Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 7:07:23 AM EDT
Been doing some brass cleaning. small bucket, a table spoon of Lemi-shine and a small squirt of dish soap. Mix it by hand for 5 mins or so and rinse. throw on a towel to dry. takes off all the discolor from annealing. And a pretty good job of cleaning the  inside too. After seeing this Im going to have to get one of the wet tumblers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Now if you could find some stainless steel shot.  

It is citric acid.  Good stuff as it complexes lead from the priming, washing away your problems.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Now if you could find some stainless steel shot.  

It is citric acid.  Good stuff as it complexes lead from the priming, washing away your problems.

I was surprised at how well it worked.. and boy does it burn in fresh cuts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the only image I have handy, but this brass was cleaned in a thumbler's tumbler with lemi-shine.  The brass was fired with a suppressor and was absolutely fithly before hand.  It's great stuff.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
yup. I had baked on swaging lube that I didn't clean off before I tossed some jackets in the oven for annealing. they were black when they came out. after washing they looked as good as your brass above.. it it beat the hell out of walnut or corncob media. Also no abrasive residue I then would have to worry about going into my dies.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Approves!!!

But that is good to know. I've been wanting to get into this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yup. I had baked on swaging lube that I didn't clean off before I tossed some jackets in the oven for annealing. they were black when they came out. after washing they looked as good as your brass above.. it it beat the hell out of walnut or corncob media. Also no abrasive residue I then would have to worry about going into my dies.

Tell me more about this "annealing".  It's a strange and mysterious magic that I would like to learn someday.  I have a blow torch, so I'm half way there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you putting water in the bucket with the lemi-shine, soap and brass?  Or just when you rinse them?

I have a bunch of brass I need to clean but no tumbler at my place.  This would be an easy way for me to clean them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you putting water in the bucket with the lemi-shine, soap and brass?  Or just when you rinse them?

I have a bunch of brass I need to clean but no tumbler at my place.  This would be an easy way for me to clean them.

i took a hospital puke bucket, filled with nasty brass, about a table spoon of Lemi-shine, a squirt of dish soap, and enough hot water to cover brass then mix by hand. kneed it like bread, and really agitate it by hand. about a good 10 mins.. Drain, wash again with clean water to get all the crap out. Throw on a towel to dry.

A tumbler and SS pin media would be much better but I haven't get them yet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more about this "annealing".  It's a strange and mysterious magic that I would like to learn someday.  I have a blow torch, so I'm half way there.

pan of water, stand brass in it, heat neck to dull glow then knock it over. repeat till done. But in my case, with jackets I stick them on a cookie sheet and set the over to self clean mode.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I recommend it to my customers all the time... You should see what it does to dishwashers that are all crapped up.  

wait what? it has other uses? Tell me more!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got one of the Lyman ultra sonic cleaners. Do you all think it'd work ok with the lemi-shine and water/soap soution? It has the built in heater in it to keep the water hot. Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]
How do you all dry your brass after the Lemi-Shine treatment?

I've been drying them out on a cookie sheet in the oven @ about 175 degrees.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is what I do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#17]
You should get a Thumler's Tumbler.

Nasty brass

In tumbler barrel, with lemishine and dish soap

Add SS media

Fill with hot water

Tumble for 2 hours

Turns into this

Rinse and remove media

Like new

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I put them in a beach towel and roll them around to get the majority of the water off, then into the oven are warm for 30 min.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I use an old hair dryer.Hang it up a few inches above a container with the brass in it and let it blow for awhile.I got fancy once and made a container out of a coffee can with one hole to fit the discharge on the dryer and had vent holes in the opposite end for continuous air flow.It worked like majic!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty brass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Can you do this to nickle plated brass?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't see why not.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Gonna have to try this for my .308 brass
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've heard reports of people getting darkened/blackened nickel brass, supposedly from using too much Lemi-Shine. Never experienced it myself, but I do thoroughly rinse and dry brass immediately after tumbling 2 hours. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Where do I get the SS pin media?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Clothes dryer with some towels for 3 minutes on medium heat.

Makes a hellacious racket, but it shakes all the water out of the cases and gets them bone dry in only a couple of minutes.

eta: Don't overload the dryer.  No more than 10 pounds of brass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Check the reliading forum... There's a thread on "how I built my own stainless tumbler"

Home built units are cheaper and better than that thumbler unit.
The one I built can do 700 .223 cases at a go.

Been running it for a year... Thousands of pieces of brass...

Best brass cleaning system evaaaarrr
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I get the SS pin media?

Pellets Plus

Midway has them as well
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clothes dryer with some towels for 3 minutes on medium heat.

Makes a hellacious racket, but it shakes all the water out of the cases and gets them bone dry in only a couple of minutes.

eta: Don't overload the dryer.  No more than 10 pounds of brass.

Yes, it IS LOUD.  But it does a great job drying cases, imagine that.

I bet ultrasonic cleaning with Lemishine would be the ultimate cleaning.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#34]

I think I'm sold on a wet tumbler after reading this. I use walnut and a older tumbler, my brass looks like crap. I know it's 'clean' but they just don't look nice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Thoughts on wet solution's ability to delube?

I've tried washing brass after processing with dish soap in a clothes washer, but it just doesn't seem to do nearly as good a job at getting the lube off as tumbling with corncob or walnut.

I really like the idea of switching to a wet tumbler if for nothing else than to stop abusing my lungs with corncob dust.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#37]
You guys are slipping...must be all the turkey!  

GO HERE TO CLEAN YOUR BRASS!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top