Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Watching my mom lose herself the last two weeks of her life is one of the hardest things I have ever been through. 5 year later and I still dream of her sick more than I do of her well. Bless you and your family. I hope he doesn't suffer long.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched my Dad die from lung cancer back in the Fall of 2005..........fuckin' awful.

Hang in there, OP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Cancer is a tough way to go.....try to stay tough. Hang with them while they take their journey, it's a hard thing to witness. Try to be strong but don't hold back you emotions, you are human and compassion is a good human trait. Is gonna be a hard road but remember for them that even though the journey is hard and painful they will be at peace an endure pain no more. Prayers for you and yours......been through my own share of cancer in my family and witnessed it first hand. Good luck and Godspeed!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Hospice is a fantastic operation.  Take advantage of everything.  Your assigned case nurse is actually an angel.  

It's a very surreal experience when you go through this.  You'll be fine.  He'll be fine.  Neither of you are the first nor will be the last to travel this path.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.  I have said many myself, asking for swiftness and painlessness.

I know my love of firearms was given to me by my dad.  I always felt,, though, as a dumb teenager and young adut that if I didn't spend what money I earned on something shooting related, he thought it was just a waste.  However, he liked my hotrod years.  I know he used to race, a lot.  We did spend quite a bit of time the last 10 years shooting and hunting.  I wish I had seen the Alz earlier and not assumed he was just being careless around firearms.  I did get to teach him a few things that made him safer, and those around him.

Wes
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My gf said take full advantage of any words spoken. Her mom we pretty much unresponsive during her last few months.
Any words spoken towards the end were wonderful memories.
The last time she heard her talk was during her last week.
My gf burped and her mom (normally unresponsive) said, "Heyyyy!" As if she should be more lady like.
It is a wonderful memory, because she had gone weeks without a word!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I lost my dad on November 29th to lung cancer. What you are describing is exactly what my dads last days were like. It may be a good idea just to camp out there instead of going home, the end is very near my friend. You want to be there when he passes, it's quite peaceful and you will have no regrets about being there. He can still hear you. Keep talking to him, sit in the bed with him, tell him about all the things you are thankful for and how much you love him...  

Pull strength from everyone around you in the coming days and weeks, you are going to need it.  Take care.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm somewhat aware of your situation thru OATT.  You and your father are in my thoughts.  

Jane
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure that someone, or as many of you as can, are there with him.

My wife's father passed away under very similar circumstances.  We were taking turns staying awake and keeping an eye on him during his last days.
He passed quietly away on my watch.  My wife said he liked me and she feels he chose that time to slip away.
We both helped the hospice nurse bathe him prior to the funeral home picking him up.  

It is good that you are there for him at this time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hospice is a fantastic operation.  Take advantage of everything.  Your assigned case nurse is actually an angel.  

It's a very surreal experience when you go through this.  You'll be fine.  He'll be fine.  Neither of you are the first nor will be the last to travel this path.

Nailed it.

They have been there done that.  For me that was a very useful resource just from the what to expect standpoint.  I didn't/don't need them for the grieving process, but the whole dying process of my mother was new to me and they were a big help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I know it's tough, but hang in there.
Yes, that's what someone who doesn't have death immediately come experiences.  The medications, the sleepiness, the morphine or similar to keep the pain away.
I slept on the hospital floor, for a couple of nights, as my Mom was put in hospice a few years ago.  She had lung cancer, which was eventually going to take her life anyway, but pneumonia  came and took her earlier.  It was probably a blessing, but still very painful to watch.  She had one trump card if the cancer had ever gotten really bad in that she was dependent on dialysis, and could have stopped that, and passed that way naturally if she had to.

Best wishes to you and your family in the mean time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My father died a little over a year ago...your story is almost carbon copy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

They have been there done that.  For me that was a very useful resource just from the what to expect standpoint.  I didn't/don't need them for the grieving process, but the whole dying process of my mother was new to me and they were a big help.

This. The hospice girls were an absolute Godsend.  It's the only "charity" that gets my money.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm praying for you and your father.  

