Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2002 2:04:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Never done it, but you might want to consider cobalt bits with that hardened metal.

[url]http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=yes&qt=1&tool=all&INV_ONHAND=&FREIGHT=&qty=1&Item_id=7777&PartNo=DBC215&Price=109.95&ListPrice=109.95&FORMNAME=1&Desc=Set%2C+Drill+Bit%2C+Mechanic%27s+Length%2C+135%B0+Split+Point%2C+15+Bits&SUB_Cat_ID=1161749&SUB_Cat_NAME=Cobalt+Drill+Bits&Cat_ID=1161748&Cat_NAME=Drilling&group_id=932&group_NAME=Mechanic%92s+Length-135%B0+Split+Point&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog[/url]

Plenty of cutting oil too!

[url]http://www.superiorlubricants.com/specs/metalworking/dasala3.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Glass is cheap ...I had to break a $90 wing window in my truck because I locked keys in truck in the middle of nowhere.House window should be under $20 and locksmith would certainly want more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A locksmith should be able to extract the remainder of the key. I believe they have a tool just for that. A set of lockpicks might do the trick, too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually drilling out the key area will not be of any use. It will just fudge up the lock even more. You should be able to work the key piece out with a narrow piece of music wire bent to a small hook at the tip. Barring this You can weld an Eyebolt or chain to the lock and using something to pull away(hard!) from the door, break the two screws that hold the two halves of the lock together. I've even seen guys who can hit the outside lock with a sharp hammer blow and snap the screws cleanly off. You can, if You know where the two screws are under the lock face, drill them out and remove it that way. I would say that if You can do it that way, it'd be Your best bet on not damaging the door. Good luck!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't drill the lock just for a broken key.  You should be able to purchase a key extractor from any locksmith for a few dollers.  You can also order a set from [url]http://www.southord.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had tenants do the same thing several times.

I just drill the lock out with a large, hard bit and replace the lock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
i sincerely hope it's not a medeco. i made the mistake of trying to drill one of those once...
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Extract the broken piece of key, take it to Home Depot and have a new one made... cheapest solution.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used a broken jigsaw blade or coping saw blade, real thin thing, maybe a tad over 1/16" wide, inserted teeth pointing towards the key teeth (teeth-to-teeth) and backward towards me. Forcing upwards, steady pressure, and a slight pull brought the bit of key out one notch at a time.

Noah
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Carefully straighten out a small fishing hook and use the barb to "fish" out the broken piece of key.

Worked for me a number of times.

-
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this, provided you're planning on replacing the lockset..

Get into a nearby apartment,note, and measure the location of the two(should be JUST two) screws securing the lockset to the door..Make a template from cardboard if it'll help..

Take a very pointed centerpunch, and strike over the area where the screws should thread into the blind holes of the outer casting..If one or two good blows does not crack the outer housing, you now have two good marks where you can drill the cast threads out.. A push should drop the knob into the room, a pull should leave the tumbler, and outer casting in your hand, and a screwdriver will draw the deadbolt back.

At least it's worked for me..

Good luck-
Meplat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top