Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2002 6:37:31 AM EDT
There's been a rash of car break-ins at my apartment complex lately; its been happening every week or so since late july on weekends or sometimes during the week. Smashing car windows etc.. I woke up this morning to hearing a girl cry outside my window cuz her car was broken into last night; my friendly neighbors, two seperate cars, got broken into on friday night. Some have filed police reports, some haven't. The landlord is aware of the situation, but says there's nothing he can do about it. I actually work for him part-time as a receptionist and like the guy very much, but isn't there something more he could be doing? I have lived here since november and we never had any crime before.. These damn criminals are really starting to piss me off!! My bf is contemplating playing vigilante one night and baiting these guys; I think its a bad idea.. What can I do?? What can the cops/landlord do? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I wish there was a way to get rid of criminals in general for good..Seriously if we have to make more prisons, so be it, atleast they'd be off of the streets..I am beginning to believe once a criminal always a criminal.. This is not that start of a good week..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing is where to move?? I am already paying one of the highest prices for a one bedroom apartment as it is.. No, there isn't a security guard on premises. Problem is I have heard that other parts of the town have had these break-in problems as well! I'm used to NY, where I grew up, where the crime was isolated to only certain (ghetto) areas. Down here it seems to be everywhere! Maybe its cuz its a huge college town, who knows.. I can't move out of town because one it would be inconvient and two there's nothing outside of town but doublewides... So this problem probably is never gonna get better?? My lease is up in november, so I'm considering moving somewhere else..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You can bait all you want, but you can't set a trap.  That means, no flamethrowers, leg amputators or other niceties you'd find in South Africa!  

My suggestion would be to camp out somewhere dark in the parking lot for the night.  Your BF should be accompanied by atleat one other - ARMED.  If a perp shows up, they should make sure they have a perp head count, then they should advance with guns drawn until a surrender.  They can get in deep shit for saying they are cops, but it might save them a gun fight if the perps think they are only vigilantes.

Oh yeah, I bet you its someone that lives in your complex or the landlord himself.  Tell noone.  

Want good bait?  Find a friend with a suped up car, they usually think it has a nice radio.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can bait all you want, but you can't set a trap.  That means, no flamethrowers, leg amputators or other niceties you'd find in South Africa!  

My suggestion would be to camp out somewhere dark in the parking lot for the night.  Your BF should be accompanied by atleast one other - ARMED.  If a perp shows up, they should make sure they have a perp head count, then they should advance with guns drawn until a surrender.  They can get in deep shit for saying they are cops, but it might save them a gun fight if the perps think they are only vigilantes.

Oh yeah, I bet you its someone that lives in your complex or the landlord himself.  Tell noone.  

Want good bait?  Find a friend with a suped up car, they usually think it has a nice radio.
View Quote

Isn't this a bad idea?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a video camera?  If not you can buy a wireless x10 cam for $79.  Hook that up to your vcr with an 8 hour tape and record every night.  It will give you an idea of who you might be dealing with.  If the picture is good enough you might be able to recognize the person.  It would be good to know if you are dealing with 12 year olds getting kicks, teenagers trying to make a quick buck, or someone from your apartment complex trying to feed their drug habit.

Did anyone move into your complex shortly before this happend?  My guess is it's someone in your complex or one near by that needs to feed a drug habit.

Once you know who you are dealing with take the tape to the police or the media and let them handle it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Bombshell, tell your man that is a bad idea!

Face it, our laws are setup with the badguy in mind.
If your bf decides he wants to peruse this, make sure no firearms are involved.

His best bet is to just straight up kick their asses with his feet and hands, cops never care about that shit, but when weapons are involved, they seem to care.

Edit to say, I just remembered a good plan.

Get a 20 to 25 shot C02 BB handgun.
Come out laying all 25 BB at their faces, they will fall down or sqrambel to get away, then you can kick there asses after you get the jump on them.

Cops wouldn't be able to prove you shot them nor would the criminals.
Even if they did, BB guns are taken lightly for the most part where I'm from.

The flip side of this is, well, do I need to explain?

Spellchecker isn't working again dammit!
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a 1000 fps pellet gun.

Train on it and get very accurate.

Hide somewhere that you wont be found and put a pellet in their ass when they start stealing stuff.

BG wont know what hit him or where it came from...If you can suppress the laughing, he wont find you. He will probably go away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bombshell, tell your man that is a bad idea!

Face it, our laws are setup with the badguy in mind.
If your bf decides he wants to peruse this, make sure no firearms are involved.

