Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 11:00:43 AM EDT
Police tapes released Thursday detail a critically wounded woman's harrowing 48-minute wait for help as confused officers wandered nearby streets and dispatchers disregarded the address she gave them, relying instead on inadequate computer information.

Minutes into Patti Godfrey's 12:30 a.m. 911 call on Aug. 3, she also gave dispatchers the name and phone number of her daughter and repeatedly begged them to call her. They didn't make that call, nor did they ask Godfrey for specific directions to her house until about 40 minutes into the call.

[url]http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=911CALL-LATECOPS-08-23-02&cat=AN[/url]

Holy Shit....

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry, "they" know whats best.

They will also be there to help you if need be, just give them a call at 911.

Don't think...don't think....don't think...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
None of this would have happened if Godfrey hadn't cheated on his wife.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It would not have happened on my shift. I'm good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
i didnt click the link.....is she ok?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
At least she didn't boil the rabbit!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
"Mew again apologized Thursday for that night. He urged people to remember that most 911 calls go smoothly.

"It was a horrible night," Mew said. "

Right, no thanks.. I'll keep it cocked and locked..  

Heck I got three relitives that are LEOs and they say don't rely on the system because they can't be everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#7]
it should cost the dispatcher that handled the call their job, incompentent moron! listen to someone when they tell you where they are!  they can be on a 2.4Ghz radio phone 3 houses away.... STUPID DISPATCHER! i bet their degree is liberal arts. "Would you like fries with that?"
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I get out of that,  they didn't disregard the directions,  it's that the directions could not be understood, and the address didn't show up in the database.  

Quite common.  

When the directions go something like:  

"Turn left at the Seven Eleven, no i don't know the name of the street.  Go to the third dead armadillo, turn right, then left, then right again, and it's the house somewhere down there with the blue chevy out front"

You know it's going to be a bad night.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Phat, if you're a sworn officer, go to the calibre press site (calibrepress.com) and do a search for 'not on my shift'.
If you're not sworn, please disregard this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel sick to my stomach...speachless.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Once again John trumpets the JBT's over non-officer people.....John, are yuo telling me that you couldn't follow the directions you gave within 40 minutes? Or are you ignoring the fact that the lady gave then another number to call for directions? Please help me to understand.
And go to the third dead armadillo is good Texas
directions......
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

mabey not but they were dealing with a incompetent and idiotic dispatcher. the fool had no clue as to what to do when you cant find the right address... GET HELP, get a MAP. do somthing other than run officers from one side of the city to the other and back before you figure it out.

hell voilate some rules and get on the damn net goto www.mapquest.com! gah...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From what I get out of that,  they didn't disregard the directions,  it's that the directions could not be understood, and the address didn't show up in the database.  

Quite common.  

When the directions go something like:  

"Turn left at the Seven Eleven, no i don't know the name of the street.  Go to the third dead armadillo, turn right, then left, then right again, and it's the house somewhere down there with the blue chevy out front"

You know it's going to be a bad night.
View Quote

God I know it! Could she have been more vague?
"She also confirmed the Godfreys' address: 22953 Eagle River Road, at Mile 4.6."

Jake
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about another poorly performing dispatcher?

A man called 911 in fear of his life and the dispatcher told him he shouldn't be afraid since he was behind his locked door, to be a man, and if that didn't work to go stay in a hotel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Erm.

She gave them her daughters phone number.

She confirmed the ADDRESS.

the Dispatcher DID NOT ask for directions even though the ADDRESS was not in the 911 computer system.

The dispathcer kept telling the lady 'they are just outside' for how long? half an hour?

the Lady hung up, then hung up on them again when they interupted her dialing (Id assume to her daughter)

THEN they asked for directions.  40 minutes into the call.

FREAKING MORONS of a 911 dispatcher.

The article doenst say, I wonder if that F-up cost her husband his life.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about another poorly performing dispatcher?

A man called 911 in fear of his life and the dispatcher told him he shouldn't be afraid since he was behind his locked door, to be a man, and if that didn't work to go stay in a hotel.
View Quote

Holy Cow! You weren't kidding. I was going to post something like "you're kidding right?"

But I did a search, and here it is:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=137389&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
That's 911 for you.

I called once. There was a party at the neibors house and many of the partiers thought it was cool to start tossing bottles and the other houses around them. The dispatch told me to go over and ask them to please stop. Right. 1 guy vs 100 drunks at 2:30 am. I did have justice in the end. I crancked up SPR and got out the lazer......

I have heard that a blank buster and the lazer works well. I have never tried it as that might be illeagal.

Someone should start dial911anddie.com amd put up a collection of this crap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Hound,  Nowhere did I defend this.

Nowhere did I say there was not a screwup.

In short,  I did not deserve a personal attack like yours.

I'd like an apology please.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The person who handled that call and the supervisor on duty need to lose thier jobs for this one. One bright spot is that the county can be held civily liable in cases like this.
View Quote

Alaska doesn't have counties, smart guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top