Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I never see him jogging in my neighborhood .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I never see him jogging in my neighborhood .

Hey, ease off the pedal Jeff Gordon, I know you're excited about showing off your new hoverround, but I don't think a powerchair street race is the best way to do it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I watched that stuff last night too.

He didn't say he proved  there was no god, he said one wasn't necessary for the creation of the universe.

Nope. He said there was no God because there was no time for a God to exist in before the Big Bang. In fact, since time did not exist before the Big Bang, there was no before the Big Bang.

I was curious to know how he knew that there wasn't another space time before the Big Bang, say like in another universe, in which a God could have existed, but I am not as smart as him so I left it alone. He's said that he has disproven the existence of God before too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't say he proved  there was no god, he said one wasn't necessary for the creation of the universe.

Nobody is interested in facts here.  Dr Frankenstein has built a MONSTER that must be destroyed.

You have no information at all from which to determine what are and aren't facts.

Hawking clearly said that the Universe was not created by a God because there was no time prior to the Big Bang in which a God could have existed. Since space and time are one fabric, and since they were created by the Big Bang, there was no "before the Big Bang" which means there was no where for a god to exist in order to create the universe.

Once again, you project intellectual superiority from a position of ignorance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Most scientists in the know, say most of his stuff is BS. He's an attention whore. Like to meet him face to face, I think I could take him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the last hour he's proved that there is no God and explained the meaning of life.

So I guess all that there is left is for us to go get some beers then eh?

He did? I thought he just said that the creation of the universe didn't require a God to happen? Did I miss something? (Entirely possible!)

Hawking is one smart guy. Like Einstein he knows his limitations and goes with what is observable.
Yep.

Time and space are interconnected in a fabric called spacetime. Spacetime was created by the Big Bang. Prior to the Big Bang, there was no space and there was no time. Since there was no time, there was no "prior to the Big Bang", which means there was no time in which a God who would have created the universe could have existed.

I immediately wanted to know how he was so certain that there were no other spacetimes in which a god could have existed, but he didn't answer.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is interested in facts here.  Dr Frankenstein has built a MONSTER that must be destroyed.

You have no information at all from which to determine what are and aren't facts.    

Hawking clearly said that the Universe was not created by a God because there was no time prior to the Big Bang in which a God could have existed. Since space and time are one fabric, and since they were created by the Big Bang, there was no "before the Big Bang" which means there was no where for a god to exist in order to create the universe.

Frankly, at this point, you could pretty much tell tell me that that water is wet and I would wait for a second opinion if I couldn't check it myself.  You have zero credibility with how you interpret the spoken or written word of anyone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Most scientists in the know, say most of his stuff is BS. He's an attention whore. Like to meet him face to face, I think I could take him.

Yeah, he did say some things that made the scientific community go

Like saying that new matter is being introduced into the universe as black holes suck things up.

But he has backed off on that
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hawking is overrated.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]
http://youtu.be/DI9ImScQGAo

Reminds me of GD every time I see it, "Scientist have determined that the universe was created by.. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD."
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd comment, but I haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
In the last hour he's proved that there is no God and explained the meaning of life.

He did? I thought he just said that the creation of the universe didn't require a God to happen? Did I miss something? (Entirely possible!)

Hawking is one smart guy. Like Einstein he knows his limitations and goes with what is observable.
Yep.

Time and space are interconnected in a fabric called spacetime. Spacetime was created by the Big Bang. Prior to the Big Bang, there was no space and there was no time. Since there was no time, there was no "prior to the Big Bang", which means there was no time in which a God who would have created the universe could have existed.

I immediately wanted to know how he was so certain that there were no other spacetimes in which a god could have existed, but he didn't answer.

No matter what scientific theories are introduced, creationist will ALWAYS place God just outside of our current understandings and hypotheses. You just did that, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Give it a few years... he will be proven wrong.... again
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better to be only partially right than to be completely and irredeemably wrong.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But not a single shred of evidence of God's existence has been ever shown to counter the argument.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

No matter what scientific theories are introduced, creationist will ALWAYS place God just outside of our current understandings and hypotheses. You just did that, BTW.

Which is interesting because I am not a creationist. I personally don't believe in creationism and I accept the Big Bang theory as being as close to proven fact as we have.

What I object to is someone who thinks he's figured it all out saying he's figured it all out, which was exactly what Stephen hawking said at the end of this particular show. He literally said that it took about 3,000 years, but we finally have all of the answers. I find that to be remarkably arrogant for a species who can barely orbit our own planet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly, at this point, you could pretty much tell tell me that that water is wet and I would wait for a second opinion if I couldn't check it myself.  You have zero credibility with how you interpret the spoken or written word of anyone.

Having zero credibility with you is a badge of honor since you have never been right about anything.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#19]
No matter your beliefs hawking is an idiot none of his theories of everything have stood the test of time.  He is a quack I take anything his computer says with a grain of sand.  He wants so desperately to come up with a theory of everything to tie everything together.  

I have studied theoretical physics for many years and remember it is theoretical.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No matter your beliefs hawking is an idiot none of his theories of everything have stood the test of time.  He is a quack I take anything his computer says with a grain of sand.  He wants so desperately to come up with a theory of everything to tie everything together.  

