Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Personally, I recommend new/inexperienced female shooters to carry a .38 snub nose w/ +p ammo in it.   You want something that will go bang 100% of the time with as little risk of jamming as possible.  JMHO.

This, minus the +P ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If money was no object and she likes the 380 I would get the SIG 232. It is very similar to the Bersa but better quality.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My mom just turned 60.  

I’m trying to help her select a handgun to carry concealed when she is out with my daughter.
Money is no object.  From my point of view, it is life insurance for my daughter.

Mom went through the class, has a permit, and now wants a gun.

I thought the selection process would be easy,
but then my dad fell in love with my brother’s Bersa Thunder 380 Plus.
(Lightweight aluminum frame, 15+1 rounds, decocking safety)

My dad likes it because, as he puts it, he can tell by looking at it if it is loaded and ready to fire.
My brother’s praise was that it is very accurate, and a 380 round won’t overpenetrate.

My first reaction was that a 380 was completely unacceptable, simply because of the lack of power.
I'm pretty sure it fails to meet the FBI standard penetration tests.  
But maybe I’m not giving the 380 enough credit.
I’d much rather my mom use a 9mm, 45, or a .38 revolver.
Hell, I’d rather she use a S&W 500 magnum, but it is too heavy.  

And I prefer my guns to be point and shoot.  I don’t want to fumble with a safety.
My revolver doesn’t have a safety, nor does my Glock.
My brother pointed out that some people aren’t pro-freshinal enough to handle a gun without safeties.
*sigh*  that may be true.

I’m trying to get my parents to go to a gun show with me this weekend.
There are a few vendors with hundreds of types of handguns on tables.

Old Painless posted something I had just mentioned to my parents.
In the heat of the moment, you don’t notice muzzle blast.
Airbags went off in my car when I pulverized a Dodge Neon in front of me a few years ago.
I never heard the airbags go off.  
In the same respect, I suspect you wouldn’t even notice recoil.
So should those be considerations when buying a gun that might never be fired?
I don’t know.  
I guess it depends on if she ever wants to take it to the range for practice.
I suspect she’ll go to a range exactly one time.
I almost rather she wouldn’t.  
I’d rather just tell her to expect to feel like someone hit her in the back of the head with a Sears fall catalog when she pulls the trigger.  
Adding that she needs stay focused to make sure she stops whatever threat she is facing, whether it be dog or man.

It is my mom’s choice.  
Is it worth nudging her towards something I think is better than a 380?

Heck, if looking at a 380, why not go for the Kel-Tec 30-round .22 magnum pistol?  

Get a Kahr P9.
I have one and I love it. I had a Bersa and side by side it was huge compared with Kahr.
I got rid of it since the .380 was bigger than the 9mm so I didnt see a use for it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Get a Kahr P9.
I have one and I love it. I had a Bersa and side by side it was huge compared with Kahr.
I got rid of it since the .380 was bigger than the 9mm so I didnt see a use for it.

Kahr P9 has a capacity of 7+1

I'll keep in mind if she considers 9mm acceptable, but thinks a double-stack magazine is too big.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't recommend that she buy anything that requires it to cocked and locked.

Personally my wife like her S&W modl 60. It only hold five rounds but she likes the hammer because she can shoot it almot like a single action.

Is she can rack the slide on a Shield or something similar I'd go that route. Some brands just have stiffer springs like Kahr.  Almost evry female that came into the store could rack a Taurus..
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a Kahr P9.

Kahr P9 has a capacity of 7+1

I'll keep in mind if she considers 9mm acceptable, but thinks a double-stack magazine is too big.

yes it is 7+1 and also has a 8 round capacity mag I keep in vehicle as backup.
It is a thin single stack and it is under an inch thin.  I believe the website lists it as 0.9" wide.
It is a slim gun and disappears no matter how I carry it.
You can save some money now and get the CW version if she wants.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a thunder .380. It's super accurate, but the damn recoil feels like someone is hitting you in the web of your hand with a pool cue if you don't grip it just right. I would see if she can handle a 9mm, unless she has major arthritis I would go with a 9mm.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't rack the slide? Just tip it up instead....

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%2080/Beretta%2086.htm

I love my Bersa, Great little gun. Carried it for years.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personally, I recommend new/inexperienced female shooters to carry a .38 snub nose w/ +p ammo in it.   You want something that will go bang 100% of the time with as little risk of jamming as possible.  JMHO.

This.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top