His best bet is to just straight up kick their asses with his feet and hands, cops never care about that shit, but when weapons are involved, they seem to care.

Edit to say, I just remembered a good plan.

Get a 20 to 25 shot C02 BB handgun.
Come out laying all 25 BB at their faces, they will fall down or sqrambel to get away, then you can kick there asses after you get the jump on them.

Cops wouldn't be able to prove you shot them nor would the criminals.
Even if they did, BB guns are taken lightly for the most part where I'm from.

The flip side of this is, well, do I need to explain?

Spellchecker isn't working again dammit!
View Quote

No, THIS is a bad idea!  I say that arrests will lead to halting of the activity.  What is wrong with a civilian arrest when the cops won't do it for you?  Vigilantism is only bad when you're the judge, jury and executioner.  Arresting him, while keeping your safety intact is not a bad idea.  

Legally, you are in the right and the worst that can happen is you'll get a rightful owner (hence why the BB gun is a moronic idea.)  An owner who was stopped, even though maybe scared, would not be unreasonable since you were there to protect HIS investment!  

If you want to be even safer, tell the cops about your activities in case they get any calls from OTHER tenants standing guard!
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Move?

How about you start a neighborhood watch instead of running away?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really getting afraid now.. We are starting a community watch, but it takes a few months to get a sticker and a policeman helping us..In the apartment complex next door this weekend, someone was broken into their own apartment while they were inside, the guy gotten beaten up and put in the hospital all over his lousy tv..They think its the same guys..The apartment complex on the other side of me is believed to be a coke dealer in there and he has connection with the cab company in town who are driving the buyrs around..The cops are aware of all of this and aren't doing anything to stop it..I feel bad cuz I actually work for the landlords and they are very nice people, but they aren't doing anything with lighting to make it safer.. My folks say I should move but that there's crime all over, but I never remember crime like this when I was a kid and I shouldn't have to deal with it right?? I'm debating the video camera idea..My bf is still debating the handcuffing em until the cops show up deal..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
"Two trailer park girl go round the outside....round the out side"

LOL, NC Trailer park capital of the world.

BB, crime is everywhere, but not [i]bad[/i] everywhere.  Eventual you need to move, but until then start a watch program.  You are leaning too heavy on the cops and other people.  Time to grow up and take charge of the situation yourself..............seriously!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I am grown up sgtar15. How should I take charge?? Blast the Mother f'n people in the parking lot?? I think not!! Maybe a video camera or something will suffice..
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no sympathy for criminals, NONE what so ever. They get what they deserve. That being said...

He're what I'd do: Get yourself a 12-Gauge pistol grip shotgun...without a stock. Load up "non-lethal" ammo, meaning rubber slugs or beanbags. Wait around for them. MAKE SURE THEY ACTUALLY ARE CRIMINALS !!!! Clamly walk up to them and fire a rubber slug into their thigh. You'd be surprised what a rubber slug will do to someones' attitude. Then walk away, do not run. Put the shotgun in a duffel-bag, go back to bed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#20]
A guy from Ireland told me that when Óglaigh na hÉireann would catch thieves, they would shoot the perp in both elbows and kneecaps and one last shot to the head before dumping the naked body where his fellow crooks would find it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A guy from Ireland told me that when Óglaigh na hÉireann would catch thieves, they would shoot the perp in both elbows and kneecaps and one last shot to the head before dumping the naked body where his fellow crooks would find it.
View Quote
Now this would actually be a deterrent to crime! Bravo! Why don't we take heed?!?[^]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a little update:

Well, I went to work at the management company wednesday and they got a call from the TV station because someone from my complex contacted the media(It wasn't me or any of the neighbors I know)This ticked my boss off to no end and he pushed me to do a sit down interview with the reporter, since I live there and I had information about the community watch that we were forming. Well, my boss was like this will take the heat off of me. I was not happy to do it, but I stupidly did it anyways..

Anyways, I watched it last night and they basically said after my piece about how there's no police patrolling the area right now but after the community watch gets started there will be..I was soo pissed off I called the producer and got him to change the story for the 11 o'clock news.. Nothing like giving the criminals a calling card eh?? Also, the sound bite they used was of me saying that there are alot of single girls living there like myself and I am very afraid, something I did not want on the news, cuz now every rapist can come and get me now right?? Anyways, they cut my sound bite out of the next airing of it as well.. One mroe note on the tv thing, they had under my name when it first aired "property manager" I am a receptionist for goodness sake and a full time college student LOL! Man the news people down here are real idiots...

