Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They're preparing for revenge!!!

PAGE TWO IS MINE!!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I help 99% of the turtles I see cross the road. There have been a couple of times when I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop.

I was out on a second date one time and stopped to help one. The girl was like" , that is so sweet".

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm one of the morons that stops and puts them in the woods.

Me too, and I'd say half of our members here would too, if the road were safe enough.

I did this once with a 50lbs snapper.

Grabbed him by the back of the shell with welding gloves on and still damn near got bit.

Never knew their necks could do shit like that.

I've seen more than one person experience a little shock of how far those necks can reach. Luckily, nothing bad ever happened.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Me too. Glad there are kind people like you out there - shame there are cruel bastards though.

I relocated a snapping turtle a few weeks ago that was crossing a road to reach the drainage ditch on the other side. Boy, it really smelled bad, but I was happy to have helped the little thing.

People who intentionally hit animals with their cars or commit other acts of cruelty need the same things done to them. Like those sick, evil bastards in Houston that were mutilating and crushing animals while videoing it all - then selling their recordings. Nothing would be too cruel for those sick fucks. They should be put through a wood-chipper feet first on a slow feed rate.

I'm a sucker for animals.. I have stray cats living in my backyard, under an old deck where I feed them twice a day. About a month ago I borrowed some traps and got them into a spay/neuter clinic to make sure they didn't have more kittens. I took in two of the strays earlier this year - a male that was very friendly and a feral female that was pregnant. The female gave birth the next day to four kittens. When tthey were old enough, we enrolled them all in a weekend sponsor program run by a local shelter, where two of the kittens were adopted together, but we got attached to the mom/dad/other two kittens so kept the rest of the family together. The previously feral female is now extremely tame and happy - you wouldn't believe she was the same cat! (She's even tamer than one of our cats that we adopted at 6 weeks old).

I know the majority of people wpulld disapprove, but I also let a couple of raccoons live in my attic. I put put dog kibble for them on the deck in the backyard, where they come and eat with the stray cats, then play in a big water dish chasing rocks around thhat they deliberately drop in. They found a box of nuts&bolts up in the attict and I hear them playing with them everyday (they toss them around on the ceiling and chirp happily).
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do that for Box Turtles

I'll just add that in my particular area of Michigan there are 6 native species of turtle, but the only ones I see trying to cross are paint turtles, Blanding's turtles, and snapping turtles. The soft shell's usually stick to the water, and move fast enough on land not to need help, and box turtles are few in number. The ones that get run over the most by far are paint turtles, but those are pretty much an aquatic rabbit, so they've got enough numbers to lose a few crossing the road, won't risk it for one unless it's a good sized one (like the size of a football).
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol at the hedonist worrying about a turtle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me, too.

Where I used to live in SC, pretty much every community had ponds in them, filled with turtles.  Many times, I would stop and pick one up if it was just sitting in the road, and put it back at the water's edge.  One time, my GF and I had just pulled into a parking spot and there was a tiny (like 2") turtle behind the car that, luckily for him, we missed when we pulled in.  Cute little fucker.

Girlfriend? You mean you aren't the hot chick in your avatar?! But... but... I loved you...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I may or may not have beaten the living shit out of a delivery driver who sped up on a residental street to hit a dog., ok who the fuck am I fooling I fucked that scumbag up in front of his boss.  The best part was once I was done whooping this bitch's ass the boss fired him.

Three cheers!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK....story time. I've hardly ever told this to anyone. Worth the read.........

I had this buddy back when we were pre-teens to very early teens. He moved away suddenly(mom couldn't deal with him) and maybe that's a good thing.

