Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 9:13:44 AM EDT
Looking at picking up a couple Glock 17's.  Looking for difference in Gen 3 vs. Gen 4.  Need to know the in's and out's.  Thanx in advance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a 1911.

Eta: never mind you already have a bunch that only work half the time anyway
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Gen4 G17 has a dual recoil spring, larger magazine release button, more aggressively textured grip, and interchangeable backstraps.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a M&P.  You'll be much happier.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Texture / size of the grip
Comes w/ 3 mags vs 2
Improved capture recoil spring
Mag realase reversible

Look in the Glock section here lots of info
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
seems like the Gen 2's were dummy proof.  I'm wondering why they didn't stick with the recipe.  

As far as the M&P's go.  I went out to the local range ran 50 of brass and 50 of wolf.  The Wolf 9mm was jamming 2nd round of every mag.  I was hugely dissapointed.  

I'm looking for something truly bullet proof.  No matter how I run it.  Weather, steel, Brass, unclean, etc.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump for the cheap dr
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
seems like the Gen 2's were dummy proof.  I'm wondering why they didn't stick with the recipe.  

As far as the M&P's go.  I went out to the local range ran 50 of brass and 50 of wolf.  The Wolf 9mm was jamming 2nd round of every mag.  I was hugely dissapointed.  

I'm looking for something truly bullet proof.  No matter how I run it.  Weather, steel, Brass, unclean, etc.

Then get the Gen3
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gen4 G17 has a dual recoil spring, larger magazine release button, more aggressively textured grip, and interchangeable backstraps.  

And new Gen4s usually come with an extra mag, for a total of three.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a M&P.  You'll be much happier.  

Especially if you have smaller, womanly hands.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
shitty finger swells that fit no oneand shitty finger swells that fit no one with a front rail?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This...ignore all the other usual Glocks suck BS....

Simply shoot a number of different guns see what fits better in your hand and what trigger you like the best....

Then buy that gun(s)....So simple.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Frog.....did I not tell you how this would read on the phone. I don't think it matters since I'm the one that will probably shoot it more

Eta: welcome to team fag
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've already got a Gen 2 Glock 17 and factory reman early Gen 3 Glock 21.  Love them both.  I want to pick up a couple more Glock 17's.  I've seen some old Gen 2's now available out there.  Just trying to decide what others think about the reliability of the Gen 3's & 4's.  Trying to decide old school or New?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Some newer GEN3s and the GEN4s have had problems.

They may have worked through them but I prefer to take no chances.

I would buy older GEN3s. I prefer the GEN3 over the GEN2 but I wouldn't buy a current one. Buy one with a serial number starting with M, N or lower. Preferably even K or lower. I would avoid R, S, or T.

I have never had a problem with a newer GEN3 or GEN4 personally but I've only fired a few hundred rds through recent Glocks.

There is plenty of other people who had have problems recently. I've never had a problem with older Glocks. Thousands of rds through older G17s and G19s.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I switched over to a Glock earlier this year. Went with the Gen4 and have no complaints about it. It's my favorite gun and I use it as my EDC. Like others have said don't listen to the hate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Numerous changes in parts, but to the end user:

Replaceable backstraps
Different frame texture
Larger magazine release button
Redesigned recoil spring which supposedly reduces recoil
Extra mag in the box.

There have been some issues with 9mm Glocks since the Gen 4 came out, but are usually easily resolved by either sending it to Glock or replacing a couple parts.  It seems the newly manufactured ones coming out since the second quarter of this year aren't as troublesome.  I have one of the Gen 3s with a problem and even still I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Glock, I would just make sure it works before I trust my life with it (ideally this should be done with everything) and get it fixed if it needs to be.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Dual recoil spring, backstraps, texture, larger/reversible mag release, and 3 mags in the box instead of 2.

Some other minor changes to the internals as well that I don't know off the top of my head, but they're rather inconsequential.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a gen 3
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking at picking up a couple Glock 17's.  Looking for difference in Gen 3 vs. Gen 4.  Need to know the in's and out's.  Thanx in advance.

Guess a good question would also be which is better for larger hands?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply shoot a number of different guns see what fits better in your hand and what trigger you like the best....

Then buy that gun(s)..them all!!..So simple.  

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then buy that gun(s)..them all!!..So simple.  

FIFY

This I'm sure ill like one of them

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top