Now, what's the manager going to do about it? So many people have complained that he has decided to put more lights in the back parking lot(where the majority of crimes has been committted)..One light in particular is going right in front of the dumpster I throw my garbage out in that I always feel uncomfortable doing at night figuring someone is going to jump out and get me..

Is this enough?? or should they do more?? Cops still aren't patrolling even after they made it on the news!! The head of the police claimed they would do undercover work...but I severly doubt it! What's you guys opinions now?
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
more prisons, so be it, ..
-Andrea
View Quote

naw. we dont need more prisons. i say we just stick them on a island somewhere and we use up old military ammo on them. or let C-130 gunships do practice runs on them.  i like that idea. honestly, i would sit in the bushes infront of my car everynight, and i would wait untill they tried to break in my property (i.e. my car)then i would shoot them then and there. i'd proceed to call the police, and i would tell them i was defending my property and life. aswell as the other lives and property of those who live here.   END PROBLEM.  get out there and shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm really getting afraid now.. We are starting a community watch, but it takes a few months to get a sticker and a policeman helping us..In the apartment complex next door this weekend, someone was broken into their own apartment while they were inside, the guy gotten beaten up and put in the hospital all over his lousy tv..They think its the same guys..The apartment complex on the other side of me is believed to be a coke dealer in there and he has connection with the cab company in town who are driving the buyrs around..The cops are aware of all of this and aren't doing anything to stop it..I feel bad cuz I actually work for the landlords and they are very nice people, but they aren't doing anything with lighting to make it safer.. My folks say I should move but that there's crime all over, but I never remember crime like this when I was a kid and I shouldn't have to deal with it right?? I'm debating the video camera idea..My bf is still debating the handcuffing em until the cops show up deal..
-Andrea
View Quote

Are you for real??
Get some backbone, or move to the boonies....
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Citabria, how old are you? 12?

You can't SHOOT people. Its Criminal. And even the posters who reccommended the pellet guns are hopefully not serious.

There is only 1 time when you can legally use a firearm, and that is when your, or other's lives are in immediate danger.

The more realistic tactic would be video, or, unfortunately, as the more intelligent posters have advised, leave.

I wish it wasn't so, but the criminals understand the above, and will continue to use the lack of enforcement and ample opportunity to victimize the population.
Have you and your neighbors considered a neighborhood watch? Better lighting too, might act as a deterent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you starting to get the idea that your apartment manager isn't doing his job?  HE should have given the interview, and HE should have taken the initiative.

Also, you should know not to trust the media.  They want hot news stories, and will slant the story to attract the most viewers, regardless of the facts.

Anyway, the lights will help some, but you've been pretty screwed by the thieves, your apartment manager, the police, and the media.  As you said, they've encouraged more thefts with their actions, or lack thereof.

The apartment manager should be hiring some off-duty cops to patrol the area for the next few months as a minimum.  But, clearly, he's not going to do that.  So, we're back to: move, or collect evidence (i.e., video) that can be used in court.

-Troy
View Quote

He said if he hired security guards he would have to raise the rent...
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been watching this post with some interest.  As a police officer and an apartment dweller I have some suggestions that I hope will help.  First off you have to stay on the mgmt. about better security, lights, off-duty officers, etc.. contact you local PD crime prevention guy and see if they can make your apt. complex an extra patrol for their officers.  I know that when we have a rash of burglaries we have to pull extra patrol in the apts. or neighborhood where they happen. The community watch will help also.  Set it up where you have someone watching the area at night.  Another thing you might want to do is patrol the complex with other tenants.  Get a lot of people together in a show of strength.  The criminals will see that you are tired of their garbage.  Most importantly CALL THE POLICE!  anytime you see suspicious people or activity,  try to get a good description of the person and car, but don't put yourself in danger, no property is worth your life.  
GROCK:  the guy that posted the thing about shooting them is technically right.  He lives in TX and deadly force is allowed to prevent comm. of burglary, robbery, arson, agg. robbery, theft during the nighttime, and even criminal mischief during nighttime. So technically he is correct but simply walking out to the parking lot and shooting a burglar is not a good idea.  Anyway I hope that some of these ideas can help.    
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#29]
We are having our second community watch meeting tonight at 7. This time we put a flier on everyone's door and are hoping for a big turn out. Any ideas to keep people interested/ motivated?? Anything would be greatly appreciated..
-Andrea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top