Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2002 4:40:32 AM EDT
Have any?

2 Cousins in USAF
1 Uncle Korean War, Vietnam Veteran(67-69)
1 Step brother USNA grad.(class of 93) deployed (classified local.)

Edited to add: When I finish college I plan to go in the US Army Res. as an officer.

Share your freedom saving family!

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My cousin is a vetranarian.  Oh wait sorry, nevermind.

My father is a Vietnam vet turned Marine Corps F-4 then F-18 pilot, now retired.  Semper Fi.  My old man, IS the man.  Don't know whether to salute him or hug him.

Got another cousin flying F18s for the Corps as well.  Both my grandfathers were WW2 vets.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Great Uncle - Bataan Death March and Japanese prison camp survivor.

Uncle and Father - 50s era US Army vets.

Me - just retired (US Navy)
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
1 Great Uncle Marine Corp, Lt. Wounded on Iwo Jima by sniper and grenade. Died in 1995.

1 Great Uncle Navy, was on three destroyers that were sunk or damaged.

1 Great Uncle Army, Sgt. Maj. Red Arrow division, saw action in the Buna and Saidor campaigns. Died 1996.

1 Great Uncle Merchant Marines

1 Great Uncle Army, Sgt.

1 Great Uncle Think he was Army Air Corp.  He was a belly gunner in a B-17.  Flew his missions and came home. Died in 1995.

1 Great Uncle Army Air Corp? Died in Flight Training.

7 Great Uncles WWII, only 6 came home.

1 Grandpa Marine Corp fought in the pacific, was on the beach when the flags went up on Mt. Surabachi, Iwo Jima.  Died from cancer about 26 years ago.

1 Grandpa USAF, After WWII but before Korea.

1 Uncle Navy Lt. Cmmdr.(Ret.), Vietnam

1 Uncle Navy, Vietnam

1 Aunt Navt Lt.

Myself, Marine Corp

My family is very proud to have served this country.  We still do.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Gramps - WWII, Marines, Guadalcanal, Infantry
Great Uncle - WWII, Army, Normandy, Amphib Veh. Driver.
Dad - Vietnam, Army, Administrative Services in VA hospital

Me - freeloading piece of shit
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dad was a WW2 submariner, mostly in the Sea of Japan.

I seem to vaguely remember doing some time in the Army in RVN.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Grandfather - WWI Army
Father - WWII, Korea, Viet Nam - Retired Navy
Me - Retired Army
Uncle (and God Father) WWII, Korea, VN - Retired USMC
Uncle - Korea, Army
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Every generation of my family has served their country in time of war, going back to pre-revolutionary (1635), (Militia), times. One of my brothers son's is currently joining the Army. I'm the only combat veteran of my generation, (Vietnam)....

(edited to add date because of date in above post)  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Brother - AF
Father - USMC
Uncle - Merchant Marine
Uncle - US Army
Uncle - US Army/DOD Civilian
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Brother: NOPD
Cousin: Panama, 3/75 Army
Father: Vietnam, 27 years Navy
Unlce: Vietnam, Army
Grandfather: WWII, Army
Great Uncle:WWII, Navy
Great Uncle:WWII, Army
Me: 9yrs and counting, Army

[(:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Dad - WWII Army Veteran 555th Engineers Heavy Ponton Battalian (If I remember correctly) I feel fortunate to still have him around, he'll be 79 in April!
Dad's two older brothers were both WWII army veterans, one was infantry and served under General Patton.  The other was stationed in New Jersey. Dad's younger brother went in the Navy after the war.

Dad's Uncle also served in the Army during WWII.

My brother served in the Army in 73-76 (I think).

My sister's husband, Army Helicopter Pilot in Vietnam.

On Mom's side, a Great Uncle who was in the Air Force in WWII, he was killed near the end of the war.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me think now...
I was US Army, my brother still is.
Two cousins US Army.
Three uncles, all vietnam vets.
Can't remember all my great uncles but one was awarded silver and bronze stars, he was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam BTW.
A few more ancestors in WWI, one had been gassed in the Ardennes.
Both sides in the civil war.
And last but not least, the revolutionary war, where they picked the wrong side and had to flee to canada afterwards, oops.
I believe we have had someone in every US conflict even before the US became the US.
As you can see the family has way too much time on their hands and has researched our ancestory to this country (continent?) to the mid 1600s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Me-Capitalistic pig
DAD- Vietnam 4 tours , Green Beret, became Captain with all battlefield commissions, never attended west point or college, died July 2000 from heart attack after beating cancer picked up in Nam 13 yrs earlier
UNCLE-wounded at Bastogne
GRANDFATHER-coward and career scumbag til this day
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
It goes all the way back to the Revolution!  None were of particular note or fame, just GIs that did what had to be done and then got on with life.