I've got to ask, has he heard the Gospel, does he believe that Jesus Christ died for his sins, was buried according to Scriptures and was raised to life and appeared to the Apostles?  I don't know if you believe in the resurrection of the dead or not but this is the end, we're all going to the same end, please consider reading 1 Corinthians 15 to your dad, please, it cannot possibly do any harm, there is hope for all of us.  I'll be praying and hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would like to believe she is but feel more like she is in training to be.  Dad fell a couple weeks ago and wound up with staples in the back of his head, 6 of them.  I think she intentionall avoided removing them and found out why when she tried.  As she began I questioned how she was positionng the removal tool, a 3 jawwed plier that "unbends" the staple.  She was putting the sigle jaw on the bottom and the double jaw on top of the staple.  Twice she squeezed one of the staples the wrong way and my dad, with eyes closed let out a "Goddam son of a bitch" and grabbed his head.  I told her to stop and showed her she was actually embedding the staples further.  I am not fainthearted in the least and took over.  Yeah, the others came out easily enough but not totally pain free.  The one she jacked up had to be center cut with a pair of dykes and removed.  She said she has been a RN for 27  years and would gladly consider me educated enough to add the letters behind my name.  Meh, just a little mechanical thought and execution.  I have removed quite a few stitches over the years, so no big deal to me.

I told dad I was sorry for hurting him and he said not to worry about it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to believe she is but feel more like she is in training to be.  Dad fell a couple weeks ago and wound up with staples in the back of his head, 6 of them.  I think she intentionall avoided removing them and found out why when she tried.  As she began I questioned how she was positionng the removal tool, a 3 jawwed plier that "unbends" the staple.  She was putting the sigle jaw on the bottom and the double jaw on top of the staple.  Twice she squeezed one of the staples the wrong way and my dad, with eyes closed let out a "Goddam son of a bitch" and grabbed his head.  I told her to stop and showed her she was actually embedding the staples further.  I am not fainthearted in the least and took over.  Yeah, the others came out easily enough but not totally pain free.  The one she jacked up had to be center cut with a pair of dykes and removed.  She said she has been a RN for 27  years and would gladly consider me educated enough to add the letters behind my name.  Meh, just a little mechanical thought and execution.  I have removed quite a few stitches over the years, so no big deal to me.

I told dad I was sorry for hurting him and he said not to worry about it.

She sounds like an angel to me.

Hang in there, my man.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
A niece passed after fighting cancer for 5 years

Its not easy
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A niece passed after fighting cancer for 5 years

Its not easy

What you have described is exactly how mom passed away with pancreatic cancer.

Dad had ALS and we watched him go over a course of 4 years. He never suffered, but it was hard watching him go downhill. It started in his arms and slowly consumed his mobility.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PS - We can discuss anything at all in this thread and I will probably walk myself through my life with him as well.

Since you said this I want to add something. You may not have to deal with it, but you should be prepared if it does happen. My dad was on some serious morphine when he passed and about 10 hours or so before he died he got this intense boost of energy for about 20 minutes. It was really strange, and along with it came some pretty serious delusions. If he starts talking to your mom, grandparents or anyone else who has already passed as though they are in the room, just let him go... do not tell him they aren't there, let him believe anything that comforts him.  For all we know, they could really be there...

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I lost my dad on November 29th to lung cancer. What you are describing is exactly what my dads last days were like. It may be a good idea just to camp out there instead of going home, the end is very near my friend. You want to be there when he passes, it's quite peaceful and you will have no regrets about being there. He can still hear you. Keep talking to him, sit in the bed with him, tell him about all the things you are thankful for and how much you love him...  

Pull strength from everyone around you in the coming days and weeks, you are going to need it.  Take care.

This^^^

It is so important that you talk to him and let him know it is OK to go. When my dad passed, it was the most peaceful incredible experience. I miss him terribly, but i'll see him again I hope, in the meantime I know that he is in a great place.

The Hospice nurses are angels on earth.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS - We can discuss anything at all in this thread and I will probably walk myself through my life with him as well.

Since you said this I want to add something. You may not have to deal with it, but you should be prepared if it does happen. My dad was on some serious morphine when he passed and about 10 hours or so before he died he got this intense boost of energy for about 20 minutes. It was really strange, and along with it came some pretty serious delusions. If he starts talking to your mom, grandparents or anyone else who has already passed as though they are in the room, just let him go... do not tell him they aren't there, let him believe anything that comforts him.  For all we know, they could really be there...

Yep. My Mom went through a period of dementia and even psychosis. She thought the FBI was talking to her through her TV at one point.

