Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 6:38:53 PM EDT
I was talking to a pathologist at work the other day about embalming. I told him that when I die I'd like to be creamated and not be embalmed. I told him that I was familiar with the embalming process and that even though I was dead, it wasn't something I wanted to subject my body to (large 1 inch diameter tubes jabbed into your femoral arteries). He said that I must be embalmed and that it was the law. I then asked him why if I'm going to be cremated must I be embalmed? He stated "so they know for sure that you're dead". I told him that I thought that was silly. "You mean to tell me that they don't know that I'm dead before I'm embalmed?" He said it was to make everything "official". I asked him "suppose I'm decapitated; they're still going to embalm me?". He said "yep, that's the law." After a few minutes I realized that that was the best answer I was going to get out of him. I told him hell, if that's the way it is I'd rather kick the bucket privately somewhere off in the woods in an unmarked grave. I know I'm being silly but the question still bugs me. Why does the law persist that one must be embalmed?

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Payola
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Payola
View Quote

That figures. The answer to 99 out of 100 questions is always money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
May I suggest calling a funeral director in your area.  They know the laws and can tell you for sure.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"Purpose of Embalming
Embalming disinfects, temporarily preserves and restores, to an acceptable physical appearance, a dead human body. As human remains begin to decompose almost immediately after death, thereby offering an ideal environment for microbial growth, untreated remains pose a public health concern.

While embalming sanitizes the body, it also retards decomposition, thereby temporarily preserving the body. In view of America's highly mobile society, embalming permits friends and family to travel great distances, often several days after a death, to attend the funeral ceremony and allows the body to be buried at some place other than where death occurred.

Additionally, embalming restores the body to an acceptable physical appearance for viewing following a traumatic death or devastating illness. Many bereavement experts agree that viewing the deceased confirms the reality of death and helps survivors take an important step toward recovering from their loss.
"

"Legal Matters
Embalming is not routinely required by law, but may be necessary if death is due to certain diseases; if final disposition is not made within a prescribed period of time; if refrigeration or immediate burial is not available; or if a body is to be transported between states or internationally in a common carrier.

Some states require embalming for transportation within the state, beyond the place where death occurred. Funeral directors may require embalming if the funeral ceremony selected by a family includes viewing and are generally required to ask permission of the deceased's next-of-kin verbally or in writing before embalming.

Ask your funeral director to explain any specific laws, policies or circumstances that will influence your decisions regarding embalming. "

[url]http://www.nfda.org/resources/caregiving/embalm.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]

According to these guys..  you've been lied too my friend...[:)]

[url]http://www.funerals.org/personal/embalm.htm[/url]

. Embalming is rarely required by law. The Federal Trade Commission and many state regulators require that funeral directors inform consumers that embalming is not required except in certain special cases. Embalming is required when crossing state lines from Alabama, Alaska, and New Jersey. Three other states — Idaho, Kansas, and Minnesota — require embalming when a body is shipped by common carrier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Funeral directors in most State have very influential lobbyest that work hard to have legislation passed that is in their best interest.  Here in Calif. it was assumed that embalming was required.  After much consumer outcry, a law was passed whereby funeral directors must inform clients, in writting, that embalming was not required by law.
They still "push it as highly reccomended" though.  As for cremations, State law states that the remains must be cremated in a casket. I have seen cremation caskets costing over $2000!!!

It's called the High Cost of Dying

Check with the Mortuary/ Funeral Directorss reglatory agency for your State and request the facts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
When my father died I asked the funeral director if embalming was required. He said it was not mandatory here in Nazi Jersey but was recommended as sometimes a problematical discoloration can occur. In my father's case, since he was to be transported across  the state line into New York for burial, it was mandatory.
FYI
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
what's femoral arteries? sorry i don't know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
arteries on the inside of your thighs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Venerated:

After a neighbor's funeral, I spent about 1 week researching all of the above.  The whole embalming thing is a scam, as are the caskets and the entire process.  These folks make used car salesmen look like saints.

Anyway, embalming is usually not required, although you will be told that it is.  Find a friendly funeral home while you are alive and save your loved ones some money.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
It's all a SCAM!  Those clowns rip you off.

I told my missus to have the funeral home burn my remains ONLY...nothing else.  Then I want her to turn my ashes over to the Navy for burial in Arlington if there's room or at sea on a warship.

