Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 9:56:19 AM EDT
a question for those of you inclined to respond:

Do you think a relationship (possibly even marriage) should be pursued between two people of different faiths? i.e. Catholic/Baptist.  I am talking about a serious, no nonsense, rest of your life,  kind of thing.  If so or not explain why.

edited because I can't spell [:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as just religion is not something that interferes with the relationship why not?  Now if one of the two partys mandates the other to "conform" then hit the bricks. My wife and I are different faiths I guess, she is Baptist and in my family we had Christmas every year but never went to church. I don't know what I am but there is no conflict so every thing is OK.

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi,

My wife is Presbytarian and I'm Greek Orthodox.

We get on just fine, have been attending a Lutheran church for about two years now, and have no issues.

The only thing we dont agree on is how much to tithe.  In my opinion, it should be what you can afford, in hers its a set amount calculated by how much you make.

I was never really into church, but since getting married to her (bible thumper) I've learned things about the bible that I never knew before....like why moses and all those guys lived for 900 plus years...etc.

We currently have no kids yet, but plan to merge the two religions once we do and keep it under the same roof.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It say's you should not be unequally yoked. On a personal side I was unequally yoked twice and it did not work out. Not saying that was the reason, but it did cause problem's. [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally would not care whatever denomination my future wife is. As long as its not Jehova's Witness. I like celebrating birhtdays and Christmas too much to give it up.

I believe that a God is a God is a God. It all about faith. Wether his name is Allah, Buddah, Jesus, or whatever. God is God.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was never really into church, but since getting married to her (bible thumper) I've learned things about the bible that I never knew before....like why moses and all those guys lived for 900 plus years...etc.

[/quote
God said that he would no longer act indefinitly on the part of man.He went on to say that a mans life span would be upto 120 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I was joking, actually that was my most successful thread here at ar15.com....I asked why Moses and those guys lived so long, and boy did I get responses.

The next most successful thread I ever had here was in the spring of 2000 when I asked who is your favorite pin up girl...[:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I personally would not care whatever denomination my future wife is. As long as its not Jehova's Witness. I like celebrating birhtdays and Christmas too much to give it up.

I believe that a God is a God is a God. It all about faith. Wether his name is Allah, Buddah, Jesus, or whatever. God is God.
View Quote

Amen.

I'm Muslim, my wife is Christian...no problems yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It say's you should not be unequally yoked.
View Quote

I just finished three years of this myself...which led me to my original question.  I kind of think it's like Dave said, if we had the foundation to lean on in our crisis, it would not have ended.  But due to religous differences, we quit attending services at all about a year into the relationship.  Two years later, rocky road + No God = splitsville.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a question for those of you inclined to respond:

Do you think a relationship (possibly even marriage) should be pursued between two people of different faiths? i.e. Catholic/Baptist.  I am talking about a serious, no nonsense, rest of your life,  kind of thing.  If so or not explain why.
View Quote

It depends on the religions involved.  For instance, a Catholic and a Methodist or Lutheran for example could make a relationship work, but it would be difficult for an Evangelical fundamentalist Christian to marry or even date someone of another faith because of their belief that people of other denominations and faith are going to hell.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I am Jewish, my wife is Catholic.  No problems here, but lots of gifts...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top