Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2002 2:27:09 AM EDT
Well I have been looking at something to replace my Bushnell Compact 800 range finder I had stolen.  My first thought was to get the same unit but I decided to look around a bit first.  

I discovered the Leica LRF 1200 and liked a lot of its features and glass but its not truly waterproof and I decided I wanted to move up to a water proof unit.  

Bushnell has a Yardage Pro Legend thats waterproof and floats but I really wanted to get something good enough in optical quality to get rid of my old binocs so I could have just one unit for viewing/rangefinding.  

I checked out the Cannon Image Stabilizing binoculars and they allow a lot more power with a still image and I loved that but no laser range finder.  

Bushnell just came out with a binocular/LRF combo but its not image stabilized.  I also saw some zoom models which I liked because they could be backed off in magnification for use in lower light at dusk (larger exit pupil).

Problem is noone makes what I want.  What I want is...  A pair of roof prism binoculars 6-12 variable power with 35-42mm objestive, image stabilizing, built in laser range finder good to at least 800 yards, water proof, shock proof, quality fully multi coated lenses, that is powered off AA batteries and weighs less than 2 lbs.  Now is that too much to ask?  Of yeah it should cost less than $1000 too. [;)]  

Does this creature exist or am I just gonna have to wait till hell freezes over?

The last time I said I wanted a combo mapping GPS/FRS radio that was waterproof, had voice scrambling and ran off AA batteries Garin made it for me.  So why not make this optic too [:P]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
These guys may have what you need, but I know nothing about their products and can't seem to find any reviews. I would really like to know how they compare to the LRF 1200.

Newcon Optik
[url]www.newcon-optik.com[/url]

Bino/rangefinder
[url]www.newcon-optik.com/lrb7x50.html[/url]

1500 yard rangefinder
[url]www.newcon-optik.com/lrm1500.html[/url]

Here's a bino/rangefinder for sale.
[url]nationalsportscenter.safeshopper.com/28/306.htm?435[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Closest I have experience with is Leica's 7x42 BD Geovid.  They're fixed power and not image stabilized.  They are however list priced at $2600.  Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top