His mom was the local "party girl" and wasn't around at all to supervise her kids. He was very mechanical and was always building/experimenting with things. He stole paint cans of grey spraypaint in his socks a few times (he shoplifted everything) and stole some sheet styrofoam. He made fake cinderblocks with some glue and would put them scattered in the road around a sharp curve as we would hide in the woods and watch. He did this a few times as cars screeched out of control, only to find that they hit some with no damage and would go berserk screaming out into the 43000 acres of woods surrounding this section of road after almost wrecking their cars to avoid hitting these "cinderblocks"

He did this a few times and it was starting to lose it's appeal, especially when two of the cars that had been duped before purposely swerved to hit them and bust them up.

One day weeks later, he says he wants to go hide and put out the blocks again (little fucker had a way of sucking you into any plan he concocted) We tell him no, as it was always quite scary hanging out with him, but he was the only neighbor in 1.5 miles. Well.....tonight, he told us it would be worth it.

He was all set up by the time we walked through the woods to meet him. We're waiting around the curve, in the woods and being very rural, we'd sometimes have to wait a half an hour for any car to come by. Most would see the blocks, do a little swerve and drive on.

Well tonight just happened to be the one instance where it was someone who had been duped before. We actually heard him speed up and aim right for the real cinderblocks just before he hit them.
We ran, where we would have hunkered down and watched before. I never looked back. The guy ran into the woods about 50 yards or so but we were all ready up over the knoll and split up to regroup at one of our many sites we always had pre-planned.

Crazy shit this guy was. Sad thing is, it wasn't nearly his finest moment.
last I heard, he had done time for a fight where he stabbed someone(confirmed) Since then, he's been a hardworking family man from others I know who have stayed in contact with him.

Boys will be manslaughtering boys!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Really,I'm speechless, this that what we have on here any more?
People who have nothing else to worry about but stoping to help turtles across the road?
I just hope you dont break a nail or get any dirt on your high heels you buncha..............
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

People who have nothing else to worry about but stoping to help turtles across the road?

I just hope you dont break a nail or get any dirt on your high heels you buncha..............

Hey, there's one.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You ever try to pick up an angry 40# snapping turtle? The guys who use gloves may be wieners, but it is definitely a manly endeavor to wrangle a huge pissed off animal who wants nothing more than to take your hands for fucking with it.

And turtles are awesome, they are the last of the dinosaurs, shit hit the fan when the meteor hit, and they survived. They've earned the occasional aide to cross the road to avoid callous douchebags like you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I pass through a swamp with a new road through it on the way to the Courthouse all the time.  During the spring and fall turtles cross the road, I don't know why the don't cross in summer, but they are hibernating in the winter so that  makes sense.  Anyway, once I was late to court and I was very late, ten minutes late, because I stopped about 5 times to pick up and move turtles.  I came into the court room and the judge asked me in front of the freshly assembled jury panel  why I was late.  I didn't crack a smile as I said, "I was engaged in important turtle rescue work."   General giggling broke out. He said, "Oh, you must have come in by Brown Station Road.  That's okay."  I looked around and almost everyone there got it, except for my clueless opponent who wisely did not make a ruckus.  After that a normal try ensued without any further turtle activity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]

The world is a sick place , full of sick people , that do sick things . I know it's hardly on most folk's radar , especially with all the bullshit going on today , but really . . . . purposely squashing a turtle ?
The critters make great pets and live dang near 100 years .
Quoted:

Same here , I do it all the time in the summer .........I like turtles
We had a pile of these paints crossing almost daily around the corner from my camp last summer .

One of about a dozen I carried to the other side .....

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Lol at the hedonist worrying about a turtle.

I've decided to stay out of politics, massacres, and AWB threads - which leaves little else.

My recent postings are mainly stupid stuff, because I've taken an "I don't care" attitude about too many things.  It's part of my plan on keeping sane in an insane world.

I've been a big fan of turtles all my life, and was aghast when I read that people would actually steer to hit a defenseless turtle.  We're talking about thousands of turtles being slaughtered on the road.

So there you have it - I care more about turtles than most other things.

I've also become a big "Pirates of the Caribbean" fan of late too - as TV has nothing worthwhile - the election, killings, looming bans - have pushed me to escape.

