Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2002 4:53:41 PM EDT

I have a 79 1 ton GMC pickup I've been building

I have removed the 8 foot factory bed and am installing a commercial 9 foot diamond plate steel flatbed

I have removed the 1 ton single wheel rear end to swap it with a dually 1 ton rear end I bought from a salvage yard.  The new rear end comes from a newer model that had an automatic transmission

Are the gears in this new rear end going to be too small for my 4 speed standard?

I have a feeling they are not the same gears the more I think about it..  [rolleyes]

Anyone?   Thanks..  

Edited to add, the existing 4 speed standard transmission is with granny gear...  so I might as well call it a 3 speed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the rear ends ratio. Also which trans is that 4 speed a Borg Warner
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the rear ends ratio. Also which trans is that 4 speed a Borg Warner
View Quote

I have no idea what the ratio is with my existing rear or the new one... or what make the tranny is..  it's a 1 ton with a 350 engine
(all brand new by the way)
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
This site shows where to look to get the axle code:
[url]http://www.trailquest.com/axles/jeep-axle-specs.shtml[/url]
Its probably a Dana 60. Once that is done just look up what that rear end had for gears on the net. Do the same for the tranny. Hope this helps.
              -Ryan
Edited to add:
Here is how you figure out the gear ratio:
[url]http://www.trailquest.com/gears/gear_ratio.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the HD 1-ton dually rears had decent gears in them, regardless of the trans...

My '97 Dually had 4.11's in it...

If your 4 speed trans has a granny gear, it will make up for any difference in ratios...

My '94 Suburban has a 1-ton rear in it (All Big Blocks had 14-bolt 1-ton rears) and has 3.73 gears in it...

Personally, I'd be more concerned about whether it has a posi in it or not...

Duallys don't like to pull out uphill on wet roads...
ESPECIALLY non-posi dually trucks...

If your truck had a 1-ton rear in it already, I believe you can just put the dually rims and fenders on the back...

Can't do it with the 3/4 ton rear...
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]

thanks Slacker.. I dont think it's a Dana..  all my international trucks had dana's in them..  killer rears if I must say so..

I will pull off the pumkin cover and count the teeth...  considering the modifications invloved with installing the new rear... I might be better off finding another rear from the same drive train set up.. [:(]  
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most of the HD 1-ton dually rears had decent gears in them, regardless of the trans...

My '97 Dually had 4.11's in it...

If your 4 speed trans has a granny gear, it will make up for any difference in ratios...

My '94 Suburban has a 1-ton rear in it (All Big Blocks had 14-bolt 1-ton rears) and has 3.73 gears in it...

Personally, I'd be more concerned about whether it has a posi in it or not...

Duallys don't like to pull out uphill on wet roads...
ESPECIALLY non-posi dually trucks...

If your truck had a 1-ton rear in it already, I believe you can just put the dually rims and fenders on the back...

Can't do it with the 3/4 ton rear...
View Quote

Dragracer..  I didnt think that would work just switching rims.. the bolt patterns are different. bigger lugs on the dually.  My existing rear is starting to humm...  so I need a change out anyway. I will check into that though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't find anything on the net about my problem...   I assume that I can change the gears later if I need too... thanks for the info guys  [:)]

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The info should be available on theh web. The dually rear is from what year and with what motor? list displacement and if gas or diesel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Buddy.....I do this stuff for a living......every day.......e-mail me with your questions.....so-far.....sounds like you have no [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't have to count teeth. Just put it up on jack stands and see how many times (plus fractional times) the drive shaft turns for one rotation of the wheel to figure out gear ratio.
Though most have little tags on one of the bolts near the top that tell you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
1990 transmission
New 350 motor
198? dually rear end

black and green  email on the way.. [:)]

andrewh...  I'll look for these tags you speak of..[:)]

edited to add...  gas engine...  
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say the same about counting the rotation of shaft to wheels. From what I can tell you should have no problem. You should go with a Automatic and Gear ratio would not be a problem. The biggest thing I could see is the length of drive shaft or if the Rear Mounts and shocks all line up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't have to count teeth. Just put it up on jack stands and see how many times (plus fractional times) the drive shaft turns for one rotation of the wheel to figure out gear ratio.
Though most have little tags on one of the bolts near the top that tell you.
View Quote

I agree this is the simplest technique...
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was going to say the same about counting the rotation of shaft to wheels. From what I can tell you should have no problem. You should go with a Automatic and Gear ratio would not be a problem. The biggest thing I could see is the length of drive shaft or if the Rear Mounts and shocks all line up.
View Quote

edpmedic,  yes..  nothing lines up with the new rear end.. those are the modifications I mentioned..

I see no tags hanging on a top bolt for specs...  

[b]I was just wondering if an automatic transmission came with different rearend gears than a manual transmission...[/b]

I am staying with the 4 speed maunual transmission and am now installing a new flywheel and gear, HD Luke clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and bushy [;)]

The new rear end is wider(longer?) than my existing which is fine with the new bed.

And thank you all, the count of the rotations is a good idea...   counting the yoke verses the hub as both rears are off the truck..  :rolleyes:  duh realist [:)]

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#16]
To use all six same wheels requires different front hubs too, I believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top