Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 6:35:42 AM EDT
I don't know what to do. When it comes time to get a new rifle, I hit all the shops in my area only to find out that they are way over priced. This is the reason why I don't buy from them. I usually have them do the transfers for me. The last firearm  I bought, no dealer would do the transfer for less than 10% of the total price on a new gun. I had the pervious owner put a few rounds through it so the dealer thought it was used. I wouldn't mind spending a couple of extra bucks and giving some business to the local guys, but  they are just so expensive I save several hundred dollars buying from other dealers out of state, and there's no sales tax. Any suggestions??

I live in Nassau County, close to the N.Y.C. border. If any one knows a dealer close to me that does transfers for a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in Nassau County, close to the N.Y.C. border. If any one knows a dealer close to me that does transfers for a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks.
View Quote

10% sounds reasonable to me, they have too eat too.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Competition is a great thing. 10% charge? Not if someone will do it cheaper.  You know I have to eat too, every $$$ I give to an FFL is less $$$ for me.  Maybe the reason I am so bitter is the description of location and charge sounds like T&T Gunnery, one of the bigger rip off's in the area.  I wanted to buy a Cetme there.  T&T wanted $599 for the CETME.  Never mind they are now $295 shipped from a bunch of places.  Is a 100% markup needed to put food on the table?  (They also sell SAR 1's for $499)

SMV, I can suggest a few FFL's for you.  Try Lou at LRB of Long Island, (516) 327-9061.

You can also try going to gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and using their FFL search utilities for a lsit of receiving FFL's.

$25 for 10 minutes of paperwork is fair -- 10% of an $800 gun is just extortion.  You may also want to get a C&R FFL, which wil llet you sidestep an FFL for a lot of good guns.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Is it just me or is giving a guy $100 for receiving a package a little ridiculous. And for the money I spend with these guys on over priced ammo and accessories, you would think they would try not to rob me on the transfers. If I'm wrong please let me know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If any one knows a dealer close to me that does transfers for a reasonable price please let me know.
Thanks.
View Quote

Check the FFL lists at:

[url=http://www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp]Gunbroker[/url]

and

[url=http://www.auctionarms.com/help/FFLNetwork.cfm]AuctionArms[/url]

I found a local FFL that does $10 transfers at one of these. [:)] Hope this helps you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I never thought charging a percentage was a very good or fair way of collecting a transfer fee. After all, it takes the same amount of paperwork to transfer a $100 gun as it does a $1000 one.

On the other hand, a dealer should make a buck or two out of the deal. It is his license, his time, and his record keeping that he pays for. He shouldn't have to give it away. Having said that, I think $10-25 per transfer is fair.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that they are starting to rip us off,

Another problem I have is that the Dealer never seeme to know engouh about a gun to make me feel comfortable about one either.

They also seem to bullshit, to a point you realize ther're bullshitting you.  For instance, I had a guy at a delaer tell me when I bought a 10/22 that it was capable of 1" groups at 100 yards.....granted I knew it wasn't, but come on man!!!

Lots of dealers won't even do an FFL transfer for ya!  I mean come on, $25 for 10 minutes, I'd do it in a heartbeat because someone else will.   I finallly found a guy (out of his house) that would do em for 20 a gun, and 15 per if you order a few at the time.  Great deal!!!  The guys that do it on the side are doing it because they like to do it, and if they transfer a couple of guns during a week, hell they had a good time talking guns to somebody, and get to take the wife out to dinner on the weekend as a result.

I'd like to support them too, but they need to be reasonable.  If I can get a cheap ole mosin-nagant for 40 bucks outta shotgun news, + 10 for shipping =50, and they want 140 or so for one........What kind of cash are they making off real guns???  They are getting more like car dealers, they offered me 75 bucks for a hardly fired 22 barretta pistol that was in alot better shape than the $300 one in his case????  (I don't usually sell any of my firearms, but I see no legal purpose for those little 22 pistols, you sure can't target shoot with em......it had been basically given to me)

I can see if you're in an area that just doesn't do business, but here, they are definately not hurting.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Is it just me or is giving a guy $100 for receiving a package a little ridiculous. And for the money I spend with these guys on over priced ammo and accessories, you would think they would try not to rob me on the transfers. If I'm wrong please let me know.
View Quote

I don't think it is ridiculous!  People think that when a FFL does a transfer that it is pure profit, well there is no such thing!!  Factor in rent, bookkeeping, insurance, labor cost, utilities, and many other things.  That $100 fee quickly becomes just $10 gross profit....before taxes!!!

Hell, I am constantly surprised by how many people bitch about FFL transfer fees, are [b]you[/b] willing to do extra work at your job for such a small fee??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't get an extra fee when they ask me to do something else at work , hehehe.

The Government is our customer......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top