Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2002 6:59:48 AM EDT
What's the difference..?

[u]Isreal -vs- Palestine:[/u] Battle for land struggle and political/religious freedom.

[u]England -vs- Ireland:[/u] Battle for land struggle and political/religious freedom.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my unpopular view:

Back around the 1770s, a certian country kicked England's ass by whatever means they could find; sniping, kegs of blackpowder, ambushes, etc.

It worked.

Ireland is doing basically the same thing by whatever means they can; sniping, C-4, ambushes, etc.

Britian needs to get the fuck out of Ireland.

Balming

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've asked the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait to hear the opinion of our very own "ShamusMcCoy"... [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Well guys,

The Irish have a historic just claim to Ireland.  

The Paly's have neither history nor a just claim to the West Bank.  They already have a country but aren't allowed to return to it.

You do recall the "Palestine" is a construct of TAA DAA---the Brits.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
 Ireland is for the Irish, I have a problem when people from other countries move in and occupy land of other countries/people, but life must go on...just ask the American Indians. I guess all I can say is, may the best man win.    
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The difference? Blair is GW's buddy!

I don't see a difference, but I'm not Irish.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Me I don't see any difference at all. I wish england would get the fuck out of Ireland.

What really blows my mind is it seems like the majority on this board support Isreal and at the same time support british control of Northern Ireland. I don't get it. That is so hippocritical.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
One is in western europe, one is in the middle east.  One might lead to WW3, the other probably won't.  One deals with people who hate each other, the other deals with people who have sworn to kill the other.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Ireland was invaded, the people were brutally murdered, raped and tortured, lands and property was seized. A prime example is how queen liz I ordered that all fiddlers be hung on site because song was the main sorce of news and politics in Ireland. Other examples lke bloody sunday where unarmed civilians were fired apon by troops and armored cars. Hundreds of years of this accounts for a legitimate cause towards freedom from oppression. THe main point being there were forceful invaded by a ruthless expanionist foreign country. Look at scottland, same thing happened there, and they won the independence but we dont talk of their actions as wrong. Look at America, the Sons of Liberty and other groups of pre-revolution could be said to be terrorists.

the Palestines were not forcefully invaded, the land was given to the jews by UN. The palestians then ivaded and attacked the isrealies. This has been going on for a few decades in modern times not for hundreds of years.

another thing, which i bet will be argued, but for the most part most bombings by the IRA are aimed at military checkpoints, CP, barracks and such, others being well known places of RnR for troops (yes civies are killed), and of the much hated informates aimed to cause so much damage and such a high toll for the british army that they will withdrawl. While the Palestines almost soley target civies, schools, buses, tourists, teen night clubs...etc to cause terror and fear.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
One link both the IRA and the PLO share is their affection for, and connection with, [red]communists[/red]. Fuck them both.

[i]Here Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat kisses the hand of an unidentified member of a delegation of representatives of international communist organizations who visited him yesterday.[/i]

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/021013/168/2fqj4.html[/url]

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the difference..?

[u]Isreal -vs- Palestine:[/u] Battle for land struggle and political/religious freedom.

[u]England -vs- Ireland:[/u] Battle for land struggle and political/religious freedom.
View Quote

The difference is there is no such place as "Palestine"

After the Romans drove out the last few Jews from Israel they named their land after their long time enemies the Philistines who the Romans called the Palestines in their language.

And that is the difference[:D]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's the difference..?

View Quote

-hows this for apathy??
I don't care who "wins",either battle.I just like watching the show(s) [:E]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Being a Guinness drinker, my allegiance is to Ireland! [beer]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the difference..?

View Quote

Isn't religion wonderful!  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Revolutionary vs. Terrorist is a matter of who you choose to target, soldiers or civilians...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Revolutionary vs. Terrorist is a matter of who you choose to target, soldiers or civilians...
View Quote

So the guys who blew up the Cole were not terrorists?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's the difference..?

View Quote

Oversimplifation.

Isreal vs Palestine is mostly about the Palestineans wanting every Jew dead. We've heard this from Arafat. Isreal would happily bother nobody if they were just left alone, they have their land.

Irish Republicans do not want every Protestant dead, or every Brit for that matter. Hence why the Irish flag has Orange on it. In fact, I can name a bunch of Protestants who fought in early Irish Rebellions from the 1700s until recently.

To put it bluntly, the British made it a religous struggle. Like I said, I can name a lot of Protestants who were on the side of Ireland, but how many Catholics can you find marching with the Orangemen?

Largely, this happened with the emergence of Ian Paisley as a leader. As has been said throughout history, the easiest way to control people is to appeal to their prejudices. Loyalists bitch about those damn Catholics. IRA men bitch about the British government.

For Irish Republicans, it's a political issue. It's Irish land, it should be part of the Republic. There's a standing IRA order that people are not to be targeted simply because of their religion. Like I said, there have been and are Protestant Irish Republicans.
[url]http://www.uni-mainz.de/~cielp005/rebelsongs/sor215.htm[/url]

For Loyalists, it's largely a religous issue. They don't want Catholics. Like I said, name a Catholic in an Orangemen parade.

So really, the Irish fighting is political on one side, religous on the other.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top