Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2002 6:26:55 PM EDT
I just read one of the linked articles that appear on the front page of AR-15.com - "Pink Pistols Say Media's Sniper Reporting Off-Target" -
[url]http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200210/CUL20021021b.html[/url]

Here is a section of the article that I found dumbfounding

Trick bullets?

Rostcheck also questioned media reports that the killer's bullet of choice has been .223 caliber. He said the killer may be using a different caliber altogether.

"He may be dropping expended ballistic cartridges there to mislead the police," Rostcheck said. "He might have gone to a shooting range, picked up a handful of .223 cartridges, and just put one down every time he takes a shot. It might be a totally different caliber."

The Mr. Rostcheck quoted in this article either hasn't been paying very close attention in class and should go stand in the corner for same or he simply is ignorant about some basic principles on the subject and should not be sought out by the media as a spokesperson for gun rights groups.

Did we totally overlook the fact that investigators are not relying on the spent cartridges found to determine the caliber of the weapon used but in fact on the bullets recovered from the victims?

I just wondered if this little gem jumped out at any other reader...

It further proves the point that many if not most in the media will take what anybody says and slap it in a printed article or on the 6 o'clock news to "scoop" the competition.  Obviously the writer - Michael L. Betsch or his editors didn't know enough or take the time to proof this to keep from looking a bit... shall we say... dumb?

So many experts and so little air time and print space...  Just felt like this needed to be pointed out in the middle of all the frenzy surrounding a very serious situation we are facing currently in this nation.

Reality check: Some scenerios do exist that are indefensible and those that are dedicated to terror will exploit them at every opportunity.

I am sure that sure that many of my fellow shooting enthusiasts would agree that would: 1) very much like to see this animal who is perpetrating this action stopped immediaitely and 2) perhaps by getting a taste of his own twisted logic by getting taken out by a counter-sniper that might be fortunate enough to be staking out a possible site and find him in their crosshairs.

I would certainly count it an honor...

The Sniper
[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The press is just out of control plain and simple. I hear more disinformation that information. Here's a nice little example

[img]http://members.cox.net/prozac-tf/Image003.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Amen.

I'm constantly amazed at how many inaccuracies are being spewed out by the media and their talking heads (can't include any experts, 'cause I obviously haven't seen any).

I've only had to correct about 437 people today on what kind of automatic assault sniper rifle the shooter is using.

I'll be very glad when this is all over.

And yeah, it would be cool if a civilian took the shooter out with a 300 yard shot....

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Rostcheck also questioned media reports that the killer's bullet of choice has been .223 caliber. He said the killer may be using a different caliber altogether.

"He may be dropping expended ballistic cartridges there to mislead the police," Rostcheck said. "He might have gone to a shooting range, picked up a handful of .223 cartridges, and just put one down every time he takes a shot. It might be a totally different caliber."
View Quote

While they obviously know approximately the caliber, I have read nothing saying that they had matched the case found at the crime scene to the bullets they have recovered. Some checks of the powder residue would verify that, but I have not seen anything saying they had done that or got a match if they did. Rostcheck has a point about the ability to just get some used brass at a range. For all they know, the killer could be using a .222 or a .22-250. It could even be a 5.45 ruskie round, although I would think they could identify that by bullet construction. There is another thread about the ATF admitting they could not determine the caliber exactly, the type of rifle, or even if the bullets all came from the same gun. They know the number of rifling lands and the twist rate, but not likely much else. JMHO.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=149450&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top