Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 3:06:09 PM EDT
I'm trying to set up a webstore with an ASP based cart.  It came with an Access database and the script to create an SQL database. I've got it running with the Access database now but was told I should change to the SQL type because it will make the store run smoother and the database will load more quickly.  As you can see from the post below I'm having difficulty setting up an SQL database.  Initially I'll have about 5,000 items in the store and around 100 catagories. Since it's goign to be a new site I'm sure it will be low to medium traffic at the most.  What I'm trying to find out is how much difference I'll notice in speed using the Access database versus the SQL one? I don't want the site to run so slow that customers get impatient and go else where.  If the Access will work ok for me now then maybe I can start with it, learn the SQL and change to it in the future.
John
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Access was never intended to handle multiple connections and it will lag if too many users connect at once.

When you're just starting out an access DB might work okay, but there are better options.  If you are planning on SQL Server in the future then you'd be better served by using MSDE.  It is a stripped down version of SQL Server that limits the number of simultaneous connections.  The advantage is that since it is still SQL underneath it will be much easier to upgrade in the future.  The MSDE engine is free with Access but it doesn't come with the Enterprise Management tools that SQL Server has.  If you have those tools available then they can connect and manage MSDE databases just like SQL databases.  Since the software you're using came with scripts to build the SQL database that should work for MSDE as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
what he said. and i believe the MSDE limit is five simultaneous connections. ...if that helps your planning any. it should be available via the ms website, but i seem to remember it being a pain in the ass to find.

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information.  I looks like I just need to figure out how to create this SQL database and go with that.  I've got a SQL server now, and have the SQL script.  I'm just having difficulty creating the database.
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top