My new motto's are "so what?"... followed by "I don't care"... and "I'll be dead soon enough anyway".

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Does your bloodlust boner ever get in the way...like at church or an office meeting?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does your bloodlust boner ever get in the way...like at church or an office meeting?

At his English tutoring sessions perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I like turtles!

Seriously, I've had a few as pets.

I've stopped to help them across the road a few times before.  They always pee when you pick them up.

Here's a few of my favorite shots:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/CsHoSi/webposts/FL_Softshell01_zpsf0df8b6b.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/CsHoSi/webposts/FL_Softshell02_zpse316b073.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/CsHoSi/webposts/Turtlel01_zpsc6869930.jpg
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, me too.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually watched a car load of mexicans (as in, illegals) driving their lowered POS car in town one day when I was living in eastern NM.  A turtle was crossing the road where the RR crossing was, and as they approached, the car slowed down and purposely drove over the turtle.  They all laughed and thought it was funny.

For some reason I was so disgusted, that had it been legal and had I the equipment to do so, I would have hosed that fucking car down with a belt fed MG and laughed my ass off.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I have never aimed for any animals. I've hit 1 possum and 1 rabbit, though..

The possum popped out on the other end of a curve, sorry but I wasn't trying to whip the car to avoid it. If it had ducked down the car would have traveled right over it, unfortunately it didn't move.

Then I had a rabbit which literally ran straight out towards the tire, I saw it coming out of the corner of my eye, it literally ran straight into the path of the rear right tire.

I saw a guy on a motorcycle aim for a snake one time, the snake ALMOST got a bite on the guy, if he didn't have boots on the snake would have gotten his ankle..
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I work hard to avoid them. On the Interstate between Oklahoma City and Lawton, in the spring/summer, the roads are covered with thousands of dead tortoises.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I may or may not have beaten the living shit out of a delivery driver who sped up on a residental street to hit a dog., ok who the fuck am I fooling I fucked that scumbag up in front of his boss.  The best part was once I was done whooping this bitch's ass the boss fired him.

This deserves its own thread. Now.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like turtles!

Seriously, I've had a few as pets.

I've stopped to help them across the road a few times before.  They always pee when you pick them up.

Here's a few of my favorite shots:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/CsHoSi/webposts/FL_Softshell01_zpsf0df8b6b.jpg

Is this the seldom-seen Giraffe Turtle?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I actually watched a car load of mexicans (as in, illegals) driving their lowered POS car in town one day when I was living in eastern NM.  A turtle was crossing the road where the RR crossing was, and as they approached, the car slowed down and purposely drove over the turtle.  They all laughed and thought it was funny.

While south of the border, I saw the "natives" purposely run down dogs and cats as well.  They have very little regard for animal life there, a good deal of them won't even feed their own dogs, the dog has to go find its own food to survive.  I've watched a lady happily doing her laundry in the yard while her entire litter of puppies were laying 10 feet away, in their final death throws from parvo, and when I asked about them, she just smiled and said "Oh, los pobrecitos."  ("Oh, the poor little things."), and went back to doing her laundry.

Another time, a guy said that he had a dog in the back yard. That's not common, so I asked if I could go pet it.  He said "Sure."  When I went back there, he had tied the thing to a branch of a tree, not the trunk.  And given it too little leash.  The dog had tried to stand on its very tippy-tip-toes until it finally couldn't any more, and was choked by the leash.

When I went and told him, he said "No, it's just sleeping."  I told him no, the thing was dead and stiff.  He said "No, it's just sleeping.  Come, I'll show you."  So, I followed the guy out.  He walked up to this obviously dead dog, and started shaking its head, trying to wake it up, until after a few seconds, he said "Ay caray, it is dead!"  Evidently, having the dog tied up so that it couldn't even quite stand, let alone sit or lay down, was completely normal to him.  The entire scene was so bizarre that hearing myself say it, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there myself.

