Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2013 6:01:21 AM EDT
Why is it that a large percentage of drivers, when changing lanes on the freeway, slow down?  As soon as they start crossing over into the adjacent lane, they pull their foot off the gas pedal and don't hit it again until they are completely in the new lane?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
California go figure.

yet another reason I will never go back to that state. nice views but damn I have never seen traffic that bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Always drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why is it that a large percentage of drivers, when changing lanes on the freeway, slow down?  As soon as they start crossing over into the adjacent lane, they pull their foot off the gas pedal and don't hit it again until they are completely in the new lane?

Never seen that where I live

Only reason to live in CA is you can split the lanes on a bike
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but ever since they started using passenger mirrors that make the cars behind look smaller; people have started cutting me off when passing me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Just take their foot off? I've seen a lot of them brake.

I think a big part of it is the really horrible spatial awareness most people have, combined with very poor depth perception.

Talking of texting doesn't help, either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
CA...yup, explains a whole lot.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think a big part of it is the really horrible spatial awareness most people have, combined with very poor depth perception.

No, it's being deliberate. They race to pass you, slow down. You pass them, they race again to pass you again, and slow down. The cycle continues.

The kicker? I am on cruise control the entire time, and I don't care if I get passed or not. I don't play retard games.

But the best part of the California driving experience is passing a lame duck who shouldn't be on the passing lane to begin with, to suddenly see them speed up and race you to keep you from passing them and you're suddenly disengaging cruise control and braking to avoid a collision with a semi. Fun times. I don't miss that shit.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's being deliberate. They race to pass you, slow down. You pass them, they race again to pass you again, and slow down. The cycle continues.

The kicker? I am on cruise control the entire time, and I don't care if I get passed or not. I don't play retard games.

But the best part of the California driving experience is passing a lame duck who shouldn't be on the passing lane to begin with, to suddenly see them speed up and race you to keep you from passing them and you're suddenly disengaging cruise control and braking to avoid a collision with a semi. Fun times. I don't miss that shit.

I had CO drivers do that to me so many times I started calling them yo-yos.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
They do it here, too.  But never seem to get to speed and disrup traffic flow.  Especially the drivers in such a big hurry or those getting over for no reason but to just get over.  It's almost like they do it on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
California go figure.

yet another reason I will never go back to that state. nice views but damn I have never seen traffic that bad.

Pretty much sums up my opinion, lived there for 6 months, beautiful weather, but fuck that traffic makes you wanna throat punch babies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Well hell, at least they get into the next lane.

Around here people just stay in the passing lane.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they're from CA.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because of California's generous organ transplant program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#14]
If I change lanes, it's because I'm passing a mother fucker.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Lane changes are best done with the pedal to the floor
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in CA and I haven't seen much of that, either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
95% Of American Drivers are in fact mentally retarded.

MIT did a study on this shit last month.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My driver in Iraq had a bumper sticker custom ordered that was the same on Spaceballs on the back of my RG-33. Ultimate DFWM vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#19]
One of my favorites is when someone wants to make a left turn on a secondary road.

Speed limit on road 45-55, turn lane leading up to intersection is about 1/4 mile long, no cars waiting at light. Driver wanting to turn slows down to 10mph before entering the turn lane, sans signal.

Or, many roads here have a center turn lane to get into driveways, shopping centers and the like. Yet at least once a week I get to slam on my braked to avoid nailing an idiot who stops in the traffic lanes to make a left.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1.  Where I am from, my turn signal seems to be connected to the gas pedal of the person behind me.  If I am not already on it when I signal, they will speed up preventing me from changing lanes (if their car is fast enough).  Passive aggressive driving is not only annoying, it is very dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed doing it myself when I started using cruise control.  I'll be chugging along all nice till a hill comes up, car starts to slow enough to piss off the guy behind me, he pops out and tries to go around, next thing I know the cruise control drops a gear and speeds up enough to seem like I'm racing.  If the overdrive is off, I'll drop 5 mph (65 - 60)slowly then pick up 10 with a quickness (60 - 70)

Forgive me, it's the car.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Capitol Beltway (around DC) - a majority of drivers seem to do this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's called getting "truck-fucked"

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

13er... yup explains a whole lot.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed doing it myself when I started using cruise control.  I'll be chugging along all nice till a hill comes up, car starts to slow enough to piss off the guy behind me, he pops out and tries to go around, next thing I know the cruise control drops a gear and speeds up enough to seem like I'm racing.  If the overdrive is off, I'll drop 5 mph (65 - 60)slowly then pick up 10 with a quickness (60 - 70)

Forgive me, it's the car.

They aren't using cruise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
People don't like to use the round thingy right in front of them when driving, it distracts them from their cellphone use. They only like the faster pedal and the stopping pedal because you don't need your feet to text. It's why they'll tailgate a slower vehicle for miles instead of passing it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called getting "truck-fucked"

I'd like for them to get fucked.

Quoted:

Quoted:

13er... yup explains a whole lot.

Is there a problem with joining in 2013?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Wait people take there foot of the gas? Them noobs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I use CC on the interstate and have passed/been passed by the same car countless times because they're too retarded to maintain a constant speed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#30]
well, if you live in an snowy environment, a lot of the time the middle of the road is slicker than the drive lanes.  If you are changing lanes, it is wise to let off the gas especially if you drive a rwd vehicle, else your front might try to follow your back.

