Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2013 1:05:36 AM EDT
For all my 2nd amendment friends, I want you to start using this term in place of assault rifle. HOMELAND DEFENSE RIFLE. Assault means to attack, defense to defend. I do not have a rifle to attack anyone but I do have one to defend my family, myself, my values, and my country. Do NOT let the liberals brand or change the meaning of what you really have by calling it assault anymore. Typical liberal tactic, control the words to control the definition, and thereby change the meaning. When conversing with liberals or for that matter anyone from this point forward, you do not have an assault rifle, you have a HOMELAND DEFENSE RIFLE. After all that is what it really is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I can agree with this!

(BTW, I always say "semi-auto rifle", not "assault rifle".)

FUCK LIBTARDS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't own any icky assault rifles.

Only my Colt AR15 Homeland Defense Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This is like when people put the disclamer in front of their names.  You know the (ethnic blah blah bs)-American.

So why are we so compelled to id something more than what it already is?  Do we start calling them HOMELAND DEFENSE shotguns? HOMELAND DEFENSE axe? HOMELAND DEFENSE shovel?

Oh that's right the lefto's came up with a purtty little name now we have to come up w/ our own.

Fuck Them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
HDR > EBR.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Homeland Defense Rifle.

I kind of like that name.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Well when the fed gov buys them they're called "Personal Defense Weapons".
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is like when people put the disclamer in front of their names.  You know the (ethnic blah blah bs)-American.

So why are we so compelled to id something more than what it already is?  Do we start calling them HOMELAND DEFENSE shotguns? HOMELAND DEFENSE axe? HOMELAND DEFENSE shovel?

Oh that's right the lefto's came up with a purtty little name now we have to come up w/ our own.

Fuck Them.

Maybe we could say "semi-auto rifle.......you know what you DUMBFUCK libtards call an assault rifle"?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's take a page out of the DHS playbook:

How about "PERSONAL DEFENSE RIFLE/SHOTGUN/HANDGUN"
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
You know, one thing that gets me is the name "AR-15" or "AR-10," with the name being "Armalite Rifle."  Now I don't know about any of you but when I show my non-gun owning friends (not antis) my ARs, their first assumption is that "AR" means "Assualt Rifle" and I end up having to explain to them that's not true.  The name is deceiving to the uneducated.

But, I'm on board with this.  My 2 HDR's are here to stay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
no offense, but that just sounds weird
this whole politically correct naming thing is dumb.

I just call it a fighting rifle or combat rifle, if not just a rifle or carbine...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll do "Home Defense" instead of "Homeland Defense"

"Homeland" sounds a bit Third Reich...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Meh, 'rifle' works for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I reject the term "homeland."
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I reject the term "homeland."

How about "America's Defense Rifle"?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Good ole Oly Arms had the PCR way back in the first AWB. Politically Correct Rifle. They were happy to thead the barrel for you as soon as the AWB expired
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll keep my assault rifle, thanks.

If I need it, I'll be assaulting the shit out of someone with it, as violently as possible.

A shield is a defensive tool, a firearm is an offensive projection of force.

I am allowed by human right, and by law of land, to enforce my rights using projected lethal force. I don't need to rename it, because I'm doing nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#17]
It may sound dumb, but it's the way you win over the minds of the non gun oriented public. Controlling the language that people speak has always been a successful tactic in the battleground of the mind since the dawn of man. Language affects thought, and if one side uses frightening or aggressive words to describe something, and it is not challenged by using a more peaceful word or words, the public will tend to stand against it.

If you don't think this works, look at any legislation that's passed. Even things that restrict rights are named as though the free up something or protect something. Look at products you buy.

Control language, control thought. Control thought, control debate. Control debate, control votes. Control votes, control legislation.

The left perfected this tactic in the 60s, and we are where we are. It is time for us to fight back.

One other thing we have to do, is to encourage our children to become educators. The left took complete control of education in the 70s, and they have bred a controllable generation or two of sheep. They get these kids for six hours a day, 180 days a year, for 13 years K-12. Then they go off to college for more hardened indoctrination. These people get of age and start to vote, and they vote heavily liberal because of it.

