Link Posted: 4/21/2013 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
oh this is going to be good!

let me get my popcorn!

Here ya go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
This should be interesting. I've got a carbide smoker made of delrin. I've used it for blackening the front sight post on my A2 for years and it hasn't melted on me yet. But I dunno, man...that's a lot of heat and pressure on a brake. I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for proving my point with your own video, OP.  

Carry on.  I'm not wasting any more time looking up those nostrils or trying to explain this to you.  

You very obviously consider yourself the subject matter expert and have no interest in considering empirical data.

Looked like a difference to me.

Granted, a sample of 1...

I know right.....I understand the pressures in a shotgun are less then a rifle but there are still gasses. Granted the brakes that work best ate the big ugly ones......but wait that guy said I was wrong...disregard last lol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I had to put steel sleeves in my aluminum brakes because the hot gas and powder and fire erodes the aluminum very quickly. Maybe for a 22lr but not anything more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had to put steel sleeves in my aluminum brakes because the hot gas and powder and fire erodes the aluminum very quickly. Maybe for a 22lr but not anything more.

Well I have steel threaded inserts for the plastic brakes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
why

Fixing problems that don't exist, I guess.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first time a wad strikes a baffle and gets lodged,  or a piece gets gets lodged,  you are in for a hurting.
We fired SLAP out of the Barrett  .50s and a piece of the sabot would sometimes get lodged in the brake. Next round would make for some excitement.

Tread carefully.

Those SLAP rounds are how we know a brake needs to have ports that are closer together than the length of the sabot.

And yet, some sabot pieces would still get hung up and block the exit hole of the brake.

The concussive forces of the muzzle blast and cutting of the gasses are going to eat the delrin.
Just about anything muzzle brake/flash hider is tempered/heat treated or made from a material that is very tough.

Barrett brakes were 4140 then heat treated. They eventually went to Ti on the brakes for the 82A1 family of rifles.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
why

Fixing problems that don't exist, I guess.

Not "fixing" anything.....just an experiment lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Your videos don't prove much.  Just moving a stock slightly lower on the shoulder, or changing the way you're holding your shoulder or amount of tension you're putting on it could easily make what little difference is indicated.

One thing the videos do show clearly is the lack of anything being redirected to the rear out of the vents in the brake.  No gas going backwards = no recoil reduction.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your videos don't prove much.  Just moving a stock slightly lower on the shoulder, or changing the way you're holding your shoulder or amount of tension you're putting on it could easily make what little difference is indicated.

One thing the videos do show clearly is the lack of anything being redirected to the rear out of the vents in the brake.  No gas going backwards = no recoil reduction.

This.  Not to crap on OP, I like the idea of the videos etc, but if you are gonna put up a comparison video to show the effectiveness of different brakes, there are huge flaws in your test.  It is impossible for any shooter to brace themselves exactly the same for any two shots, so showing how far back and up the muzzle flips is as much an indicator of the shooter's reaction to the shot as it is anything else.

The scientific way to compare would be to measure the pounds of force exerted or some other quantifiable measurement that takes as many other elements out of the equation as possible.  The videos really show no useable data for comparison at all.  It would be like comparing two suppressors and declaring one "sounds" quieter...the right way to do it is to measure the decibels.

Back to the original concept tho, I'd agree that Delrin is going to fail, having worked with it before myself.  But regardless, it just doesn't offer any real advantages over steel or other metals in this application.  Not sure what the payoff will be other than to say you tried it.  Nothing wrong with that tho.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You may have been getting less muzzle rise because you are adding a weight to the end of the barrel when you attach a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your right....we knew there was alot of human error in that test because the shooter became fatigued but we are going to redo the test taking the human factor out.

You say the video shows that there was no gas redirected rearward but the shooters hair was blown back with every shot of the bigger muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may have been getting less muzzle rise because you are adding a weight to the end of the barrel when you attach a muzzle brake.

See thats how this all started. to see how much the weight effects it VS the gas vectoring. I was only going to make one of aluminum and steel but then thought of polymer. Ran across a scrap piece of delrin and at first just used it as a piece to test my CNC programs but then thought "what the heck...why not lol"
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it'd last very long... unless it's a really high temp capable plastic.

This.

How would it stand up to direct impact? Say the shotty was dropped muzzle first?

That's a good question.... I'll put that at the end of the torture test if it lasts long enough lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good luck, Fitty.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I bump my rifles into shit.  I would snap it off in a jiffy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bump my rifles into shit.  I would snap it off in a jiffy.

Thats part of the torture test
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#20]
IN, I enjoy your vids. Keep em coming.

I'd say find a rifle rest w/ a fixed backing of some sort would give give you a better visual interpretation of recoil/muzzle rise/etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IN, I enjoy your vids. Keep em coming.

I'd say find a rifle rest w/ a fixed backing of some sort would give give you a better visual interpretation of recoil/muzzle rise/etc.

That's the plan bud....and thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a button pusher myself. I say keep rockin dude fuck the haters. Do you mind if I ask what happened to your arm? Also it seems the Saiga 12 is your go to long gun, is it more suitable than other guns for you or do you just like it because it is badass?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm a button pusher myself. I say keep rockin dude fuck the haters. Do you mind if I ask what happened to your arm? Also it seems the Saiga 12 is your go to long gun, is it more suitable than other guns for you or do you just like it because it is badass?

Well there are a couple reasons why my Saiga-12 is my go to long gun. First off its the one that I have worked on the most myself. Its also the cheapest one to shoot other then my 10-22. I'll also agree with you on the badass part lol. Now to answer your first question.....

I came back to the states after my 7th deployment and me and some buddies in my unit went out to ride our dirt bikes in the woods. I had a KTM 300XCW 2T and I was going around 65mph when I hit a tree head on. To make a long story short I spent a month in a coma/ICU, a month in a normal room and a third month learning to walk and talk right again in the rehab place lol. My right side brachial plexus nerve branch(it controls all function of the right arm) was severed too close to the spine to repair so I mad the decision to cut it off after a surgery to fix it failed. I felt like shit while I was in physical therapy because everyone else there got there injuries in combat and I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is par two!

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rock on,  Fitty.

careful when you try it out,  though.

We will......I have a rest that we will use with a string attached to the trigger.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top