Oh, and this MANDATORY ETA:

If you drive in the left lane and never get out of it until you exit the freeway, all the while there are people behind you.......................may you die a painful natural death.

The left lane is for PASSING ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I swear every day I have to rage on some motherfucker who can't get that through their head.....and when someone tries to truck-fuck me, I make a point to make it around them and find a car going 65 mph in a 75, and go that speed right beside them until they move the fuck over.  I'll do whatever I can to make their lives behind me as miserable as they did to me.  Another good trick is to vary your speed by about 5 mph (i.e. never travel a constant speed).  It's absolutely miserable being behind someone doing that shit.

I'm done with them.  I'm done being nice.  I'm done being patient.  If you are in the left lane and you aren't passing and I'm behind you....get ready to hear about it.  I've even laid on my horn for a good 5 mins before someone got the god damn hint.  I've had some fucktard try to follow me home because they got pissed at me flashing my lights at them to get over........I don't give a fuck anymore.  SOMEONE needs to educate these assholes.  If that person is me, so be it, but I'm not going to empower them to do it more, like following them patiently and forgetting about it does.  I'm going to make it an experience they try to avoid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

well, if you live in an snowy environment, a lot of the time the middle of the road is slicker than the drive lanes.  If you are changing lanes, it is wise to let off the gas especially if you drive a rwd vehicle, else your front might try to follow your back.

If you drive in the left lane and never get out of it until you exit the freeway, all the while there are people behind you.......................may you die a painful natural death.

I swear every day I have to rage on some motherfucker who can't get that through their head.....and when someone tries to truck-fuck me, I make a point to make it around them and find a car going 65 mph in a 75, and go that speed right beside them until they move the fuck over.  I'll do whatever I can to make their lives behind me as miserable as they did to me.  Another good trick is to vary your speed by about 5 mph (i.e. never travel a constant speed).  It's absolutely miserable being behind someone doing that shit.

I'm done with them.  I'm done being nice.  I'm done being patient.  If you are in the left lane and you aren't passing and I'm behind you....get ready to hear about it.  I've even laid on my horn for a good 5 mins before someone got the god damn hint.  I've had some fucktard try to follow me home because they got pissed at me flashing my lights at them to get over........I don't give a fuck anymore.  SOMEONE needs to educate these assholes.  If that person is me, so be it, but I'm not going to empower them to do it more, like following them patiently and forgetting about it does.  I'm going to make it an experience they try to avoid.

California has no passing lane / stay right bullshit.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Rarely see that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But not every Californian was born, raised, and learned to drive there. They DO know better, yet choose to be obtuse about it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Apparently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Do we even want to get started about the tractor trailer governed at 63 mph passing the truck governed at 62 mph
and 12 miles later it finally  gets flashed its safe to move back over
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't know, but ever since they started using passenger mirrors that make the cars behind look smaller; people have started cutting me off when passing me.

Actually, I'm just cutting you off for left lane hogging, gramps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently.
Oh? Do tell. IM if you'd like.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently.
Oh? Do tell. IM if you'd like.

It appears to be a running joke.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well CO does.  The cops just don't do shit about it, so it might as well not exist.  Some people will still try to run you off the road if you try to pass on the right though....

I am also talking about 2 lanes each way type of highway, not the 6-8 lanes each way that is popular in Kali.  If someone is puttering around in the left lane, it fucks the entire damn road up for miles.

The people I am talking about are the fuckers who are actually rolling roadblocks.  Nobody in front of them, not passing anyone, but insist on being in the left lane.

Maybe it's all the damn Kalifornian's coming to CO that are doing this shit.  You say you don't have any "stay right bullshit" well........it fucking shows.  Did they also not get taught that if you don't allow people to pass you, you are really being a huge dick?  Playing a rolling roadblock is a douche move.  It really is.  If you  have a line of cars behind you, and nobody in front of you.........maybe you ought to move the fuck over and let some of those people who are honking, flashing their lights, etc pass you..............I just don't get it, why be a dick for no reason........seriously?  It costs you nothing to move over to the right lane and let people get around you who might want to drive faster than you...........so what's the gain for staying in the left?  You get nothing but a line of people who are increasingly pissed at you, that's it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:I am also talking about 2 lanes each way type of highway, not the 6-8 lanes each way that is popular in Kali.  If someone is puttering around in the left lane, it fucks the entire damn road up for miles.

The people I am talking about are the fuckers who are actually rolling roadblocks.  Nobody in front of them, not passing anyone, but insist on being in the left lane.

Maybe it's all the damn Kalifornian's coming to CO that are doing this shit.  You say you don't have any "stay right bullshit" well........it fucking shows.  Did they also not get taught that if you don't allow people to pass you, you are really being a huge dick?  Playing a rolling roadblock is a douche move.  It really is.  If you  have a line of cars behind you, and nobody in front of you.........maybe you ought to move the fuck over and let some of those people who are honking, flashing their lights, etc pass you..............I just don't get it, why be a dick for no reason........seriously?  It costs you nothing to move over to the right lane and let people get around you who might want to drive faster than you...........so what's the gain for staying in the left?  You get nothing but a line of people who are increasingly pissed at you, that's it.
This.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top