Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
hk91 G3 PTR. you got one lets see it!

Aren't those three different rifles?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
After my CETME snafu, I haven't had the nerve to try again... Should seen all the $1 mags I bought from CTD back in 2009...

I do want the varminteer model in .243 though..

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After my CETME snafu, I haven't had the nerve to try again... Should seen all the $1 mags I bought from CTD back in 2009...

Was your's a Century?  My CETME was, and it ran alright.  Not being able to adjust the sights, less accurate than my M1A, and being god awful uncomfortable made me sell it.  This is long before I heard of Century's reputation.  Did love the cheap ass mags though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the G3 compare to the FAL?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is in my boat...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Between the enhanced A3 Buffer and the FSC, Recoil is not bad at all.  I have an a2 stock as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IMHO, it was a dissapointment when I got mine. Unless you have ham hands, you won't be able to take it off safe w/o rotating your palm off the grip, same with mag relase, for the 100yd sight setting you have to mash your cheek down hard enough on the stock that it's like taking a full powershot in the face from a 12 yo boy.

In spite of what Vince says, the Germans got this one wrong. I still have it though, due to the mags being so cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was your's a Century?  My CETME was, and it ran alright.  Not being able to adjust the sights, less accurate than my M1A, and being god awful uncomfortable made me sell it.  This is long before I heard of Century's reputation.  Did love the cheap ass mags though.

Yea, it was. I did get my choice of a half dozen a buddy had. It was late 2008 in the middle of a buying panic, and he offered me one for $650. Ended up getting the Zeiss Hendsolt or whatever scope from them too and sold it a year later with 50 mags for around $1100. That was the same day I bought my first Sig rifle.

There was something oddly satifying about slapping the charging handle on a new mag though....
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, it was a dissapointment when I got mine. Unless you have ham hands, you won't be able to take it off safe w/o rotating your palm off the grip, same with mag relase, for the 100yd sight setting you have to mash your cheek down hard enough on the stock that it's like taking a full powershot in the face from a 12 yo boy.

In spite of what Vince says, the Germans got this one wrong. I still have it though, due to the mags being so cheap.

I am with you, I get a better cheek weld w/ the a3 stock, I cant get down on the a2 very good. The G3k is where its at.  The ergonomics are not as good as the FAL.  Sold my bad ass DSA SA58, and moved into a scar 17s, but keep the g3k because a) its a sbr, b), I can shoot my mountain of dag blue training ammo at 119/1000 rounds, and get great practice and training.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/zac_squatch/Firearms/cetme005.jpg

You should sell some of those.. they are apparently worth $60 now...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread has got me turned on
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
mine got lost when i decided to see if it floated
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Wunderbar.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it was. I did get my choice of a half dozen a buddy had. It was late 2008 in the middle of a buying panic, and he offered me one for $650. Ended up getting the Zeiss Hendsolt or whatever scope from them too and sold it a year later with 50 mags for around $1100. That was the same day I bought my first Sig rifle.

There was something oddly satifying about slapping the charging handle on a new mag though....

Yeah closing the bolt was oddly satisfying.  Same the didn't lock back on the last round, I hated having to cock it.  Even though I'm a lefty I found it a pain.  I got mine in 06 for $400 at Cabelas, sold it for about 1K with 20 mags.  I did save another 20 mags with the hope that someday I could mill something up to use them in something else.  I have no idea what scope mount mine came with.  Looked good enough, but either the mount or the scope wouldn't hold zero, and I really didn't find that accuracy was good enough to warrant using a scope.  I'd rather have a FAL over a CETME/G3, but if I was super rich, and had tons of 7.62 laying around I would've kept it.  

Oh and I didn't care for how it fucked up my brass, I never even attempted to use it's spent brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what would you do to see one with a can on it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mailed off my form 4 for my SDN-6 today....but reality is, I sent in my Form 1 to sbr my scar 17 also...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unspeakable things
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's my PTR.  For me it's perfect, love the tight cheek weld, ergonomics work for me.  Honestly it's probably my favorite rifle to shoot.  The Bill Springfield trigger job was a night and day improvement btw.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unspeakable things

LOL!

i made up a metric to 5/8-24 adapter for mine. Waiting on the 37 deg locking piece, the 45 deg was a bit too soon on the unlock up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unspeakable things

LOL!

i made up a metric to 5/8-24 adapter for mine. Waiting on the 37 deg locking piece, the 45 deg was a bit too soon on the unlock up.

let me know how the LP performs.  I dont want to beat my gun to death, but would be interested in trying it suppressed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I sold my PTR, only because I needed the money.
It had the stock stock, a German HK collapsible stock and a Black Market Parts (Todd Bailey) adjustable stock (length and height).
It also had a scope mount and a Phantom flash hider.