But on our very last visit, she was completely lucid, like she was back to her old self. It was a good visit.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Had to have a long talk with my oldest girl about why it may not be a good idea for her to see pawpaw the way he is now.  She is 10 and I hope we made the right choice for her.  She is rightfully upset and doesn't want him to go.  We try to be honest with her and explain that letting him go is what he needs.  She has plenty (maybe not in her opinion) of memories that we hope not to override.  I asked if she wanted to make him a card and that seemed to help.  Maybe a video I can show him.

Not much water intake so far today.  Stiffness from being in bed is presenting when we move him. Noticed a bit more shaking.  

We looked at a bunch of old pictures and reminisced a little while.  The aide is in cleaning him up so I am sure he will be tired and sleeping shortly.

My wife mentioned the morphine rush that can happen.  Her grandmother experienced it in her last days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Sadly yes. If you are lucky enough for him to have a period that he is lucid and talking try to get anyone there that wants to say good-bye since that is not uncommon a few hours to a day before death.

From the professional side make sure no one calls 911 when he passes, call hospice and let them make arrangements. As a medic I find sometimes hospice leaves out what to do when they actually pass. I've had family call 911 not knowing what else to do and when we get there if there isn't any Do Not Resuscitate paperwork we have to work the patient like any other full arrest. The local protocols there might not suck as bad as ours but it can put the medics in a bad spot wanting to follow the families wishes and possible getting their license yanked.

Prayers for your family
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry OP

The thought of losing my dad tears me up inside
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes. Once a man stops eating and sleeps almost all the time that is the sign he will cross the River soon. Strangley, many times they will have one really good day right before they go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Prayers for you and your family. May GOD comfort all of you. AMEN.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Just went through this last week with a family member.

IV's and O2 can keep them alive, morphine for pain, but at some point it's just their time.

It helps if you tell them "it's ok to go, and I'll take care of _____" - even if they can't acknowledge you verbally, sometimes that's what they need.

Pulse ox (usually not used in hospice) can be an indicator of when they are starting to go, but some go quick and others...

When a family member passes, you now have the rest of the family to take care of. Stay strong. You can do it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Hospice has made us pretty informed of things procedurally after passing.  

Was just in talking to him about killing my first deer some years back.  We were in a blind together and I shot a doe and he shot a spike.  I always wondered why he didn't let me shoot the buck, years later I assumed he wanted my first buck to be better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IV's and O2 can keep them alive, morphine for pain, but at some point it's just their time.

It helps if you tell them "it's ok to go, and I'll take care of _____" - even if they can't acknowledge you verbally, sometimes that's what they need.

Pulse ox (usually not used in hospice) can be an indicator of when they are starting to go, but some go quick and others...

When a family member passes, you now have the rest of the family to take care of. Stay strong. You can do it.

We're actually very conflicted about this because with the Alzheimers, it's impossible to tell how much he really grasps.  We're not sure he's even aware of the siutation.  The fear is that saying it aloud will come as a shock to him and upset him.  

As far as I know, he hasn't acknowledged that he's dying and even during his cancer treatment when he was still mostly *there* mentally, he never seemed to really *get* the situation.  He always discussed it in terms of just treating it and then he'd be on his way.  Makes it tough.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes!  I lost my 19 yr old son two weeks ago today.

To op hang in there and be strong. To mrzip and op prayers to you both. I hate seeing bad things happen to good people.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're actually very conflicted about this because with the Alzheimers, it's impossible to tell how much he really grasps.  We're not sure he's even aware of the siutation.  The fear is that saying it aloud will come as a shock to him and upset him.  

As far as I know, he hasn't acknowledged that he's dying and even during his cancer treatment when he was still mostly *there* mentally, he never seemed to really *get* the situation.  He always discussed it in terms of just treating it and then he'd be on his way.  Makes it tough.  

You'll know when it's time. It will be after he is no longer talking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll know when it's time. It will be after he is no longer talking.

You're probably right.  I was there when my grandmother passed but she knew and was very ready to go.  Very different situation.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my 21mo son just over 2 years ago. If you ever need to talk, feel free to shoot me an IM.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my 21mo son just over 2 years ago. If you ever need to talk, feel free to shoot me an IM.

To those of you who have lost children, my heart goes out to you.  Too many of you here (not only in this thread) to mention personally but know that some of us out there think of you and your beautiful children often.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#37]
My father died of liver failure from Hep C. His death was pretty much exactly what you described, except that it took my father longer to die. It is awful to watch someone deteriorate the way that my father did. During his illness, he went from a healthy 50 year old man to a sickly man who looked about 90.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just have to take your cue from him.  Strange as it seems, he is the one leading you now.  