I have studied theoretical physics for many years and remember it is theoretical.

But can you tell the difference between salt and sand?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Dr. Hawking is wrong. Happens to everyone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Too bad he's wrong ...

LOL
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But can you tell the difference between salt and sand?

In a blind taste test?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Mock that which your little minds can't begin to comprehend.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having zero credibility with you is a badge of honor since you have never been right about anything.  

Wow, I had no idea you two were at odds. Damn.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#26]
There. Is. No. God. We'll never advance to our full potential as a species until we get over this nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But has he made love to a woman?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#28]
He thinks himself a god.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There. Is. No. God. We'll never advance to our full potential as a species until we get over this nonsense.

Yeah...people having faith in something greater than themselves is surely whats holding us back.    I have an idea though...instead of preaching it on an internet board, why don't you go somewhere and preach atheism to people that are REALLY dedicated...like say Pakistan.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Explain the advantages of a modern, high-tech god-less society.

The only ones we've seen so far has been Communist countries and the Third Reich.
How do you plan to morally root a godless society to prevent the atrocities and cruelty seen so far every god free nation?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure he has kids.

He wasn't born in that chair.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...people having faith in something greater than themselves is surely whats holding us back.    I have an idea though...instead of preaching it on an internet board, why don't you go somewhere and preach atheism to people that are REALLY dedicated...like say Pakistan.

I agree with the first quote but the 2nd one did give me a chuckle.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Er, hate to burst your bubble but Hawking's latest explanation of how the universe could have come from nothing is absolute rubbish. I used to appreciate Hawking's intellectual honesty and the caution he displayed when discussing matters of such import, but lately he's become yet another Dawkins clone.

Bottom line is this: Hawking argues that universe could have come from "nothing" by way of definitional fiat; that is, he conveniently defines "nothing" to mean any state of affairs that is scientifically undeterminable. Thus, whatever state there was logically prior to the existence of the universe becomes, by definition, nothing.

It's a cheap trick that's predicated on a gross conflation of epistemology and metaphysics and it ultimately fails. Besides that, Hawking still demonstrates a complete failure to address the modal concerns that surround the issue of a self-generating universe.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain the advantages of a modern, high-tech god-less society.

The only ones we've seen so far has been Communist countries and the Third Reich.
How do you plan to morally root a godless society to prevent the atrocities and cruelty seen so far every god free nation?

Instead of giving you an answer that you are too close minded to accept, I'll just go talk to my imaginary friend on a cloud.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. He said there was no God because there was no time for a God to exist in before the Big Bang. In fact, since time did not exist before the Big Bang, there was no before the Big Bang.    

I was curious to know how he knew that there wasn't another space time before the Big Bang, say like in another universe, in which a God could have existed, but I am not as smart as him so I left it alone. He's said that he has disproven the existence of God before too.

Wow. I'm sorry Steve, but the fact that you can't see the critical, obvious flaw in all that is a little disappointing. I would advise more discretion on who you choose to blindly follow before making such weighty decisions as the one whether or not to believe in God.

Better yet, don't blindly follow anyone
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he has kids.    

He wasn't born in that chair.

You are no fun
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm smarter than most of you because i have this on my coffee table.

I'm going to read it some day too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Impossible. I met him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. I'm sorry Steve, but the fact that you can't see the critical, obvious flaw in all that is a little disappointing. I would advise more discretion on who you choose to blindly follow before making such weighty decisions as the one whether or not to believe in God.

Better yet, don't blindly follow anyone

Send your sarcasm meter back and get a refund. If you can't tell that I was mocking Dr. Hawking's foolish arrogance, then you're sarcasm meter is fundamentally defective and useful only as a paperweight.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather deliver a case of bibles to starving kids in Africa. But not food. Definately not food.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I wonder if when the day comes, when you know that you are dying, will you still say and think that?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible. I met him.

Did you have a beer with Jesus, like the song?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if when the day comes, when you know that you are dying, will you still say and think that?

I'm not scared. I have a great life and live it to the fullest. When I go I go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If religion was about nothing but "having faith" then you'd have a point. However, it's not. For reference look up any evolution debate.

You're also proving Ken's point by asking him to go to Pakistan. Of course he can't go to Pakistan and preach atheism.....they're is nothing there but closed minded religious zealots that restrict free thinking....that's the exact point Ken is trying to make!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm smarter than most of you because i have this on my coffee table.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/BriefHistoryTime.jpg

I'm going to read it some day too.

Ghey, all the cool people have the expanded 10th anniversary edition.

Here toy go...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tide comes in, tide goes out.  You can't explain that.

the moon... or magnets... take your pick
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tide comes in, tide goes out.  You can't explain that.

the moon... or magnets... take your pick

Wrong. God. Don't bother to respond because ICANTHEARYOULALLAALALALALALALALA
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't forget sex. Humans like to have sex a lot, too. Procreation is as close to immortality as it gets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm smart enough to say I cant answer this question one way or the other.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Romans 1

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,[g] in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top