Not all of them are heartless, cruel bastards, but far more than enough of them.  Of course, I also saw them beating their daughters and wives in the street, but I'll keep the topic on animals for this thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do it all the time and so does the wife.  I dont care what anyone else says or thinks about it either.

Here. Dumb little bastards just need a helpin' hand sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never seen one on the road.  Now frogs, sure.  Along with nearly all other furred creatures.  Yes, armadillos have fur.  A little.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While south of the border, I saw the "natives" purposely run down dogs and cats as well.  They have very little regard for animal life there, a good deal of them won't even feed their own dogs, the dog has to go find its own food to survive.  I've watched a lady happily doing her laundry in the yard while her entire litter of puppies were laying 10 feet away, in their final death throws from parvo, and when I asked about them, she just smiled and said "Oh, los pobrecitos."  ("Oh, the poor little things."), and went back to doing her laundry.

Another time, a guy said that he had a dog in the back yard. That's not common, so I asked if I could go pet it.  He said "Sure."  When I went back there, he had tied the thing to a branch of a tree, not the trunk.  And given it too little leash.  The dog had tried to stand on its very tippy-tip-toes until it finally couldn't any more, and was choked by the leash.

When I went and told him, he said "No, it's just sleeping."  I told him no, the thing was dead and stiff.  He said "No, it's just sleeping.  Come, I'll show you."  So, I followed the guy out.  He walked up to this obviously dead dog, and started shaking its head, trying to wake it up, until after a few seconds, he said "Ay caray, it is dead!"  Evidently, having the dog tied up so that it couldn't even quite stand, let alone sit or lay down, was completely normal to him.  The entire scene was so bizarre that hearing myself say it, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there myself.

Not all of them are heartless, cruel bastards, but far more than enough of them.  Of course, I also saw them beating their daughters and wives in the street, but I'll keep the topic on animals for this thread.

You can judge a culture by how it treats its animals.

Or, an ARFcommer for that matter.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I put forth a whole lot of effort to avoid them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a pet turtle (Eastern Mud) and frequently find turtles on my property.

I know some folks find them to be a pest, but the thought of intentionally killing them pisses me off.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

THIS ! i also do the same with snakes .  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Glad there are kind people like you out there - shame there are cruel bastards though.

I relocated a snapping turtle a few weeks ago that was crossing a road to reach the drainage ditch on the other side. Boy, it really smelled bad, but I was happy to have helped the little thing.

People who intentionally hit animals with their cars or commit other acts of cruelty need the same things done to them. Like those sick, evil bastards in Houston that were mutilating and crushing animals while videoing it all - then selling their recordings. Nothing would be too cruel for those sick fucks. They should be put through a wood-chipper feet first on a slow feed rate.

I'm a sucker for animals.. I have stray cats living in my backyard, under an old deck where I feed them twice a day. About a month ago I borrowed some traps and got them into a spay/neuter clinic to make sure they didn't have more kittens. I took in two of the strays earlier this year - a male that was very friendly and a feral female that was pregnant. The female gave birth the next day to four kittens. When tthey were old enough, we enrolled them all in a weekend sponsor program run by a local shelter, where two of the kittens were adopted together, but we got attached to the mom/dad/other two kittens so kept the rest of the family together. The previously feral female is now extremely tame and happy - you wouldn't believe she was the same cat! (She's even tamer than one of our cats that we adopted at 6 weeks old).

I know the majority of people wpulld disapprove, but I also let a couple of raccoons live in my attic. I put put dog kibble for them on the deck in the backyard, where they come and eat with the stray cats, then play in a big water dish chasing rocks around thhat they deliberately drop in. They found a box of nuts&bolts up in the attict and I hear them playing with them everyday (they toss them around on the ceiling and chirp happily).

Were you on hoarders recently
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Next time I see a big softshell crossing the road, I'll make sure to save it for you to try to pick up.

When he sticks his neck out a foot and a half and bites you, I am sure you will squeal like a girl.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Leatherbacks move FAST.  And  bite hard.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top