I still have 100 or so mags, if I could have found a nice PTR91 for a halfway decent price I would have bought it.

It had a Specul Wepens (Todd Bailey) trigger, when I sent it to Bill Springfield for the trigger job I asked if he would replace it.
He told me that the trigger was one of the things that Todd had done right and that it was better then the later PTR91 triggers.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. My friend has a PTR and I have an FAL. I want to like them so much but the cheek weld, mag release and safety killed it for me.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
For those bitching about the cheek weld get one of these Magpul adjustable stocks.
They really make a difference.

Try shooting one with the HK military collapsible stock if you want to know about pain.

Get Bill Springfield to install a paddle mag release, that's also worth the money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. My friend has a PTR and I have an FAL. I want to like them so much but the cheek weld, mag release and safety killed it for me.

As a counter point.  PCS extended selector fixes the safety issue, and you can do a custom stock w/ a AR tube conversion, enchanced buffer and something like a ctr, was going to do that as a project but it would be a 300 stock.  

I can not stand the original FAL grip angle and was not fond of the safety, but w/ an ergo and extended selector, it made a HUGE difference.  I loved my fal. But, aside, I upgraded to a SCAR 17

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For those bitching about the cheek weld get one of these Magpul adjustable stocks.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ptr-91-with-magpul-stock.gif

Try shooting one with the HK military collapsible stock if you want to know about pain.

Wish I could afford a MSG-1 Stock...but they are WAY too pricey.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ptr-91-with-magpul-stock.gif

Wish I could afford a MSG-1 Stock...but they are WAY too pricey.

The ones that Black Mountain used to sell was about $110 cheaper.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a counter point.  PCS extended selector fixes the safety issue, and you can do a custom stock w/ a AR tube conversion, enchanced buffer and something like a ctr, was going to do that as a project but it would be a 300 stock.  

I can not stand the original FAL grip angle and was not fond of the safety, but w/ an ergo and extended selector, it made a HUGE difference.  I loved my fal. But, aside, I upgraded to a SCAR 17

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/Bgu301/Non-Inventory/2012-10-13_12-22-29_4532.jpg

Booooo, Boooo this man. No one wants that new fangled wizardry!  Seriously though, I have considered getting a PTR pistol and doing a SBR job on it for grins and giggles. Why not!  If you can drop the cheek weld down, I can get over the rest to be honest. I could just not get my big, fat head down far enough to get a good sight picture and cheek weld at the same time.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#36]
my POS Hesse..

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/Bgu301/Non-Inventory/2012-10-13_12-22-29_4532.jpg
Booooo, Boooo this man. No one wants that new fangled wizardry!  Seriously though, I have considered getting a PTR pistol and doing a SBR job on it for grins and giggles. Why not!  If you can drop the cheek weld down, I can get over the rest to be honest. I could just not get my big, fat head down far enough to get a good sight picture and cheek weld at the same time.

My G3k Sbr is a build from the ground up around the RCM CHF barrel.  Right now, serving as my training rifle (dag training ammo, cycles 100%)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#38]
PTR-91,  Meopta 6x scope

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Get Bill Springfield to install a paddle mag release, that's also worth the money.

I think too many are used to loose cheek welds from shooting too much lower 1/3 co-witness.  I personally hate that setup as much as some say they hate the tight weld from a G3 ... to each their own.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Just a plain old PTR-91.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unspeakable things

LOL!

I've always wondered...is the angle measured perpendicular to the longitudinal axis?  And the smaller the angle, the slower the cycle rate?  

I've hardly shot mine because of random issues(denting backplate, stovepipes, double feed), and have assumed its a timing issue based on rollers and locking piece angle.  

ETA: No freeloading.  Pic is from 10 years ago.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]
PTR after I put some HK furniture on it...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unspeakable things

LOL!

I've always wondered...is the angle measured perpendicular to the longitudinal axis?  And the smaller the angle, the slower the cycle rate?  

I've hardly shot mine because of random issues(denting backplate, stovepipes, double feed), and have assumed its a timing issue based on rollers and locking piece angle.  

its included angle, with the apex of the angle at the tip of the locking block. the smaller the angle the slower it unlocks. get a new (stock 45 deg) locking block and new rollers. then measure your gap. it needs to be under .020. if too large get a set of - numbered rollers for it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#46]
G3, it clears your sinuses every shot!  I hated mine, I was glad some schmoe at a gun show wanted it really really bad.... $3500 really bad. I paid less than $2K

You know why I bought the thing? cheap mags, $5 a piece during the AWB cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Only pic I've got right now..

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got my PTR, already have a ton of crap picked out for it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top