Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2013 2:50:37 PM EDT
I currently have AT&T DSL internet, and I'm sick of the spotty service and horrible customer service. Since I already have Dish for TV, I was thinking about adding their internet. Anyone have it, and do you like it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I currently have AT&T DSL internet, and I'm sick of the spotty service and horrible customer service. Since I already have Dish for TV, I was thinking about adding their internet. Anyone have it, and do you like it?

Aren't they just a reseller for Viasat Exede/Wildblue?  I have Exede because at my current house I can get nothing else.  If you can get cable go with that, I had cable for 10 years.

Satellite internet is only for those that can get nothing else.  It works well when it works but you get DAPped with small data usage.

Their forum has people complaining about poor service.  They had an issue with disappearing data where people with nothing running and modem turned off would lose their entire month data usage allotment in an hour and the company would not make it good.

Customer service sucks through Viasat, people call and don't get off hold for 30-45 minutes and then get disconnected.    

People like me who get it direct through Viasat get unlimited usage between midnight and 5:00am.  Those who get the service through Dish may not get that free data usage.  When you get capped for going of usage amount they slow your service until your reset date.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. I guess I may just have to suffer with AT&T. Cable is unavailable where I'm at.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't they just a reseller for Viasat Exede/Wildblue?  I have Exede because at my current house I can get nothing else.  If you can get cable go with that, I had cable for 10 years.

Satellite internet is only for those that can get nothing else.  It works well when it works but you get DAPped with small data usage.

Their forum has people complaining about poor service.  They had an issue with disappearing data where people with nothing running and modem turned off would lose their entire month data usage allotment in an hour and the company would not make it good.

Customer service sucks through Viasat, people call and don't get off hold for 30-45 minutes and then get disconnected.    

People like me who get it direct through Viasat get unlimited usage between midnight and 5:00am.  Those who get the service through Dish may not get that free data usage.  When you get capped for going of usage amount they slow your service until your reset date.

I USED to work for dish and they used to bundle with other companies. Wild blue being the major one. The Internet was slow as fuck and had major bandwidth restrictions. I would avoid it at all costs. Seeing the new commercials it looks like they may have took over a company or launched their own service. If you do go with them be sure you find out if there are bandwidth restrictions. It wil suck if they cut you off half way through the month because you used it too much.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
IF it is satellite internet run, run, RUn away..   as mentioned by the first poster - it is a last resort when after dail up, dsl/cable, and wireless..

The new satellite packages are super fast compared to the older satellite service - but its still satellite..

with anything but cable/dsl you will have data limits - if you ever want to game/stream music/stream video satellite/wireless is NOT for you

good luck

Brian
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the Viasat Exede-12 service from Wildblue is fast, 12Mbs and faster during late night hours.  But the system sucks with the data caps and they recently took the caps off for a month to fix the system due to a problem with their system stealing customers usage when they weren't even using it.  They brought the data caps back and surprise, they fixed nothing.

Dish uses Wildblue to provide internet service when a satellite is the only option.  You get locked into a two year contract and their contract doesn't even guarantee the service will work.  You have to buy your way out of it.

Hughes Gen 4 is supposedly even worse.

If cable is available go with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
"Oh look, a cloud in the sky! Hey... what happened to my connections?"

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had Dish TV since 1996 and I love it - I would never sign up for the internet service though....
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Former Dish and DirecTV employee here. I agree with what everyone said above, stay away from Satallite Internet unless you live in the middle of nowhere. It is way too expensive for what you get.
Personally, I would never ever have Any sort of Dish Metwork service in my house. I never saw a company so he'll bent on lying to customers and employees. I have also noticed DirecTV is starting to suck ass too since Hughes sold it off.

Stay with what you have and be happy it is not 56K dial up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top