by far that we have found (and my wife is *very* picky about mattreses) is the Temperpedic mattresses. The one witht he nasa space foam.  We bout 22 of them for the various bedrooms and guest rooms for our houses.

Once you go temperpedic, you will never go back!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy any with stains.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sorry, if you say matress to Mr. Lambert, he puts a bag over his head.  Nothing he can help you understand.  Other than that, he's really all right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw a cartoon once:
Some nerdy little guy in a jail cell with Charles Manson.  He's looking at Manson saying: "I tore the little tag off the matteress. What did you do?"
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Tempurpedic

Bought a CA King for $2080 out the door, delivered and set up and old mattress disposal.  Also two tempurpedic pillows in the deal.  Wife and I both found it superior.  You hardly notice when one person gets in bed or out.  However the cats like it better too.  Takes a crowbar to move them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The best mattress by far that we have found (and my wife is *very* picky about mattreses) is the Temperpedic mattresses. The one witht he nasa space foam.  We bout 22 of them for the various bedrooms and guest rooms for our houses.

View Quote

Sorry, I didn't quite hear you.  How much did you say you spent on mattresses, for how many bedrooms, for how many houses?  

[;D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
We bought a European Sleepworks bed and it has been a life changer.  My back was so bad I could barely get out of bed many days.  Hasn't happened once in the almost two years we've had the bed.  Best money we've ever spent.  Has adjustable slats, high quality foam,and over 2000 coils.  Not sure if they are available back east though. [url]www.sleepworks.com[/url]

One of my friends is a chiropracter and says all he reccommends are the European Sleepworks and the Temperpedics.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
History-
I worked Undercover in a Mattress Warehouse for The Bon Marche up here in Washington. My "job" was to throw around mattresses in the warehouse and get them ready for delivery/will call, etc. I learned a GREAT DEAL about them working there.

My take-
If you want to but a WELL MANUFACTURED and WELL RESEARCHED mattress, go with a Serta.

I wouldn't bother with Sealy right now, the past year they have been having a recall for manufacturing defects in the springs.

If you want a LIGHT mattress that is EXTREMELY soft go with Spring Air, they are mostly foam inside.

I have a Serta in my house (and I was able to choose whatever I like, due to my position), and won't ever go abck to anything else.

But the choice is yours. My suggestion is to go the the mattress store, take off your shoes, and start jumping on every mattress you see there. (I'm not kidding, it's a very common thing to do at a mattress store.) That way, you can see which one feels best to your feet/how much weight it'll hold/how firm it is/various other things.

But make sure that you get a Money-Back guarantee, that if you don't like it for any reason, you can take it back. I wouldn't throw down 2k and not be able to bring the product back.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
i've been sleeping on the same mattress for 12 years, i'm 25

yee haw
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
hielo, aren't they hot, I mean laying on that foam it has to has to act like insulation and pour your body heat back to you or does it not do that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
hielo, aren't they hot, I mean laying on that foam it has to has to act like insulation and pour your body heat back to you or does it not do that?
View Quote

Not at all, it wicks your sweat away, and stays cool throughout the night.  Have never had a guest not absolutely rave about them.

As to how much total we spent, I have no idea, my wife would, if itis important to you I can ask her when she gets back.

Just let me know.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a CA King for $2080 out the door, delivered and set up and old mattress disposal.
View Quote

Over two thousand for a mattress?  How much disposable income would one have to have to have to consider spending enough to buy a car for a mattress?z
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched a undercover deal about no name mattresses/remanufactured. They were passing them off as new. But when they cut`em open their was blood and urin stains on them.

[b]NEVER NEVER buy a used/remanufactured/noname mattress[/b]

My .02
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bought a CA King for $2080 out the door, delivered and set up and old mattress disposal.
View Quote

Over two thousand for a mattress?  How much disposable income would one have to have to have to consider spending enough to buy a car for a mattress?z
View Quote

If you are lucky, you spend 8 hours a day on that mattress, buy the absolute best you can, skimp on your wheels, but splurge on the mattress, your whole body will thank you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
[/quote]hielo, aren't they hot, I mean laying on that foam it has to has to act like insulation and pour your body heat back to you or does it not do that?[/quote]

Not at all, it wicks your sweat away, and stays cool throughout the night.  Have never had a guest not absolutely rave about them.

As to how much total we spent, I have no idea, my wife would, if itis important to you I can ask her when she gets back.

Just let me know.[/quote]/////Thanks for a reply, no I have there lit. I was just wondering about that heat question, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Temperpedic mattresses. The one witht he nasa space foam.  We bout 22 of them for the various bedrooms and guest rooms for our houses.
View Quote

22? that is allot of guest rooms.

That comes out to about $45,000.00 in mattresses. I think I'm a little jealous of your guests.

You must own a hotel or something.

I must say , that [b] is [/b] impressive. A goal I hope to achieve as well someday.

Bravo sir.
--LS
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Restonic Sophisticate 2 pillow top if you like soft beds.   If you like motel beds Serta is what you need.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Between the matress and frame we spent about 4k.  Worth every freakin penny not to wake up with back pain every morning.  If it cost double I would have found a way to pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Go to the top sales manager first,he can usually give you a better price....or play one store (samenamestore) against another for the best price,like buying a auto or the like.I went directly to the wharehouse PR/CR person and got more than 50% off the store "delivered" price.[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#22]
It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to "comparison shop" for matressess.  Every retailer has their own particular "name" for the Sertas, Sealys, & the other matresses that they offer.  The matresses have different coverings from one retailer to the next, too.

I drove myself nuts trying to compare prices the last time I shopped for a mattress.  I just found one that I liked that was on sale, & I bought it.  It was a Sealy of some sort, with "edge guards" & "corner guards".  It was $500 for both pieces (full) & I'm happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top