As for more immeadiate family:
Father-Drafted for Korea in the '50's
Mother-Civillian target as a child during Pearl Harbor attack (OK, she was never in the military, but she saw combat!)
Uncle-Army (was also in the Watts riots in the CalNG)
Cousin-Navy rescue swimmer on the Kitty Hawk
Cousin-USMC
Uncle-USAF
Cousin-Army, door gunner KIA Vietnam
Me-Army
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Every male on my father's side of the family since we've been in this country (five generations to include my son and me). On my mother's side, in a straight line back to late 1800's, all males but two. We were born to serve.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Great Grandfather(3x) Confederate soldier from Florida.  Fought in Florida and was drafted to help defend Richmond at the end of the war.  Fought at Cold Harbor.

Father and two uncles WWII Vet.  All saw serious combat.

Me - Vietnam
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Father and 2 Uncles- USN during 60s and 70s
2 Cousins- Army
1 Cousin- USMC
1 Cousin- Navy
Brother- Navy
Other Brother- Army
Me- Air Force
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Uncle - Navy
Uncle - USMC
Grandfather - Navy
Me - Army

I guess I like to be different
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Great-Grandfather fought in WWI
Grandfather was a gunner's mate in the South Pacific in WWII
Father was a SeaBee in SEA
I was a C-130E Loadmaster in the USAF

Dirk  [USA]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad was 82nd Airborne stationed in Morocco in 1945-46.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:   His main point was "You shouldn't have the right to vote less you served.  Why should someone be allowed to vote for a politician that will send your kid to war if they weren't willing to go themselves." I think he has a point.
View Quote

Amen. Too many people who don't have the vaguest clue of the word sacrifice are making too many decisions for everyone.

Dirk
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather was a Marine in WWII and fought the Japanese.  He was a very kind, helpful, but quiet man who didn't really know how to show love, and I think that was a result of the war.

He hardly ever talked about the war, but he did once say that he saw his friend's head roll down a hill.  He also had a large scar on his hand, and he said that he deflected a Japanese's bayonet charge with his hand.

He died around Christmas of 1998 at the age of 73.  He was very healthy, and could even hike about a half of a mile up a steep, uneven, weedy hill in 100% humidity at 85+ degrees.  But he had a very rare lung condition that finally killed him.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Father - Army, 1969-1972
Uncle - Army, vietnam infantry
Grandfather - Army, WWII
4? Greatuncles - Army and army air force, WWII
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Both grandfathers-WWII
1 uncle-Retired Army, Vietnam vet
Dad and 2 uncles-Vietnam era
Nother uncle-Retired Navy
Uncle-late '70s Army
Cousin-Navy subs, late 80s
Cousin-Active duty Guard, 16+ yrs
Cousins wife-Active duty Guard
Myself-67 days til vet status

Quite a few of my extended family sered as well (great uncles, etc.) I need to get around and gather some info on this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Great-great-grandfather:  Yankee major from NY.  Married a lady from Virginia after the war of Northern Agression.  Had one son.

Great-grandfather:  Brigadier General USA.  USMA class of 1891.  Artillery officer.  Fought with TR in Cuba in '98.  Fought Moros in the Philippines in 1901-03.  Commander 77 Arty Regiment in WW I.  Died 1925 throat cancer.  Too many cigars...just like so many men of his era...like Grant.

Neither grandfather was in the service.

Father:  USAAF-USAF 1942-1951.  B-24 gunner in 8th Air Force.  Shot down an Me 410 twin engine fighter trying to shoot his plane down.  Awarded DFC.

Me:  Retired Navy, 1964-1992.  Seven ships; toted an evil black rifle for five years.

Son:  USA, M1A2 tank crewmember 1992-1996.

We're working on our grandson to become a SEAL or Ranger. [;D]

Edited to add wife's side of the family!  (Doh!)

Father in law:  Motor Machinist Mate on LST in WW II.  Fought at Normandy.  Told us that after the beachead was secure, they pushed up on the beach, offloaded cargo and vehicles and picked up POWs and WIA for return to England.  On one trip, the MPs brought them a bunch of SS assholes.  They put the SS troops in the well deck of the ship and put guards with Thompsons all around the Nazis on the gallery deck above.  He said those SS assholes scared the hell out of him...and if they had so much as farted wrong on the way back he and the other kids (He was only 18) would have gunned them all down in a heartbeat.  I guess the Germans figured that out too, 'cause they all made it back to England ok and turned the POWs over to the MPs.

Brother in law:  Retired Navy Sub Sailor.  Twenty years riding boomers from Charleston and Holy Loch.

His two kids:  Son graduates from The Citadel next May and will be sworn into the USAF that day.  Daughter graduates from The Citadel in two years; her choice of service as yet undetermined, but I'd bet on the USAF too...that's where all the foxes go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Dad, Korean War Vet. 179th Inf. 45th Inf. Div.
Dad's brother, WWII 27th Inf. Div. KIA on Saipan
Father in Law, Korean war U.S. Navy U.S.S. Power DD 839
Grand Father (mother's side) WWII Army Air Corps.
Several Uncles, U.S. Army (mid 50's)
Brother, U.S. Navy  (late 70's)
Me, USMC 1st MAW (early 80's)
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Dad - Navy Korean Conflict / Airforce Cold War
Brother - Navy Corpsman Persian Gulf War
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Both grandfathers of mine are World War 2 veterans, The Winter war and the Continuation War against the Russians.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top