We waste a lot of time converting them that we wouldn't have to if their education was at least balanced.

I like the term Homeland Defense Rifle.

Or maybe LDR-Liberty Defense Rifle

Or maybe FDR-Freedom Defense Ri---- Oh wait screw that, no FDR crap. May FR-15 Freedom Rifle. Or FPR -Freedom Preservation Rifle

Whatever it is, we need to come up with something, and stick to it, and spread it.

OP, I have a mission for you.

Start another thread, or add to your title in this one, and ask for suggestions. What we can do is take the top ten best ones, and then you can start a new thread with a poll. As a group here, we can vote on it. Then start referring to them as that. Post references on facebook as well. Get it out there.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It may sound dumb, but it's the way you win over the minds of the non gun oriented public. Controlling the language that people speak has always been a successful tactic in the battleground of the mind since the dawn of man. Language affects thought, and if one side uses frightening or aggressive words to describe something, and it is not challenged by using a more peaceful word or words, the public will tend to stand against it.

If you don't think this works, look at any legislation that's passed. Even things that restrict rights are named as though the free up something or protect something. Look at products you buy.

Control language, control thought. Control thought, control debate. Control debate, control votes. Control votes, control legislation.

The left perfected this tactic in the 60s, and we are where we are. It is time for us to fight back.

One other thing we have to do, is to encourage our children to become educators. The left took complete control of education in the 70s, and they have bred a controllable generation or two of sheep. They get these kids for six hours a day, 180 days a year, for 13 years K-12. Then they go off to college for more hardened indoctrination. These people get of age and start to vote, and they vote heavily liberal because of it.

We waste a lot of time converting them that we wouldn't have to if their education was at least balanced.

I like the term Homeland Defense Rifle.

Or maybe LDR-Liberty Defense Rifle

Or maybe FDR-Freedom Defense Ri---- Oh wait screw that, no FDR crap. May FR-15 Freedom Rifle. Or FPR -Freedom Preservation Rifle

Whatever it is, we need to come up with something, and stick to it, and spread it.

OP, I have a mission for you.

Start another thread, or add to your title in this one, and ask for suggestions. What we can do is take the top ten best ones, and then you can start a new thread with a poll. As a group here, we can vote on it. Then start referring to them as that. Post references on facebook as well. Get it out there.

Yep. Fight fire with fire.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I just call it what it is.  An AR-15.  Or a .308 AR.  Or a .45 with a suppressor and da beamz.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll just call them My Rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll do "Home Defense" instead of "Homeland Defense"

"Homeland" sounds a bit Third Reich...

This.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Modern Sporting Rifle

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#23]
AR works for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:32:28 AM EDT
[#24]
PDW or MSR.

Though I prefer terms like "rifle" or "carbine."
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I like LaRue's "All-Purpose Rifle" idea.  

But like Taboot,  I just refer to them as "my rifle".
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I've noticed that when the police have them they're usually referred to as "tactical rifles."

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I prefer not to add anymore padding to the lives of Obama loving gun hating retards. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#28]
That's how your average voter, low-information voter makes decisions. "Assault weapon ... sounds scary! I wouldn't want a bad guy having something with a name like that, better outlaw them."

We all do that, though, because none of us are experts in everything. We make decisions based on immediate impressions. I try to read and research issues as much as possible but it's hard and we all have lives, we can't spend all day reading about political debates.

That's why politicians should be held to a higher standard. Ideally they would be highly-educated and well-versed in a wide variety of subjects so that they can make the right decisions in areas that they aren't necessarily experts in. Fat chance of that, I know.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I call them "self-loading rifles" like the Brits called teh FAL.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#30]
They're semi-automatic sporting rifles. Not assault rifles. Obammy can call them whatever he wants but even he knows, they're losing traction. Fuck 'em all. No bans, no additional background checks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe the short sightedness of some people posting in this thread.