Prayers sent for him and you and your family.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I lost my stepfather to cancer 2 weeks ago. Near the end it was a lot like you're describing. He was too weak to get out of bed, couldn't eat, and was in a lot of pain. We gave him morphine for the pain and he gradually started waking up to talk to us less and less.

Once you can start hearing him breathe "junky" because he's unable to clear his throat, you'll know he's close. It's called the death rattle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  Make sure you comfort him and keep telling him everything is taken care of and that you guys will be ok.  Let him know its ok to let go when he feels its time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather went through something similar. The cancer spread to his brain; chemo did not help, and he went home. The hospice nurses freaked out because his gun cabinet was in his bedroom which contained a couple shotguns and a few rifles. One of the nurses refused to go in with the guns in the gun cabinet. While I was carrying one of the guns out of his room, he came out of his slumber, looked up and saw me. He said something to my aunt about being in a war zone - he was in Europe in WW2 and after seeing me with a gun in my hand thought he was still there. The cancer got him 2 months after it was discovered. I f---ing hate cancer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I went through the last two weeks of my dad's life while he was dying from cancer (began in his lung).  I was prepared for the physical checkout, but not the mental one.  Once they started giving him ativan (sp?), I no longer knew him.  It got to the point where I couldn't take care of him (it was killing me) and he spent his last three days in the hospice facility.  Basically, they loaded him up on ativan and morphine so that he would no longer fight death.  It was ugly but it could have been worse.  Rather than writhing in pain, he was basically comatose.  

Hang in there, it will be over soon and this won't erase the good times.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Similar circumstances here without the cancer. Grandfather had pretty much everything else, though. He was in hospice for what seemed like 6 months. The decision was my Grandmothers, as his decline was taking her down as well. She just needed the help. I chose not to see him in those final times, mostly out of a selfish need to remember him stronger. I don't regret it - we both knew where we stood.  He had what could only be described as a stroke some years back, so he hadn't spoken in years (at least not enough to matter).   Be glad you have what you've got.

I feel personally like I had time to grieve for him while he was still living, so when he died it wasn't AS crushing as I thought it might be. Either way, it was unpleasant from any perspective.

Good luck in the coming days. It will take strength and faith to get you through it all. Hang tough.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sir, I posted a thread last week about a similar situation.  I found the words of advice and encouragement helpful.  I can only tell you to search for a thread titled "Grief".    I don't want to link it here because this thread is about the OPs father.

SEXTshooter (OP), as already answered, yes, this is what a human shutting down looks like.  My mother went through this two years ago, but without the cancer.  Just dementia taking away her cognition.

My prayers are with you.

HG.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes my friend, a slow death is a train wreck mentally as well as physically.
My dad passed away in 2005 at the hospice center. Gut wrenching.
I got thru it as well as my family.

My mom was just told she has breast cancer again--- she has already had and beaten it to submission twice.
I see a tough row to hoe coming for myself. When my dad was sick she did the majority of care for him, now it's just me to handle it.
This is a perfect example of when being a only child,never married,kid less really does not pay dividends.

I'm stronger now though and I will step up and be there for my mom--ain't gonna be easy but like I said I'm way stronger mentally after my dads ordeal.

I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you and yours.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#47]
My Mother passed away from Cancer. Be strong it's a tough road.

And yes, this is what dying looks like in slow motion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, I posted a thread last week about a similar situation.  I found the words of advice and encouragement helpful.  I can only tell you to search for a thread titled "Grief".    I don't want to link it here because this thread is about the OPs father.

SEXTshooter (OP), as already answered, yes, this is what a human shutting down looks like.  My mother went through this two years ago, but without the cancer.  Just dementia taking away her cognition.

My prayers are with you.

HG.

We buried a dear friend yesterday who went through the same process of dementia as your mom.   My friend's daughter couldn't understand why her mom was sleeping so much toward the end.  I knew but said nothing.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is this what dying really looks like?

Wes

Yes.  You just described it to a T.  I was able to hold my mother's hand as she took her last breath.  I was glad to be there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My heart breaks for you, my brother.  I lost a 17-year-old son.  The rest of the world will never understand people like you and me.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top