Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2013 7:23:22 AM EDT
so what happens to the unsold bread and milk at stores.  Do they get a credit for it? is it thrown away?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They throw out the bread and put the milk in cottage cheese containers.

They don't throw out bread.  They sell it to the people that make bread crumbs, and croutons.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
At the store I work at we get credit from the distributers if the milk or bread goes out of date.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't throw out bread.  They sell it to the people that make bread crumbs, and croutons.

Yea, ever notice the croutons are always well toasted, gotta get rid onf that green tint somehow.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS.....check the store dumpster for evidence.  Some stores like Aldi throw it away 5 days before the recommended sell date.

Why not donate to food kitchens?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It goes to the same place that 7 year old Twinkies go to.

Bilster

PS
Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Swinestain
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bilster

PS
Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Swinestain

You forgot Pelosi

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't know about milk but bread products go to a thrift store for a couple of days.

My family ran a bakery several years back.  The route salesman would pickup the old while delivering the new.  The store would get credit for whatever didn't sell.  It was basically up to the route salesman to know how much product would sell at any particular store so that overstocking could be minimized.  The old product came back to the plant where we had a thrift store.  A couple of days after that we would rip open the packages and toss them into big bags that farmers would come by and buy for hog feed.  Not much actually got wasted.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#11]
We used to pick it up from the local supermarket, and deliver it to poor people. Then they started issuing credits, and they quit giving it away.

We would pull up in shitty areas every monday in our truck full of milk, bread, and donuts. Almost brings you to tears to see how excited it makes the little Mexican kids who only get milk if we bring it.

Wish I could still do it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#12]

We have a Brownberry bakery in town here, with an outlet store for all of those brands. They must have stuff get pulled from shelves close to the sell by date and sent to the outlet, everything at the outlet has about 1-5 days before it expires. I've seen loaves of bread that are normally $4.29 go for $1.49 and Entenmann's snack pies for as little as 25¢ each.

I believe they donate a bunch to the food pantry and St. Vincent de Paul as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bilster

PS
Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Swinestain

You forgot Pelosi

And Boomberg
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Around here you will see pickups loaded to running over where pig farmers buy it for a few cents to be fed to there hogs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of farmers (pig and chicken) buy it in bulk and feed it to stock.  Also, old bread is often sold to fish hatcherys to feed fish as well.  Many fast food chains do this aswell to get back some of what they lose on food waste.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Its the same here I would go to merita and buy a rack of out of date bread for 5 bucks and feed it to my chickens. I also know a guy who would go and get all the snack cakes and use it the to bait bear.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#17]
bacon farm
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Worked as a stock/bag boy in a grocery store and was in charge of dairy products.

Honestly, the question never came up. We sold everything. Think the dairy guy came every two days or so. Occasionally we would run out for a few hours before he showed up.

This was a small family owned store.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Around here they sell it to hog farmers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
check the store dumpster for evidence.  Some stores like Aldi throw it away 5 days before the recommended sell date.

Why not donate to food kitchens?

cos if it's gone bad then you look like a jerk for making the homeless sick.  And then your company is liable for the medical bills.

Plus many manufacturers give you credit for tossed merchandise, so if they find out you give it away and claim it was thrown out you can get in legal trouble.

then again if you want to donate to food kitchens you can always buy stuff to donate to them yourself too.  Can't cry foul on the grocery store for not doing it if we're not doing it either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top