I had to do several burials at sea for old vets like me years ago...and I want to get even. [;D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a process for those interested:

The Embalming Process

The body is placed on stainless steel or porcelain table, then washed with a germicide-insecticide-olfactant. The insides of the nose and mouth are swabbed with the solution.
Rigor mortis (stiffness) is relieved by massage. (Rarely but sometimes, tendons and muscles are cut in order to place the body in a more natural pose if limbs are distorted by disease, e.g., arthritis.)
Massage cream is worked into the face and hands to keep the skin soft and pliable.
Facial features are set by putting cotton in the nose, eye caps below the eyelids, a mouth former in the mouth (cotton or gauze in the throat to absorb purging fluids). The mouth is then tied shut with wire or sutures. (Glue may be used on the eyelids and lips to keep them closed in an appropriate pose.) Facial hair is shaved if necessary.
Arterial embalming is begun by injecting embalming fluid into an artery while the blood is drained from a nearby vein or from the heart. The two gallons or so needed is usually a mixture of formaldehyde or other chemical and water. In the case of certain cancers, some diabetic conditions, or because of the drugs used prior to death (where body deterioration has already begun), a stronger or "waterless" solution is likely to be used for better body preservation. Chemicals are also injected by syringe into other areas of the body.
The second part of the embalming process is called cavity embalming. A trocar — a long, pointed, metal tube attached to a suction hose — is inserted close to the navel. The embalmer uses it to puncture the stomach, bladder, large intestines, and lungs. Gas and fluids are withdrawn before "cavity fluid" (a stronger mix of formaldehyde) is injected into the torso.
The anus and vagina may be packed with cotton or gauze to prevent seepage if necessary. (A close-fitting plastic garment may also be used.)
Incisions and holes made in the body are sewn closed or filled with trocar "buttons." The body is washed again and dried.
Nails are manicured, any missing facial features are molded from wax, head hair is styled, and makeup is used on the face and hands. The body is dressed and placed in the casket (fingers are glued together if necessary).
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
That sure sounds creepy!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Having worked in a funeral home myself, I'm generally familiar with the process as well.

In the case of bodies that have been autopsied, the embalming process is more, shall we say...intrusive.   The breast plate is removed (it's just lying in place, having been cut out during the autopsy) and the Hefty Bag containing the kibbles and bits that used to be the deceased's organs (cut into what is essentially cube steak) is removed, drained of excess fluids, and then partly refilled by pouring embalming fluid directly into the bag.  The bag is set aside and with the chest cavity left wide open, the embalmer reaches inside and manually connects the embalming fluid hose to the major arteries that supplied the arms, legs, head, and whatnot.    If a cranial autopsy was performed, the mortician doesn't go back inside the skull since the embalming fluid will get into the skull well enough via the veins in the neck.

Excess fluid is drained out, the Hefty Bag-O-Guts is opened, and the contents poured into the chest cavity and distributed evenly.  The chest plate is then sewn in place.

Oh...since an autopsy victim's anus and other openings are disconnected, they may be glued, sutured, or plugged (from either the inside or the outside) to seal them off against fluid leakage.

In Florida, at least, embalming isn't required by law.  Jewish custom technically forbids it, and having dealt with a Jewish funeral an an unembalmed body, I can assure you that the reason Jewish funerals are held as rapidly as they are is because of the smell.  Count on a funeral the very next day after the funeral home gets the body if it's to be fully compliant with Jewish tradition.   I've caught a whiff of decomposing body coming from the casket.  It didn't make me hungry.

One thing about that job is that it taught me I can handle just about anything.  My stomach is far more rugged than even I imagined it would be.  And my view on death has become pretty mild.  It certainly doesn't freak me out.

CJ

CJ

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
jeez jew and cmjohnson, i guees that rotten.com stuff wqith guys heads bashed in doesn't really bother you guys, i consider myself to have a strong stomach (motion sick wise) but i'll admit i was a bit squemish reading that.

cmjohnson, you sound like you've got a pretty strong stomach. i wouldn't be puking but i prolly  wouldn't "have fun" my first time doing that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm not saying I don't have my limits at which point I'd be grossed out enough to toss lunch,  but I can truthfully say that I watched an autopsy in progress and still didn't lose my appetite for lunch shortly thereafter.  I have seen inside an empty skull with no brain in it, and thought of Bill Clinton.  Or was it Algore?

Rotten?  Rotten has MILD stuff on it.  Try THESE:

ehowa.com (ernie's house of whoopass)
steakandcheese.com
goregasm.com

and the others they link to.

There's some hardcore NASTY stuff on those, but even then, none of it makes me queasy.  I really don't think any photo can do that to me.

The only things that are really revolting to me involve fecal matter being used as an object associated with sexual gratification or other serious perversion.   That I'd rather not look at.  But even that doesn't make me sick.

As rugged as my constitution is regarding all things visual,   I do have a weakness:  When flying, I can get queasy and toss my lunch with a relatively small amount of aggressive flying. Yet I love to fly so much that if I knew as an absolute certainty that I'd throw up the next time I flew, and it was as a guest in the back seat of a Thunderbirds F-16D or Blue Angels F/A-18D,  I wouldn't hesitate to take the flight.  Heck, it could be ANY plane and I'd go even if I KNEW my stomach was going to revolt.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top