Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2002 6:16:06 PM EDT
I finally broke down and bought a safe for the toys. I've been using a Homak locker to secure them, But decided the collection merited a real full size Safe-(not to mention there wasn't another inch of room in there!). The wife looked at me like I was from Mars- A 500+ lb box? In the House?  Especially when I told her it was gonna live in the Bedroom!! She did come around when I told her she could put her jewelry in there too... (marriage is full of compromises!)

I know its not a $3000.00 dollar job, but it will do in my case-

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Grock%2FLiberty%2520Safe%2Ejpg[/img]

[:d]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
congratulations! i have a liberty safe also.
i felt much better once i was able to have all my guns locked up.
when i bought it my wife said i was stupid, the first time she had said anything negative about me buying gun stuff.
she cant get into it either,so i can get new toys and hide them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....she cant get into it either....
View Quote

I've never understood that way of thinking.  I yell at my wife because she can't remember the combination!! [:D]  Of all the people in the world, my wife needs to be #1 on the list of people besides me who need to know how to get into my safe.  Just my opinion on my own situation.

edit - oops - forgot - congrats on the new safe, Grock!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
she knows where the combination is i have shown her in case i die.
what i should have said is she has no interest in getting in there.
as far as getting in there to get a gun for self defense. not all of my guns are in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
In all sincerity:
Safes are worthless unless they're hidden. A safe in plain sight will direct 100% of a criminal's attention directly to it. When a criminal see's a gunsafe he also imagines cash and diamonds inside. How did you move the safe into your home? Criminals can remove it just as easily when you're not around. If your intention is keep other's safe (i.e., children, guests, etc.), then you're doing the right thing. If your intention is to protect your valuables from theft, you're on the wrong track. Valuables should be hidden (in walls, under floorboards, etc.). Imagine the Jews in Nazi Germany hiding their valuables from the SS in a safe in plain sight. It wasn't done that way. Think creative. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
safes are an excellent idea hidden or not.
The safe doesn't need to be hidden to be effective most, 95% of thieves are smash and grab types and will not be prepared to break into your safe they will most likely go for the easy to grab and easier to fence stuff. If a 100% total thief proof a safe is what you are looking for, they don't exist, if a dedicated thief wants your shit then nothing will stop him from getting it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In all sincerity:
Safes are worthless unless they're hidden. A safe in plain sight will direct 100% of a criminal's attention directly to it. When a criminal see's a gunsafe he also imagines cash and diamonds inside. How did you move the safe into your home? Criminals can remove it just as easily when you're not around. If your intention is keep other's safe (i.e., children, guests, etc.), then you're doing the right thing. If your intention is to protect your valuables from theft, you're on the wrong track. Valuables should be hidden (in walls, under floorboards, etc.). Imagine the Jews in Nazi Germany hiding their valuables from the SS in a safe in plain sight. It wasn't done that way. Think creative. Just my 2 cents worth.
View Quote

Liberty's (and probably most others) have a place to bolt them to the floor.  Doesn't make it impossible to remove, but not many burglars are going to put in the time and effort to take a grinder to the bolts under the house.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
When we moved into our house I commandeered the only downstairs closet to put the safe in. We had to take the door off the safe and wheel it into the closet sideways as it would not fit through the door facing out. Once through the door it was wiggled around to face out and the door reinstalled. With a couple of hundred pounds of "stuff" in it, it's gonna be hard to budge. The closet stays locked to prevent any casual exposure of the safe to "outside " people. Safes, buy one, hide it, shut up about it.

NOTE! About a month later I noticed that the plaster in the wall upstairs over the closet was cracking. I got a metal support pole and laminated three 2X4s together long enough to span three floor joists in the basement under the safe. This stopped the problem for me. Just something to think about!

Don in Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top