Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 2:06:25 PM EDT
Ok, I wish to draw on the vast knowledge on the boards.  Whats the best thing to get stains, mostly rust and years of other things leaving stains on my driveway.  I would prefer some type of "home remedy" but if there is some chemical which will do the best, then so be it !!
Any advice would be appreciated. [:D]
Thanks
Spectre
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Hydrochloric Acid
- Do not breathe the fumes  
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pressure washer works for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
if you go with an acid i would say muriatic (sp?) acid.  i believe its similar to HCI and easier to obtain.  i would try the pressure washer first brfore you get into etching the concrete.  if you do etch it you should apply some kind of sealer afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Old oil and grease stains can usually be removed with kitty litter/oil absorbant. Lay it on thick and grind it in like your grinding out a cigarette butt. Does anybody still know how to do that? [;)] It may take some effort and a new pair of shoes but the stains will usually come up with no damage to the concrete and it's cheaper and more enviromentally safer than liquid degreasers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a product at Napa one time, it did a good job.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
"Greased Lightning" cleans almost anything especially concrete.[url]www.greased-lightning.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Make a paste of chlorine bleach and baking soda and put it on the stain and let it sit for a while. Then wash off repeat as necessary. The baking soda just keeps the bleach in place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a concrete floor at our auto repair shop and we have been using Dry sweep(kitty litter)for years. Sometimes we use a little simple green and a scrubber for the old stains.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Due to pennatration,I don't believe that you can clean old oil stains on concrete to make it look perfect.
Maybe real clean looking but not perfect.
For a clean up of freshly dumped oil I have never seen anything that comes close to Portland cement.
I found that one out on accident and swear by it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Get some residue free aerosol brake cleaner.

Not eco-friendly stuff, but it works.

(spilled a drain pan full of oil on the apron at the station one night. Kitty litter for the stuff on top, then rags rubbed over, followed by brake cleaner. Chief never noticed next AM)

Tango7
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
well after doing cleanup in a shop for 2 years Ive found floor sweep works best for oil. You have to scrub real good with your foot tho. I wore out a pair of boots in 3 months for that reason. for pait use a real good paint thinner or valspar (is that paint thinner?) dunno what it is but its strong as hell and cleans up well. But so far I cannot find ANYTHING that will clean up oil off of asfault (sp?) If someone could help we with that Id apreciate it. Also brake cleaner works good on anything else metals plastic ect but watch out cause your going to take off the finish with the stain.

Also for rust. Or most anything else if you have a pressure washer (a good one not a home owner model) Something perferably with heat. Hi pressure. We have a karcher pro. at work its the shit. get a spinner turbo tip for it turn up the heat all the way then the pressure all the way then put on safty glasses go over area You will probably chip the surface of the concreate doing this (not badly)
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Oxy-Clean. Isn't this stuff supposed to remove any type of stain from anything?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oxy-Clean. Isn't this stuff supposed to remove any type of stain from anything?
View Quote

I believe oxy wash is for living stains only.. (organic)
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
What are some specific rust stain removers from concrete?  I've got a few of those and always pisses me off to see them!
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Spectre,

what durk says & trust me !!!!!!!!!!! [:D]

use that ol swimmin pool acid..., Muratic Acid, i discovered that by accident, works only on rust stains other stains & strong detergent & pressure washer, i have one if you want to try it......
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Ditto [b]GeorgiaCop[/b], Greased Lightning has worked well for me.  As a matter of fact, it works well as a stain remover for laundry also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
if you go with an acid i would say muriatic (sp?) acid.  i believe its similar to HCI and easier to obtain.  i would try the pressure washer first brfore you get into etching the concrete.  if you do etch it you should apply some kind of sealer afterwards.
View Quote

Muratic Acid and HCL are the exact same thing. Muratic acid (trade name) usually refers to a certain range in molarity of the HCL (plently stong to vaporize the oxidized metal on your concrete.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Make a paste of chlorine bleach and baking soda and put it on the stain and let it sit for a while. Then wash off repeat as necessary. The baking soda just keeps the bleach in place.
View Quote

Good one. That compound is effectively the same as soft-scrub brand cleanser.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mix Chlorine bleach with Windex, then breathe the fumes with long, deep breaths.  Wait for everything to clear up.
View Quote

Why mess with the way diluted Windex when you can use Bleach and Ammonia (20%?)?
2NaOCl + 2NH3 = 2NaONH3 + Cl2.
The gas with it's 7 electrons in the valence shell is ready to react to gain another electron to complete the octet.
Another well-known mixture to make chloramine gas is Ammonia and Comet.

edited to add:
You can also get nitrogen chlorides and hydrazine gases. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mix Chlorine bleach with Windex, then breathe the fumes with long, deep breaths.  Wait for everything to clear up.
View Quote

Clear up?  Yeah.  

"Wow, my driveway is made of gold, now!  And it's leading to those pearly gates over there!  That stuff worked better than I imagined!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
oil stains-portland cement, put on stain, a *little* water, let sit a while, sweep away sand, good to go. (and cheap)
AB
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll have to agree with the acid suggestion.  Hydrochloric acid works the best (just wear rubber gloves, goggles, and a respirator).  It's often sold as "muriatic" acid.  You can pick it up at just about any pool supply store or sometimes Lowes/Home Depot.

You'll also need a stiff push broom to scrub with.  You may want to dilute the acid down with water (25 HCl/75 H2O) to start and then work your way up on the tough stains.  If you get a really tough stain, pour the acid on straight and step back a little (cool green theatrical effect).

When you are done, hose it off (just don't let it run off onto your yard, unless you like yellow grass).

I used to use HCl to clean concrete pools years ago.  Works like a charm and leaves them nice and white.  There's also no etching if you dilute the acid properly and rinse shortly after scrubbing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get some residue free aerosol brake cleaner.

Not eco-friendly stuff, but it works.

(spilled a drain pan full of oil on the apron at the station one night. Kitty litter for the stuff on top, then rags rubbed over, followed by brake cleaner. Chief never noticed next AM)

Tango7
View Quote

Sure, you'll tell that story, but you won't fess up to that little incident where the bay windows just "blew out, all by themselves". I am NEVER, EVER parking next to you again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top