Some of you wouldn't change a couple words in your vocabulary to help win over the moderate fence sitters to help gun rights? No wonder the anti-gunners have made the progress they have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some of you wouldn't change a couple words in your vocabulary to help win over the moderate fence sitters to help gun rights? No wonder the anti-gunners have made the progress they have.

because it's fucking stupid and ridiculously transparent.    This is 50x worse than "freedom fries"
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#33]
FREEDOM FRIES!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because it's fucking stupid and ridiculously transparent.    This is 50x worse than "freedom fries"

Take it easy.......breathe deeply, exhale.........breathe deeply, exhale..........repeat.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't own any icky assault rifles.

Only my Colt AR15 Homeland Defense Rifle.

Im in!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I am personally fond of Tom Gresham's Modern Sporting Rifles. I usually just call it a rifle or semi-auto rifle. The name game is for the uninformed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I like General Purpose Rifle better.

Or Self Defense.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#38]
meh, sport utility rifle is better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:54:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No , what is stupid is knowing that there is an effective way to fight the enemy, and not making a tiny effort to do it. It doesn't matter how stupid it sounds. The fact is, words mean things, and affect people's emotions and their views on things. It especially makes a difference in the minds of the people we are trying to sway, people we know are not going to sit through our logical thesis on why these guns are ok for us to have. They don't know the constitution, and will never bother with learning it, or any other myriad of things they need to know, but they will go out and vote, and they will cancel your well educated vote out.

When you are stuck in one of the states that has banned every damn thing, you'll be wishing you'd taken the easy, stupid way out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:00:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No , what is stupid is knowing that there is an effective way to fight the enemy, and not making a tiny effort to do it. It doesn't matter how stupid it sounds. The fact is, words mean things, and affect people's emotions and their views on things. It especially makes a difference in the minds of the people we are trying to sway, people we know are not going to sit through our logical thesis on why these guns are ok for us to have. They don't know the constitution, and will never bother with learning it, or any other myriad of things they need to know, but they will go out and vote, and they will cancel your well educated vote out.

When you are stuck in one of the states that has banned every damn thing, you'll be wishing you'd taken the easy, stupid way out.

The shooting community has been correcting the misnomers of "assault rifle" for more than 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That is what needs to be the correct terminology

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what needs to be the correct terminology  

I agree. Mine are "rifles" or "carbines," but when placed in the role of being used as such - PDW fits.

I will refer anyone who argues to the DHS RFP. And add that mine do not have the group therapy switch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#43]
"American Rifle"
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#44]
They're my guns , and they cant have them .
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Modern Sporting Rifle

This
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Either we can define them....or the left can define them.

Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Modern Sporting Rifle

This one is the worst. It plays directly into the antis' argument that the Second Amendment is about sport.

I call my AR15s, AKs,  and othe semiautos "rifles."
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I understand the noble purpose behind the use of HDR instead of Assault Rifle, but I think the fewer labels the better. Countering one term by using another seems contrived and defensive. To me, it's like using the dusty old say "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Although the statement is true I've found that it usually causes gun grabbers or those who do not understand the debate to roll their eyes.

I call them my rifles. Some are stamped Ar15 some M4 and one M16 but they are all rifles and none of them are assault rifles.

"Assault" is a verb. It's an action term. I don't assault anyone or anything with my rifles. If I shoot someone in self defense I still haven't assaulted them.

My first go to gun for home protection is my .45 pistol. I don't call it my homeland or home defense pistol. It's just a pistol.

If someone asks why or what I need my guns, I typically say for self defense and I rarely say hunting. If asked about my NFA guns I call them investments and that's exactly what they are.

I don't typically engage with anti's but I once defend another guy at a party. He was allowing some crazy woman beat him up over owning an Assault arifle. He would try to defend himself, but she kept saying, "but it's and assault rifle"  I asked her if it were called a Warning rifle or a save my wife from getting raped rifle if she would feel any differently about it. Of course she said no.

Everyone is different and I certainly respect everyone's right and desire to use whatever term they choose. Rifle just seems to be the best term in my opinion. Rifle (in this context) is a noun.  It's an amoral tool. It has no desire of its own. If one of my rifles suddenly expresses the need to verb someone then I'll sell it so I don't end up in prison getting verbed in my noun hole.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I just call it MY rifle. its mine and they cant have it. thats all they need to know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top