Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 2:35:52 PM EDT
Am considering purchasing an AR-10 so as to get a .338 Whisper Upper and Suppressor.  Is there any difference between the lower half of an Eagle Arms and an Armalite AR-10?

Also, anyone know if you can simply buy a complete lower AR-10?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's like the difference between Chevy and GMC trucks.  The Armalite uses only the best of the forgings and finishings, while the Eagle gets the rest.  Also, the Armalite comes with a lifetime warranty as opposed to the Eagle's one year warranty.  Armalite doesn't offer their lowers seperately, where Eagle does. My next shooter is going to be an Eagle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, DonR - do you know where I can pick up an Eagle lower?  DO they have a website?  And do you know appx. cost?

I want to make sure that they are identical with regards to being able to swap out Uppers.

Does the quality of the lower have much (if any) effect on accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
See this thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=139978[/url]

Go to [url]www.armalite.com[/url] and look at the FAQ.  Also look in their catalog.

Basically, the difference is the ArmaLite brand has a chromed line barrel, while the Eagle Arms brand has a chrome moly barrel, although it does seem like I saw a stainless barrel on an Eagle recently.

Yes, you can buy a complete or lower Eagle Arms AR10 from ArmaLite.  I can't really tell a difference in the lowers except the brand name.  Perhaps the ArmaLite has a slightly better trigger, but I am not sure about that.  Let's just say that the Eagle Arms lower, or complete rifle, is as good as anything else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Greywolf, you shouldn't have any trouble being able to swap uppers.  Cost on the Eagle stripped lower is $290.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It's "Eagle Arms by ArmaLite." Go to ArmaLite's website for info.

Like Don said, the cream of the production crop get the ArmaLite name and the rest get labeled with the Eagle Arms logo. They are completely compatable because they are the same and come from the same people.

To take Don's analogy further, think;

Chevy Caprice to Chevy Impala,
Ford Galaxy to Ford LTD,
Olds 98 to Olds 88.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can buy a complete AR-10 Eagle lower but mot an ArmaLite lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Armalite sells Eagle Arms stripped lowers, which means that, potentially, anyone can home build an Eagle Arms lower. The Armalite-brand lowers were originally built at the Armalite factory.

I don't see any difference in the stripped lowers. Parts is parts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
DonR - where did you find that price?  I looked all over the Armalite site and didn't find anything other than individual parts for the AR-10.

I wonder if you can buy a complete (no assembly required) Eagle lower, and what the price is?  If not, does anyone know what it would cost me for the stripped lower ($290) and all the other parts I'd need?  Any special tools I need to put together the lower?

Thanks, guys!

Damn, I hope that .338 Whisper upper isn't too expensive.

Anyone know if the AR-10 mags need to be modified for the .338?  I wonder if the converted M-14 mags will work, too?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am considering purchasing an AR-10 so as to get a .338 Whisper Upper and Suppressor.  Is there any difference between the lower half of an Eagle Arms and an Armalite AR-10?

View Quote

Wont the suppressor put you over the "3 evil features" limit?
View Quote

You can't put a suppressor (flash or sound) on a post-ban AR-10.

Now if you were getting an original AR10, it would be different ([url]www.arms-ordnance.com/images/ar10.jpg[/url]).

Detachable mag on a semi-auto "qualifies" it as a assult-weapon. Pistol grip is the one allowable evil-feature on the new AR10's. Any more is a no, no.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DonR - where did you find that price?  I looked all over the Armalite site and didn't find anything other than individual parts for the AR-10.

I wonder if you can buy a complete (no assembly required) Eagle lower, and what the price is?  If not, does anyone know what it would cost me for the stripped lower ($290) and all the other parts I'd need?  Any special tools I need to put together the lower?

Thanks, guys!

Damn, I hope that .338 Whisper upper isn't too expensive.

Anyone know if the AR-10 mags need to be modified for the .338?  I wonder if the converted M-14 mags will work, too?
View Quote

Hunt down Dave at www.quanticoarms.com.  Good guy, for an active duty Marine, and good pricing.
I checked him out with ArmaLite and they give him an A+ and he's an Industry Partner here on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I may be mistaken, but I think he meant NFA type suppressor not a flash suppressor. Do the paperwork and you can put one on whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this right?  Unless I have a pre-ban lower, I can't put an NFA suppressor on it?  I pay $200, get fingerprinted, photographed, etc. and STILL can't but a damn suppressor on it?

Damnit - may have to go with a bolt action then for my suppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is this right?  Unless I have a pre-ban lower, I can't put an NFA suppressor on it?  I pay $200, get fingerprinted, photographed, etc. and STILL can't but a damn suppressor on it?

Damnit - may have to go with a bolt action then for my suppressed rifle.
View Quote

If you have an NFA item, you can put it on a postban.  That includes sound suppressors as well as registered auto sears.  If fact, if I recall correctly, if you put a registered sear in a postban, you can then put all the preban features on that postban.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you lock a 20 round mag into it and then slap a suppressor on?

I don't own an AR-10 so I don't know what problems this would cause.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The others are correct.  Adding a suppressor, even if it the 3 lug type, will be adding up the 3 evil feature and create a "post ban assualt weapon."  If you permanately attached a 10 round magazine, I believe you would be okay, but man that would be a bitch to load!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top